Author Topic: Rules Of The Road In China?  (Read 3258 times)

Paul Todd

Rules Of The Road In China?
« on: May 30, 2009, 04:17:20 pm »
Rules Of The Road In China?????

Driving in China has to be seen to be believed. Cutting off other vehicles is common and there is not much courtesy on the roads. Drivers in China seem to be at ease with this and seem to expect it from others, most engage in this type of "aggressive" driving.

Chinese drivers tend to pay scant attention to green crosswalk signs. You should not presume you can cross the road just because you have a pedestrian crosswalk green light. Most drivers expect pedestrians to get out of their way, even when the pedestrians have the legal right-of-way. The safest way to cross a road is by pedestrian flyover (overhead) bridge, but if there are none around and you have to cross a road, you should wait until a group of other pedestrians are crossing the road and stay in the middle of the group and you will be "fairly" safe. You will not be safe at all if you merely rely on the legal right-of-way as indicated by the pedestrian crosswalk green light!

Horns are used extensively. Drivers honk their horns when entering an intersection to alert other drivers, especially if the intersection is not regulated. Running red lights is common too, and when a driver runs a red light he often blows his horn to warn other drivers that he is not stopping for the red light. Drivers all over China seem to be a bit "horn happy." It is said that only in China will a motorist wear out his horn before his brakes!  They commonly use their horns to try to get other vehicles to move out of their way. Even when the car or cars in front of them are blocked in and cannot move, the drivers still honk their horns excessively. Fortunately this does not seem to incite road rage in China.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do?  Well, don't get any fancy ideas that your traffic courtesy will catch on in China. You are not going the change the habits of a nation by trying to set a good example. In fact, you will cause more trouble and be more likely to get into an accident by trying to use American style traffic courtesy in China.

Here's a first hand example:-

"It took me a while to get used to the way things are over here. But now I am getting into the swing of things more and more. For example, traffic is chaotic but there IS some sort of order in the chaos.

Let me explain. At first I was riding my bicycle dangerously because I was being cautious and considerate of other bicycle riders, pedestrians, and motor vehicle traffic. But then I began to notice that when I rode using common road courtesy (not extremely aggressively as is the standard way here) that other people did not know how to react and in fact I was creating a dangerous condition by being polite and considerate because it caught others off-guard. Nobody would expect you to let the other guy go first. Nobody would expect you to give anybody a break of any kind. If anyone does drive or ride showing common courtesy to others, you will almost certainly cause an accident because nobody will be expecting it and their actions will anticipate you not showing any courtesy. For example, if you stop for a pedestrian in the crosswalk, you will be rear-ended because nobody would expect you to stop for a pedestrian. Pedestrians can jump out of the way when you honk your horn. It is far safer to ride and drive like everybody else"

The key points are worth reiteration:

Never show any consideration for any other person, whether on foot, bicycle, or motor vehicle. Never give the other guy a break. At any and every opportunity you should root your vehicle nose in and cut the others off and never feel even slightly bad about cutting anyone off, or causing them to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting you. Ride, walk, drive aggressively at all times. Everybody else reacts as if they know you will also drive, ride, or walk like the average person does in China. Any deviation from completely selfish driving, walking, or riding is likely to cause an accident because others will misinterpret your intent.

The only laws that are consistently adhered to on the roads in China are the immutable laws of physics. A vehicle moving at a uniform rate in a straight line will remain in that state until some force is applied. Newton's third law is the law that seems to rule the road in China. Newton's third law as applied to the rules of the road, means that the bigger and heavier vehicle has the right-of-way. If you are on foot and someone on a bicycle is headed straight at you, the combination of the bicycle and rider's weight plus the vehicle's speed = you had better jump out of the way. Conversely if you are riding a bicycle and you think you have the right-of-way because you have a green traffic signal, but a faster and heavier vehicle challenges your right-of-way, then you should yield.

You should not think you will hit the lawsuit lotto jackpot in China if you are hit by a vehicle. If you are very lucky, your medical bills may be paid by the person who is found to be at fault, but do not expect any monetary award above the actual medical bills and/or repair bills. If you are seriously injured you may be awarded $50 or so in damages, depending on actual amount of the ambulance and hospital bills. There is no such thing as compensation for pain and suffering.

There have been some recent policy changes and incentives to motivate more people to use the public transportation system, but these actions have not remedied the traffic jams.

Back to are example:-

Now that I have started riding my bicycle Chinese style, I get places much quicker and it is far safer too. I think the fastest and smoothest way to get around is by electric powered bicycle. Almost every road in and around Beijing, where I live, has bike paths (bicycle lanes).

Legal Rules of the Road for riding bicycles in China

1. Pedestrians have the right-of-way over all vehicular traffic when the pedestrians are in a designated pedestrian pathway or within a crosswalk with the green light to cross the road. Most roads have sidewalks on both sides that are off-limits to bicycles and are for the exclusive use of pedestrians.

2. Bicycle lanes are clearly marked and well defined. Only pedal powered and electric bicycles are permitted in the bike lanes. Mopeds and all other vehicles with internal combustion engines are not permitted on bike paths.

3. Cars may cross the bike paths when exiting or entering the roadway, but are forbidden to travel in the bike lanes.

4. Motorcycles may use to the same roadways as cars and other motor vehicles. Motorcycles are forbidden from using the bicycle lanes.

Reality of the Road in China,

1. Pedestrians have plenty of room to walk on the sidewalks but many seem to prefer to walk on the bike paths, and often two or three abreast which usually impedes bicycle traffic. About 20% of the people seem to be walking on the bike paths while about 80% seem to obey the law. The 20% who do walk on the bike paths manage to slow down bicycle traffic considerably.

2. When there is a traffic jam, which is pretty much 24-7, occasionally some bold automobile drivers run on the bike paths for long distances. Police often will stop cars and ticket the driver if they see this transgression. It is a different story with motorcycles and motor scooters. All motorized vehicles with the exception of clearly marked vehicles for the disabled, are prohibited from running in the bicycle lanes. But more often than not motorcyclists and scooter riders will run on the highway when traffic is faster there, but frequently jump over to the bike paths when traffic on the highway is slower than the traffic on the bike path. Motorcycle riders also seem to run most traffic lights with impunity.

These motorized vehicle riders throw their heads back and act like they are king of the road on the bike paths. They continuously honk their horns and act like they own the bike paths. Their attitudes seem to be: "How dare you mere bicycles get in my way! I am a rich man who can afford a motorcycle and you poor peasants on cheap little bicycles are in my way! You had better scatter like chickens when the king of the road comes barreling down this motorcycle lane." Police rarely enforce the laws prohibiting motorcycles and motor scooters from using the bike lanes.

Bicycle lanes are almost always one-way. If bicyclists want to go in the opposite direction, they should cross the street and get on the bike path going in the direction desired. In practice most people do go the right way on one way bike paths. However, about 1% of all cyclists ride against the flow of traffic, going in the opposite direction from the other 99%. There are so many bicycles in China that the 1% or so of riders who ride the wrong way on one-way bike paths equals a lot of bicycles. The bottom line is that you are unlikely to make it even one city block without meeting a cyclist who is going in the wrong direction.

My first bicycle in China had a high-tech lightweight aluminum alloy frame, with an intelligent assist electric motor, and a six speed transmission, disc brakes, and a lightweight lithium battery. It was the best and lightest state-of-the-art electric bicycle available in Beijing at that time. After two collisions with other cyclists who were going in the wrong direction on one-way bike paths, I traded my fancy bicycle in for a different kind of bicycle. I traded for size and power. I got the electric bicycle that was the biggest, strongest, heaviest, and had the most powerful motor. My new bicycle is built like an M1A1 Abrams battle tank. Now I just blast my horn and gun it when I see someone going in the wrong direction and headed straight for me. They will get out of the way!!!

Arnold

RE: Rules Of The Road In China?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 04:31:05 pm »
Alright Paul , between my experience on the Autobahn and the driving in New York and Los Angeles , I think there should be NO problem for me . I have seen it all on my three Trips and ready for the driving test . I have studied these rules already ( the ones on paper ) on the road .. there are no rules .

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 04:44:27 pm »
Rules of walking in China, follow your girl around.  Figure it out, go out on your own listen for horns and don't die.  hahaha ^_^  To MUCH FUN I love China.
Can't fix stupid.

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:28:06 pm »
Just think of it as one big game of chicken. Both trips I thought they were crazy, but I hardly saw an accident.
On my way back the last trip I sat next to Expat.  He was telling me that in Hong Kong any accident between a pedestrian and car is automatically the cars fault.  If they see you are an American they try to get in front of you. Because they will get a good size judgment. Anyway that is what he said.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Arnold

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 01:02:47 am »
As I grew up in Germany , I learned something , that People ( especially here in the States ) still don't know , is that a CAR is bigger than a Person . So I do look BOTH way's ... even if it's green to walk . I'm not stupid , like some people even with kids on their hand , to just walk across a Road without looking left or right , because of this believe ... hit me , it's your fault and I will get Money , yeah !!
That is a reason I like the law's in China , the pedestrian is the one to LOOK OUT not the other way around . But then , I think that keep's the Lawyer's busy , yeah !!

Offline China Shark

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 01:23:14 am »
The only rules are there are that there are no rules. Yes, it is one big game of psychotic chicken. It is so funny discussing this bad behavior with Chinese because they just reply back that is just the way it is. I'm a pretty courageous driver yet would never attempt driving here. Not worried about myself, it is all the other fools I'm worrying about hitting me. But the one thing I must agree with Paul is that the Chinese are so insinct with one another that they always manage to avoid collisions just at the last minute. If I drove for 10 minutes here I'de be behind bars for throttling the first fool for running into me. But growing up in a tough city I've learned how to jump out of the way of reckless drivers at a young age.
China Shark Mike
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Offline Agarn

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 02:57:25 am »
Well written Paul

motor bikes often ride on the foot paths and the riders are genuinly confused if you dont move out of their way.

many of you have seen the driving in chinese cities, think about it on compacted snow and ice without snow chains, you have to see it to believe it, damm impressive

Offline Peter

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 07:41:47 am »
When I was in Changsha we took a Cab wherever we went.. To my surprise I didn't see any Cab with scratch marks...
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Agarn

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 02:21:05 am »
Chinese  taxi drivers are part bat, never hit anything!

Paul Todd

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 06:01:04 pm »
Hot chilli peppers keep death off Chinese roads,

Chinese police have come up with a novel idea to keep drivers awake on the deadliest roads in the world – supply them with free chilli peppers to prevent them falling asleep at the wheel.

In the southwestern Chongqing region, home to one of the most spicy diets in the world, police have begun serving drivers dried chilli peppers at highway service stations because they are worried that driving in the Spring will mean drivers are even more sleepy than usual.:huh:

Drivers have already stopped and helped themselves to 1.5kg (3lb) of featherlight dried peppers since the service began nine days ago, local newspapers reported. “It’s an unbelievable quantity,” a police officer said.:s

And that assessment comes in the Sichuan provincial region of China where the chilli pepper is effectively a compulsory ingredient of any dish that wants to be regarded as a serious contender for a place in the demanding hierarchy of Chinese cuisine.

Most of the drivers passing through this area are from Sichuan, Yunnan and Hunan provinces where chilli peppers have come to be regarded as a prerequisite for any dish. Drivers just dig their hand into a bag of dried chilli peppers available at the side of the road and munch down on the ultra-spicy deep red peppers. Driver Chen Jun said: “It’s really good to have some hot peppers when you are tired from driving. They make you alert.”

That vote of confidence should encourage the police, who face a crisis trying to curb the death toll on the most dangerous roads in the world. China reported 5.1 road accident deaths for every 10,000 motor vehicles in 2007, the highest in the world. The world average was two deaths per 10,000 vehicles.

The lion’s share of the fatalities are pedestrians, followed by bicyclist and motorcyclists. Mortality rates for men are estimated to be more than twice as high for men as for women.

Road deaths have almost doubled as car ownership in the world’s most populous nation has rocketed from 1985 to 2005. The death rate increased by 95 per cent and one reported that the fatality rate would only rise as increasingly affluent Chinese indulged their craving for a car.

Official statistics show tha China has 3 per cent of the world’s cars while accounting for 16 per cent of all traffic deaths each year.

This would so not work for me!  Jezzz one bite of these dried chilli's and my eyes would water so much I couldn't see where I was going. After a bag full, the next toilet stop would make it a bit tough to sit down let alone drive! So maybe it would work, but only by reducing the amount of lowai's on the road!

Offline Peter

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 02:26:09 am »
Take a look at my photo from Changsha.. It is from a Sunday evening...

Peter
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Agarn

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 04:17:15 am »
[attachment=186]   chinese driving soup

Paul Todd

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 07:51:03 am »
Fantastic picture Peter, and that was Sunday evening!!!!!

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 11:01:58 am »
My take on traffic in China since I'm here ^_^

Its not that terrible, completly un-nerving at first, but it works, throw right of way out the window, most obey all street signs, and signals within larger cities.  The things we have to protect us from ourselves in the states, they do in on a different level, their driving seems a bit neurotic but it is a well honed type of driving, extremely defensive driving in an offensive way. ^_^  When in Rome.  They pay a great deal of attention unlike most jerks in LA, NYC & Chicago with the attention span of a fruit fly could never accomplish.
Can't fix stupid.