Author Topic: My happiest day .....yet  (Read 3236 times)

Offline JamesM.Roberts

My happiest day .....yet
« on: October 18, 2011, 07:58:05 am »
My trip in April was a 27 hour (including layovers) flight to Guangzhou, as I had to get my "singles certificate" at the U.S. consulate there.  I didn't sleep a wink the night before my flight, with packing and re-packing. Didn't sleep a wink on the plane either, as I was too excited ( I was about to get married) nervous (was my paperwork in order?) worried (would Ping be there to meet me at the airport....was her train on time?)
You get the idea....no way, was sleep coming my way.

My plane landed on time 8 am, and for some reason I blew through customs, never even got stopped or showed anyone my visa. I was in Guangzhou airport for less than 5 minutes. Turned the corner and there was a bunch of Chinese people standing behind a rope and there at the opening, looking even more lovely than I remembered was Ping. ;D She quickly grabbed a hold of my hand, and we were out the door to grab a taxi.

Ping had rented a room in a lady's home, right  around the corner from the U.S. consulate.
After a very quick shower and a bowl of noodles, we were racing to the Consulate office (my appointment was for 9:30am) Now do you understand why I was so nervous. There was no room in my schedule for any delays. We actually arrived 15 minutes early and was surprised at the ease of receiving my Singles certificate. We were both so happy walking back to the room she had rented. Little did I know that we were only going there to pick up my luggage, so we could catch the 11:00am train to Nanning.
So after being up for 50+ hours I was about to make a 13 hour train ride to Nanning...oh joy! To make matters worse, no sleeper cars left, so it would be 13 hours on a hard bench....my butt was blistered.

I do want to say to any of our new members,
this is my favorite way to get around China. This is the best way to find out just how friendly the Chinese are. Stick everyone on hard benches for 13 hours, and you will find out how they make the best of a bad situation. They come through with carts selling food and drinks and everyone in my area bought something different and we all shared everything. I talked with several people on the trip, and people who were strangers when we boarded were friends by the time we arrived in Nanning. God I love this Country!!
We finally made it to the hotel, and you know what.....I could only sleep for 4 hours :o

The next day we took the bus to the Nanning Civil affairs and Marriage registration office, and 30 minutes later I was walking out with my prized redbook in one hand and the hand of my love in the other. My next posting will be "The Wedding Dinner" please stay tuned.....and thank you my Brothers

Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline john1964

• finally together
Re: My happiest day .....yet
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:29:42 am »
Ping and James, I know the joy of receiving the "red books", Congratulations to the both of you, Keep us all posted of "the wedding dinner" , MinYing and John .

Offline Iceland

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:42:51 am »
Congratulations to both of you. Where are you now? In Nanning?

Bergur.

Offline lfputman3

• Don't count the days until, count the days after
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 09:35:04 pm »
Congrats James, all the best to the two of you and yes, keep us all posted.

P.S. The rumor is, it's not the single's certificate that's slow in Guangzhou... but I am sure you and I will both be dealing with them on that other issue soon enough...

Lloyd
Better to plunge in and drowned, than sit on the pier wondering.

1744748245@qq.com

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 10:40:27 am »
Congratulations to both of you. Where are you now? In Nanning?

Bergur.

I WISH!!! I am back in Illinois just in time for Winter :( Ping has never seen snow except in pictures. She says it's SO beautiful. We'll see how she likes it ;D once she's in it :o
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 10:44:46 am »
Ping and James, I know the joy of receiving the "red books", Congratulations to the both of you, Keep us all posted of "the wedding dinner" , MinYing and John .

Thank you very much MinYing and John-I put up a new post called "Ping and alcohol don't mix" it was actually after the wedding dinner..... so I went out of order

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 10:48:13 am »

P.S. The rumor is, it's not the single's certificate that's slow in Guangzhou... but I am sure you and I will both be dealing with them on that other issue soon enough...

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd!! Right now I am dealing with the National Visa Center-made it through the USCIS and homeland security :D next the Consulate in Guangzhou should be contacting Ping-keeping my fingers crossed and crossing them for you. James

Offline Jan

• QQ 1507672319
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 09:29:44 pm »
Congratulations very much! Hehe I wish you a good continuation the following days! And ever after too!

Offline lfputman3

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 11:10:39 pm »

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd!! Right now I am dealing with the National Visa Center-made it through the USCIS and homeland security :D next the Consulate in Guangzhou should be contacting Ping-keeping my fingers crossed and crossing them for you. James

ok, mild confusion, when did you marry and when did you file the papers, b/c that does seem a little quick if you just got back?

1744748245@qq.com

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 11:20:36 pm »
Ok Llloyd sorry for the confusion -We married in April 11th and I filed in May 15th -I have been back for awhile -just been very busy getting everything ready for Ping's arrival.

Offline lfputman3

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 12:32:32 am »
didn't realize you posted that here also, for anyone curious, he PM'd me the answer, I responded, just kinda surprised me when he said it here in the thread.

Hope Ping is there soon James, I know we (Yuan and I) have a bit of a road ahead of us. In the meantime, her mama's happy, her daughter finally got a man....

Lloyd

1744748245@qq.com