Author Topic: Learn Chinese and about China  (Read 7413 times)

Offline Hajo

Learn Chinese and about China
« on: April 25, 2011, 01:22:35 pm »
Hi,

During my search for Chinese language courses, I found a course at CCTV News homepage. Its called "Growing up with Chinese". The movie clips not only teach Chinese, the teacher explains also some things about Chinese culture. Even if you do not want to learn the language, I think the series has some good hints for those who want to more about Chinese.

For example, that Chinese people think you are at good health when they say, you are fat. Did you imagine that?

Have fun. The link comes here: http://english.cntv.cn/learnchinese/

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:24:58 pm by Hajo »
爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式来爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Offline sunny

• 庄生晓梦迷蝴蝶
Re: Learn Chinese and about China
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 02:10:50 pm »
For example, that Chinese people think you are at good health when they say, you are fat. Did you imagine that?

Haha. Are you sure about that? ;)  I'd never heard it before. Usually we say you are so strong or your face  is in the pink when we think you are at good health.

Anyway, it is fun to learn a new language and a new culture. Keep going.

Thanks for sharing.

Sunny

Offline Hajo

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 02:54:23 pm »
hehe, I must admit that I haven't heard it before. But I have heard Chinese saying "you have gotten fatter (pang)" and that wasn't meant negative. The Chinese language isn't always to understand straight away ;-)

I thought Chinese would call me "fei fei de (肥肥的)" if I was a fat person.

Thanks for your input. Always nice to learn something new :)
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Arnold

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 03:25:01 pm »

I must agree with Hajo on this . Qing's Brother , after seeing some Photo's of us ( actually me ) as of late .. he made a comment .. that I'm starting to look Fat . This was meant ( as Qing explained ) that I look Good/Healthy and besides .. that his Sister is taking good care of me . He is sooo right on both ! haha

Offline sunny

• 庄生晓梦迷蝴蝶
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »

I must agree with Hajo on this . Qing's Brother , after seeing some Photo's of us ( actually me ) as of late .. he made a comment .. that I'm starting to look Fat . This was meant ( as Qing explained ) that I look Good/Healthy and besides .. that his Sister is taking good care of me . He is sooo right on both ! haha

That's so funny! There are two chinese words to discribe the person who is gravitationally challenged, 胖(pang)and 肥(fei).

胖(pang)is much more positive, espicially when we use it for a baby. for example, when we meet our friend's baby, we will say" how pang he is!" As Arnold said, that means the parents taking good care of baby. haha.  Of course,It is the same meaning when we  say "you looks pang+er than before" to a person who was very thin.

肥(fei)is kind of negative and more serious. we seldom use it. but it can be a nickname used by the people who are very close. there was a very famous comedy actress named "feifei(肥肥)" in hongkong. She was really fat and smart. She had a lot of fans all over the world.

Traditionally, we don't think fat is the bad thing in china. Fat usually means carefree and contented. If you worry about things too much all the day, how could you be fat?

But, be carefully, never say pang or fei to  your lady even though she wants you be honest....this moment  thinking about  the Catch-22. haha.

good luck!

sunny

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 10:26:00 pm »
You are soo right Sunny, my wife (also called Sunny!) cant understand why I keep going on about loosing weight, she says she likes me big and strong and doesn't want me to loose weight:)
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Hajo

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:28:02 pm »
You are soo right Sunny, my wife (also called Sunny!) cant understand why I keep going on about loosing weight, she says she likes me big and strong and doesn't want me to loose weight:)

Yes Ronan, its the same over here. I keep telling my wife that I want to drop some weight. But she keeps telling me that there is no need and that I look good as I am.  8)

Sunny: Thanks for your explanation. That is a big help in the process of understanding Chinese language.

Well, I have learned never to comment on a ladies weight or age  ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:14:08 am by Hajo »

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 12:14:01 am »
My wife tells me too that she loves me for who i am and will love no matter what i look like, I was a very unhappy 132kgs just before we started contact and have nearly lost 30kgs since, She has given me a new lease on life and i want to look my best for her.

Arnold

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 11:35:53 am »
She has given me a new lease on life and i want to look my best for her.

John , remember .. our Member's also have to look good for our Forum too !  :D 8)

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 08:42:46 am »
Here is an article that I pulled from a Chinese magazine. The author has researched the internet and found several courses for learning Chinese. These are his recomendations.

Seven Free Online Resources for Learning Chinese FasterSubmitted by Cythera

Are you learning Chinese? If so, you've already searched the internet for information that'll help you learn Chinese. What do you find? Lots of sites offering free information on learning Chinese.

I did an online search recently and realized that with all the free Chinese language information out there, it can be confusing for a beginner learning Chinese to figure out what's useful and what's not.

For you, the Chinese beginner, where should you start? Which are the sites that offer you practical advice and Chinese phrases you can use immediately?

I've put together a select list of useful, free online resources to jump start your learning of Chinese and help you get better results in less time.

Learn Chinese Resource #1:
Free mini-course -- “How to Learn Chinese with More Fun and in Less Time in Five Easy Steps”
This is the only step-by-step guide available online that gives you proven tips on how to approach the study of Chinese for better and faster results AND the 80% of important basics you’ll need to know -- in 20% of the time.

Many sites on the internet offer free information on learning Chinese. They either provide too much information and get too academic or their information are badly organized.

They don't tell you how you should approach the study of Chinese for better results. How you learn Chinese is more important than what you learn! And they aren’t focused on delivering ONLY the most important basics of listening, speaking, writing, reading you'll need to know at the beginning stage.

That's why I put together this mini-course for you based on my own experience of becoming effectively fluent in spoken and written Chinese. It's a step-by-step guide to learning Chinese for the beginner that’ll save you time (and all the headaches!) and gets you the results you want.

URL: http://www.living-chinese-symbols.com/learning-chinese

Learn Chinese Resource #2:
Chinese Pod
Free, daily Chinese conversational audio mp3 lessons (called podcasts) based on real situations (ordering food, renting an apartment, talking about yourself etc.) you can download, listen and review on the go to start speaking Mandarin right away

Chinese pod audio lessons are not only free, they're free AND very good. Teachers Ken and Jenny are great teachers. Go download these free audio mp3 Chinese conversational lessons for all levels in the Podcast Archive while you can! Chinese pod offers an interesting and effective way to learn and start speaking Mandarin right away!

Start with their New User Guide. You can sign up for their 7-day trial which gives you access to additional features like dialogue transcripts in Chinese, English, and pinyin, access to their learning Chinese center, and a 30,000 word glossary.

URL: http://www.living-chinese-symbols.com/chinese-pod

Learn Chinese Resource#3
Bryan Todd's “5 Beginner Steps to Learning Chinese Faster”
Real experiences of an American learning Chinese in China. Bryan Todd’s funny and useful “5 Beginner Steps to Learning Chinese Faster” free email course doesn't teach you Chinese but describes a beginner's strategy for how to get out into a real Chinese-speaking environment and learn it for yourself.

URL: http://www.living-chinese-symbols.com/master-chinese-faster

Learn Chinese Resource #4:
BBC Real Chinese
For those who plan to travel to China, learn useful Chinese phrases (note: no Chinese characters, only in pinyin, the Romanized script) for introducing yourself, getting around, shopping, booking a hotel in China etc. in this interesting ten-part, online beginner's Mandarin course in slideshow format with text, images and audio followed by a one-minute video shot in China and cultural notes.

URL: http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/chinese/real_chinese/index.shtml

Learn Chinese Resource #5:
Chinese Forums
Find like-minded, motivated Chinese learners to discuss topics related to learning Chinese and Chinese culture

Chinese-forums.com is an online community of people with an interest in learning Chinese language and culture. When you're just starting to learn Chinese, keeping yourself motivated is vital for getting results. This is where you'll find other motivated Chinese learners of all skill levels to exchange tips and information whether it's about overcoming difficulties in learning Chinese Mandarin or sharing your favorite Chinese movie or travel destination in China.

URL: http://www.chinese-forums.com

Learn Chinese Resource #6:
CRI Radio
A great site to read and listen to radio broadcasts in English and Chinese about China and life in China – China news, culture, sports, travel, entertainment etc.

URL: http://en.chinabroadcast.cn

Learn Chinese Resource #7:
Chinese Fonts
If you're not reading Chinese characters properly on your computer, like the chinese words for “learn Chinese” 学中文 follow the link to find out how to display and type Chinese fonts on your Windows or Mac computer.

URL: http://www.living-chinese-symbols.com/chinese-fonts.html

There you have it -- seven free online resources for learning Chinese faster.

If there's any “secret” to learning Chinese faster and with better results, it's this: learn a little, use a lot!

Don't be afraid of making mistakes, or fret about getting the pronunciation right.

Start by speaking Mandarin with Chinese friends whenever you can and you'll be surprised at how much you can accomplish in a short time!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Liow Kah Joon is the award-winning author of the children's book about China “A Musical Journey: From the Great Wall of China to the Water Towns of Jiangnan”. Kah Joon's Living-Chinese-Symbols site is a handy guide to the Chinese language and lifestyle. You can sign up for his free monthly Chinese Symbols ezine at http://www.living-chinese-symbols.com.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 06:05:45 am »
Traditionally, we don't think fat is the bad thing in china. Fat usually means carefree and contented. If you worry about things too much all the day, how could you be fat?

sunny

Sounds like Santa Claus Syndrome :P  Bonny Bouncy Jolly type fat man :P