Expats in Asia > Retirement in Asia

Places to live in China. Retire here?

(1/5) > >>

Pineau:
Places to live in China.

I sometimes let my mind wander and consider what I would do if Fiona never gets a VISA or what it would be like to live here permanently.
The only one I know of that has made the move is Willy and I know about where he lives. ( about an hour south of me) But after living here in Guangzhou going on a year I can say without a doubt that this is not the place for me. There are several reasons but primarialy it just too hot and dirty and too many people in the inner city. But thats not the only consideration. Cost of living and accessibility to the creature comforts should also be considered.

So I am looking for alternatives for retirement. Im not thinking about a job.  I just want a comfortable place to retire. Are there any expats on this forum that could share their experience and research ? 

I have been to Beihai and I dont think it is right for me. It is also too hot and humid. In fact I have not been anywhere in China that was not hot and humid compared to the foothills of Colorado. I gave my report in another post. 

I remember someone here was asking/going to Weihai and was going to report but I dont remember if he ever did. I checked on the climate on the wiki page and it gets damn cold there.

At the moment I am looking at Qingdao and it appears to be a better choice that any of the others I have considered. So who is the Qingdao expert/expat. I found a website that shows a cost of living comparison between where you live and where you are considering and it says Qingdao is 26% cheaper cost of living.  http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/guangzhou/qingdao

If you reply, please place the city name on the first line by itself. It makes searching easier. For example.

Qingdao
bla...bla...bla

Beijing
bla...bla...bla

Scottish_Robbie:
I'm in agreement with Mike on Qingdao.

However, I must also lean towards Zhucheng, beautiful place, very clean, lots to do ;D

Pineau:
Next stop Qingdao.

I can't find any historical weather for Zhucheng but it should not be too different from Qingdao.  I just missed the beer fest so there wont be so many tourists milling around. Maybe I can see them both. Zhucheng is only 2 hours away. Its just 78 degrees there at the moment. 

Ha, Fiona does not like the idea. She says Qingdao is full of pretty girls. Well that settles it. I need to go look!

Chong:
Kaiping

1.5 hours south of Guangzhou but there's nothing to do there, tourist-wise. But housing is 25%-40% cheaper than the big cities. Population is only 800,000.

The big question is where your wife wants to go. She needs to be close to her family. Perhaps 1.5 hours north, east, west or south of Guangzhou ???

Willy The Londoner:
I prefer where i am.  A short ferry ride to Hong Kong or a bus ride to the Macoa border and great night life.

Cheaper to live than GZ and more important closer to Hong Kong airport or their hospitals in an emergency. 

I would not live anywhere else.  Obviously very warm in summer but temp starting to drop now. Run a/c during day when I am at home

Willy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version