Author Topic: Chungking Express  (Read 5300 times)

Offline Philip

Chungking Express
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:21:05 am »
Of course, I mean Chongqing. ;) And there is no Chongqing Express. Most trains take more than a day to get there from Shenzhen. (Although high –speed rail will get there by 2015). And the eponymous film is set in Hong Kong by a Hong Kong director with Hong Kong actors.
Which brings us to me. I am in Hong Kong. My wife and I are thinking about Chongqing as a possibility for a move next year.  :-\ Does anyone have any ideas/impressions/thoughts about this city? As a municipality of 33 million people, it could be the biggest city in the world. It could also be the most polluted city in the world. (though I hear the city is being planted with thousands of Gingko Biloba trees, the governor’s favourite! :D). Big on strontium reserves, big on HP computers, motorbikes, cars and coal. Big on people movement. Big on spicy food and spicier girls. Big on Yangtse gorges. Big.
I have the chance to transfer to Chongqing from my present school to a sister international school. Same wages, but they will go further in China than Hong Kong.
I know Sly had his first excellent adventure there, but if anyone can tell me anything, it would help inform the decision. We might go there next month on a recce.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
Re: Chungking Express
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:25:23 am »
Hi Philip , Yes I have been there , and it would depend where in the city your school ha ha is located , as ChongQing central is located in a valley type area it does get misty/polluted , but as in the immediate area there are no super dirty industries my friends call it a mist , as a city I fell for its charm , but in 2 weeks I think I saw about 10 percent , once you clear the city [ 20 min ] and get out of the valley the sky was clear .
 Yes the recce idea is a good one and yes your money would go further , but as you can imagine you would have to check apartment costs in such a vibrant city , the first week I stayed at the Hilton at a bloody cheap rate about 10 mins from the central mall by taxi , about 240 rmd a night and the 2nd week stayed in an apartment just off the main mall , not as nice but half the price .
 As my computer crashed I will have to check for photo's and post some if available of course but it is widely known that on most ratings Chongqing ladies are the prettiest in China which has to do with the tropical mist and all the walking they do , regards Robert . 
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Philip

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:55:12 am »
Thanks for that Robert. The school is in Yubei, in the north of the city, right next to the airport and close to Chonqing North station, so I can travel to my beloved Changsha if I feel the urge. The second monorail line, which is due to complete this year, goes from there into the centre of town. I believe it is about 20km north of the port, just before you hit proper mountains.

Offline Mag00

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 02:57:15 pm »
If it won't get there until 2015.. why in the hell do you call it High Speed??????

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• bopads.info
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:53:52 am »
Philip , where you are talking about the air is blue sky most of the time , you are above the mist/pollution of the central city , lots of new gated apartment complexes so rents should be okay , but might be a little snow in winter for a couple of months , regards Sujuan and Robert .
 ps ; this is 1 town I am NOT allowed to visit without Sujuan in tow ha ha .
My QQ is   1994376895

Offline Philip

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 01:27:32 am »
Thanks Robert. Sounds good. We will have a look at the school when we visit Chongqing in the middle of next month (Hong Kong school holidays are a mix between Western and Chinese, so luckily my school follows the western model for the autumn break, whereas the Chongqing school follows the Chinese model, and is the week following national day).
My wife likes to accompoany me everywhere I go in China. Maybe she is afraid I will get lost. But that does not adequately explain why she likes to sit in on all my massage sessions. Perhaps she is making an academic study of massage parlours. ;)

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:35:21 am »
I got the email yesterday that Chongqing Jiaotong Uni has agreed to hire me :D so I'll be in CQ as soon as the paperwork is all settled. This morning I printed off the contract they sent me, signed it and scanned it and emailed it back so along with the other stuff they have they can apply for my FEC and Invitation letter... By this time next month I should be in CQ :D

I'll be in Nan'an, just across the river from my girl in Dadukau :D

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• bopads.info
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:17:50 am »
Great news Kiwi303 , we will await further news , good luck regards Sujuan and Robert .
My QQ is   1994376895

Offline Philip

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 11:02:58 pm »
I got the email yesterday that Chongqing Jiaotong Uni has agreed to hire me :D so I'll be in CQ as soon as the paperwork is all settled. This morning I printed off the contract they sent me, signed it and scanned it and emailed it back so along with the other stuff they have they can apply for my FEC and Invitation letter... By this time next month I should be in CQ :D

I'll be in Nan'an, just across the river from my girl in Dadukau :D

Hi Kiwi303,
have you started work in Chongqing yet? How's it going? How's the job? How's the city? I would be very interested to find out.