Expats in Asia > Retirement in Asia

Places to live in China. Retire here?

<< < (5/5)

Pineau:
I recall 12 years ago in Shenzhen it was much like this. There was construction everywhere, cranes on top of buildings, more bright shiny buildings than you could count. The trouble was that the were all empty! Security guards at the doors of empty lobby's.  That went on for years but now look at Shenzhen. Those building are full and they are tearing down old neighborhoods to make room for more high-rise housing. Its just taken 12 years time and that is one of China's biggest resources... time.

Willy The Londoner:
When I came to Zhongshan over 5 years ago the place we bought was on the edge of the city and over that time the city has spread long beyond us. Everywhere I look there are tower cranes and new complexes. 

We have bought our second home a little bit further toward the edge of town and there are 20 more floors above the one we bought and all have been sold even though they look empty.  This is probably because it takes a long while after the outside is completed as it takes many months for the inside to be ready for occupation.  Before we found the one we bought we looked at many more complexes but most already sold out.

Everywhere I look there are more cranes appearing and more complexes under way and what was a city of 2.5 million people five years ago is getting bigger every day.

Situated between the more expensive cities of Shenzhen and Zhuhai our lower home prices are attracting the newcomers.

Willy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version