Author Topic: Another Small step !!  (Read 4187 times)

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
Another Small step !!
« on: October 11, 2011, 05:13:07 am »
Today all is happy in our little World...Ming passed the theory exam for her Driving License and now has a Provisional Drivers Permit for Aus. Next step is some driving lessons which commence on Thursday.
Due credit to her for applying herself to language skills so that she could sit this exam. She got a good pass mark...96%,

Tomorrow we go off to look at suitable cars for her...she has her eye on a BMW X3...but no way will this be her first car in Aus....too many possibiities of kerb scrapes, various bumps and scratches !!!...so we will probably settle for a Hyundai !!!!

I know she has been frustrated at her lack of mobility, she has several friends (Chinese) here in Perth and geting to see them means lengthy bus and train journeys, or waiting for when I can drive her to see them. Hopefully, she will quickly get to the Driving Test stage, because she already is an experienced driver...just needs to learn to drive on the correct side and to actually understand that there ARE road rules in Perth...unlike Chengdu where rules dont exist !!!

BTW, Our Government has really tightened up the rules for identification of Chinese people applying for drivers permits...more documents needed than the Immigration Department !!! Apparently there was a big racket in operation in Perth whereby Chinese people paid for someone to do the driving test for them using their ID document. Now they need certified copies of Passport, Driving License, Bank Statement, proof of residential address, letter addressed to actual person at actual residential address from a Government Department...whew !! what a rave. Once again, some Chinese prove to be masters of deciet and fraud.......as usual makes it tough for genuine people. But that applies the World over  ;D ;D

Offline Peter Arnold

• Milestogo
Re: Another Small step !!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:31:38 am »
David, Good to hear that Ming is fitting in and applying herself. Public transport is nowhere near as good here as in China, and as cheap. I had a good laugh at your choice of first car for Ming. They are a throwaway car. I guess you would have to promise to buy her a better car at a later date, or there could be repercussions!
It is never too late to be what you might have been

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:10:22 am »
Has anyone noticed that in China all drivers give wide berths to a Porche, 7 series Beamers and big Mercs.  They seem so scared that their own vehicle will take control and drive into those hefty price repair jobs.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Vince G

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:49:20 am »
Apparently there was a big racket in operation in Perth whereby Chinese people paid for someone to do the driving test for them using their ID document.

Here in Florida they got around all of it. No test to take and they didn't even have to go inside the office to get their license. This happened several times before they were caught. A large 8 passenger van (mostly Haitians) pulls up in front of the office and one of the clerks comes out and hands over the drivers licenses and collects between $3000 - 5000. each and they drive away. True story, four clerks were fired? Nothing said of taking those licenses back?

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 06:15:35 pm »
What a strange World we live in !!!!

We went to dinner with friends the other day and all had a laugh over our own little "United Nations"....

A Scotsman with his Russian Wife, enjoying dinner with a Welshman and his Chinese Wife, at an Indian Restaraunt in Perth, Australia that was owned and managed by a couple from Turkey !!!!!

Not an Aussie in sight  ;D ;D ;D...just joking...apart from Ming we are all Aussies, but by Grant, not Birth.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 07:22:09 pm »
So I suppose the food was Indian, but where, per chance was the wine from?
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Arnold

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 08:10:31 pm »
So I suppose the food was Indian, but where, per chance was the wine from?

Ahh ha .. now I know why we had a shortage of "RED" Wine this year in Calif. . It all went down under and I don't mean under the Press .

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 09:02:10 pm »
Please give Ming my Congratulations on her job well done. :D I am extremely impressed, seeing as your whole country drives on the wrong side of the road.........from the wrong side of the car ;)
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 05:14:58 am »
Yes, I know the Forum has been quiet lately.....I puzzle to know what to tell you all about our life here in Aus now that Ming has been here over 4 months....

She passed her Learners Permit written exam. (in English by the way) and can now legally drive with "L" plates if accompanied by a licensed driver (me !!) She is also taking lessons from a real Driving School so we hope that soon she will get her own License.

She cleans her new little Hyundai I20 every day...but wont clean my car  >:( >:(

She met a girl on-line who came to Perth the day after she arrrived. This girl came on a fiance visa and tomorrow she will get married and we are going to the wedding. Ming was astounded when I told her that the place of their wedding was 400 KM South of Perth and we have a long drive ahead of us tomorrow. But it will give Ming a chance to see some of the real Aus countryside !!!

I am getting withdrawal symptoms from lack of Chinese food, Ming is so fond of western food that we dont eat much Chinese any more...or is this a plot to get me to do more of the cooking ???

She says her health, appetite and skin have improved immensely in our clean, clear air and warm climate. The dryness and lack of humidity enables her to indulge herself in gallons of different face creams and moisturisers...and as was posted recently, she has a phobia about getting a tanned face/body. Despite telling her that a sun-tan is considered very attractive here...she insists "white is best"...I dont argue...its in their genes !!!

In summary guys...I am in hog heaven, Being together is better than I could ever imagine, every day I see more and more of the real character of this lovely Woman...........whatever you poor sods who are waiting, waiting, waiting are going through...I can assure you it is worth the wait. But nevertheless, I hope for speedy resolution for all of you.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 09:40:20 am »
...she insists "white is best"...I dont argue...its in their genes !!!

And here I thought denim genes was coloured blue  :o 

But then if you are happy with her, you wouldn't be feeling blue  ::)

I wish the two of you a wonderfull road trip and maybe you will have a Hollywoodised (Dude Dundee, where's your car?) story to retell us here after your outback adventure.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Arnold

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 11:22:40 am »
Nice update David ! It is worth every Penny/Tear/Time apart/Dealing with .. you know who .. in the End .

Have a great 400 Kl drive and enjoy the Wedding ! You going to let Ming drive part of that Trip ? How's your Hand coming along .. almost Healed ?

Looking forward to an interesting Report afterwards .

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 07:32:04 pm »
Just 400k. all your going to see is a few Kangaroos and the occasional Wallaby.  And a few of those Cane Toads that we see being squashed in the road.

But never mind you will have great company with you on that drive.

AND you may get some Chinese food at the wedding.

Willy

P.S. and watch out for that other famous Aussie creature - Crocodile Dundee.
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 08:43:46 pm »
Willy , in Western Australia 400 km is the next suburb  ;D .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline shaun

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 10:21:18 pm »
Don 't go too far David.  You know Australia if the last place before you drop off of the edge.  ;D