Author Topic: Getting ready for my first trip to China ...  (Read 14100 times)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
Re: Getting ready for my first trip to China ...
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 11:51:58 pm »
Best of luck on your travels. China is a beautiful country. I am sure that this will be a memorable experience. Enjoy.

Offline daghoi

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 05:11:46 am »
Have a nice trip and enjoy.
 Looks like you have a generous amount of time to spend, that would make it possible to see and digest a lot of adventures. Wish it was me that had that much time available to spend on a trip :)  I’m sure it will be an experience for a life time. My advice, (ok I know you did not ask for it, but you get it anyway), is to read up on things so you have your options/alternatives ready. On the other hand do not make too many specific plans. After you have stayed a few days in china, you will probably be surprised on how easy it is to travel there. You will also meet other people there that share their experience with you.

Yangshou was on of the first places I visited first time I went to China. I have found memories of the place. I would recommend the “Impression Sanjie Liu Show”. First i thought i was not for me, but I was strongly recommended to go and see it by another tourist. It was great and different from anything I have every seen. Other thing you might consider is the “Longsheng Rice Terraces” it is a couple of hours drive from Yangshou, I never got there, but I wish I did.
Imho, two weeks in Yangshou seems a too much, 1 week would give you enough time. If possible keep your plans open, so you are free to travel when you are happy.   
http://www.visitguilin.org/index.php/en/sightseeing/attractions-a-activities

While I’m at it, thumbs up for LiJiang. It has a little bit of “Disney” feel about it, but well worth a visit. You can also visit Qiaotu, which is close by. It is the same style as LiJiang, but not as crowded. If you like nature scenery, Tiger Leaping Gorge is a just few hours from LiJiang/Qiaotu.
As you know is so much to see, I’m sure you will have great fun.

..ok I need to stop new,  getting too enthusiastic ... ;D

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 09:34:25 am »
6WEEKS -I'm 6 times jealous! I know China wasn't like my home, but it was those differences that I missed, when I got back home. I guess what I am trying to say is....don't be like me. My first trip was partially ruined by my expectations of what a place should be like. I wish I would have just gone with the flow from the start(I did on my second trip) and I must say, if my LaoPuo didn't have her heart set on coming to America, I would move to China in a heart beat. Have fun -Be Safe but most of all Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy.
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline Iceland

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 07:51:37 am »
Thank you all for your tips and good wishes.

Yes, to "go with the flow" is exactly what I will try to do while I am in China. Although I have planned my route and booked hotels until November 14 I don't know what I will be doing for the last two weeks. By then I am hoping to have caught the "flow".

But it is a 5 week trip, not 6 as I said before. I am departing on Monday, October 24th and back again on December 2nd. I only got a 40 days visa. But I aim to go back in January and stay even longer then, depending of course on the outcome of this initial trip.

Bergur.

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 08:43:41 am »
Dear Bergur,
I wanted to tell you......that before my 1st trip. I went to my local health department to make sure if my shots where up to date, or if I needed anything before I took off. There I was hit with "horror" stories, and told to only drink, and brush my teeth with bottled water. To only eat at nice hotels or well established eateries.
I guess it depends on one's immune system, but I myself drank any and all  water offered (Nanning was hot) and ate from street vendors -markets and even from a man with a cooker on the back of his bicycle with no ill effects. I only got sick after eating half raw hamburger after I reached Los Angeles .... go figure!
Take this advice  for what it's worth (you know yourself better than anybody)
I will say I felt pretty cool telling people "no I didn't eat any dog, but the rat and bat were pretty dang good"
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Vince G

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 09:37:16 am »
You had Rat and a Bat so next is a Cat while wearing a Hat.  Hey I just woke up, what do you expect? lol

Offline shaun

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 05:39:20 pm »
While sitting on a mat talking to Pat about a spat.

That went over with a splat.

Were the rat and bat in a vat?

Be careful because that kind of food will make you fat.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:42:08 pm by shaun »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 10:34:55 pm »
I have always cleaned my teeth with the tap water from day one.  But it depends on your body matabolism I suppose.  40 years of suffering my own cooking probably enables me to eat and drink just about anything.  As the locals rarely drink tap water then I follow suit. The only place that I ever drank bad water was in Las Vegas and then that only had a minor short term effect for an hour or so.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Iceland

Updated: Getting ready for my first trip to China ...
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »
I am not getting ready any longer. I am here ... in Zhongshan. This is my first day.

First impression: Nice. Second impression: Very nice. Third impression: Fantastic.

I'll write about it soon ... today, I will be going to places in the city with my lovely guide, Athena, and me and Willy are going to meet!

Already taken a few pics and taking more, and I will of course upload them here soon.

Bergur.

ps. By the way ... My only worry for this trip was that I would not be able to use the Internet for my work because vital websites are closed in China. Turns out, I didn't have to worry. My VPN-access bypasses all bans, everywhere. Thanks, surfbouncer.com. Now I can really start thinking about moving here.

Arnold

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 09:56:11 pm »
Bergur , first impression .. very nice Post . Second impr... heck there isn't one yet .
Glad you landed on HAPPY grounds so far , keep it going ! Looking forward for more Impressions and Photo's of course .

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 03:05:42 am »
Bergur , well done , and we look forward to reading more over the coming days , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Iceland

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 01:20:43 pm »
The first video of many ... pictures coming up ... bunch of them.

This is me, Willy and Athena going to lunch, October 26, 2011.

http://youtu.be/IaLsGKzGuQw

And here you have the first of the pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115822189439807878507/MyChinaTrip

Bergur.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:44:08 pm by Iceland »

Arnold

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 01:53:29 pm »
Super Bergur , thanks for both Video and Photo's ! Question , is Willy as nice .. as we think He is ? haha

Offline Iceland

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 02:20:33 pm »
Super Bergur , thanks for both Video and Photo's ! Question , is Willy as nice .. as we think He is ? haha

Oh, he is nicer ... as nice as they come  :)

I am going to meet him again when I return to Zhongshan in the end of November and hopefully to spend more time with him then than I could today. I also did not meet his wife this time but I hope I do that when I return. Right Willy?

BTW ... here is a video of the Yihe Grand Hotel entrance and lobby. Very nice Hotel indeed!

http://youtu.be/Pp3mYYSss3M

Bergur

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 08:15:52 pm »

This is me, Willy and Athena going to lunch, October 26, 2011.

[

I see Willy did not take you to the Vienna restaurant, I guess this place was for lunch and not supper?
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances