Author Topic: Any experience with Air China?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline kevster4355

Any experience with Air China?
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:13:05 pm »
I have been trying to book a flight originating in Detroit and ending in Shenyang, near Beijing. The problem is, as a package the leg from Beijing to Shenyang is $600 American for a 1 hour flight, round trip. If I book that leg on China Air, it is $265.

I am on a tight budget and that $335 is important to me. Anyone have experience booking flights directly with Chinese carriers? Are they on time? Do they honor their tickets? I am considering staying in Beijing and catching a flight to Shenyang the next day, just so I am sure I can be on time (reverse for return leg).

I would appreciate any help. I was planning on leaving Detroit July 12 and returning July 28. This has become rather difficult, unless I want to pay top dollar.

Kevin Warren

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
Re: Any experience with Air China?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 11:28:58 pm »
I have flown with Air china on 2 different trips and never had problems. I booked those two trips from Canada. First time I flew Air Canada - LA, then using China Air LA - Beijing, Finally Beijing - Shenzhen. I returned not through LA but Vancover. My trip last October I flew both ways Calgary - Vancover - Beijing - Shenzhen using Air China for all parts outside North America.

On my first trip ever to China, back in December 2008 I went with the girl I was writing to, to Hainan Island. We booked tickets on a tour package flying from Shenzhen to Haikou on Hainan Airlines. I was not liking the tour that much and we did not carry on with them because I wished to stay in Sanya for an extra day. Since the tour was returning to Haikou for the return flight, we ended up booking tickets to go from Sanya to Shenzhen on Shenzhen airlines. I never had any problems with any of the carriers I travelled on.

Try http://english.ctrip.com/ to get pricing ideas on flights and hotels.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:31:08 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:59:37 pm »
the airplane you will be flying on will be Air China. if you pay $265 or much more it will still be the same Air China 737. I think American may be partnered with Air China on domestic flights within that country.
another thing you may consider, I think strongly consider, fly a foreign flagged airline. Chances are the plane is newer, the routine maintenance is routinely done (easy to understand that ambiguity), the service is much better.
to Beijing, I check Orbitz "3 days before/ 3 days after". My airline of preference is Air Korea (which is required to stop in Seoul) but the layover there is less than 3 hours. 2nd preference is Hainan Air. Korean flies Boeing 777s and Hainan Airbus A330s.

my wife is in Shenyang. That is where I go via Beijing.
on all international travel I fly foreign flagged airlines.
I fly out of Seattle. I am retired from Boeing.

I do hope that helps you in your quest for happiness.  :)

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 12:45:17 am »
If you want to save even more money take the train fromBeijing to Shenyang. It is only 4 hours.

My last trip, Rachel booked everythin and picked me up at the train station in Shenyang.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline kevster4355

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 01:05:33 am »
Thanks to all of you. This is my first trip to China. I did book the flight separately with China Air from Beijing to Shenyang for $241 instead of $710 through Continental. They say the additional cost is due to having to guarantee my arrival if there were flight delays, missed flights that were their fault. I guess I can always take the train if something happens.Waiting now for confirmation (acceptance). I thought about taking the train, but I am not familiar, at all, with China. Maybe next time.

I will be in Shenyang with my lady for a few days,and in Fushun for about 10 days. She will need to work at times, and I will have some time on my hands. Any ideas, suggestions on how to fill the time by myself? Anyone happen to be in Shenyang or Fushun July 14 through July 27?

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:20:26 am »
Shenyang airport is outside the town a little way.  the flight is just over an hour and very easy to connect. the airport is small so it is not difficult to find the luggage and the lady.  newly paved roads make the trip to town very quick and easy.   All china air and international flights are in terminal three. 

the train ride takes 4 hours if you go with the fast train.  the cost of the ticket was just over 120 RMB last time I went.  I prefer the train, but if you have luggage from the plane, it will connect to the Shenyang flight and be less of a bother. 

won't be back in the area until late september.  wish you well,  relax and enjoy the trip. 

buzz

Offline joeswuhandream

• the good life with a good wife
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 01:09:07 pm »
my recommendation is china southern airways decent service  and good price  check them out 
regars joey and sophia   :)