Author Topic: Fast trip to Beijing  (Read 5505 times)

Offline zook144

Fast trip to Beijing
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:42:40 pm »
Will be heading to Beijing this Thursday, November 10. Fast trip for a weekend stay. We are now waiting on Lili's interview date. Have made it through all the steps that lead to this. I wanted to visit her 1 more time before her interview.  Hope it will give her a better chance for fiancee visa. There was no way, I was going to be able to get there for the actual interview, so I guess this is the next best thing.  Hope it helps anyway. Interview should be before Dec. 16. that is expiration date on the 129 petition they sent me.   So, I say  "Should be, by Dec 16."
Just thought I'd give you an update.
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline kenny

Re: Fast trip to Beijing
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:22:42 pm »
Have a great trip Don

I would like to visit Beijing someday myself

Hope all goes well with the interview in Dec.

Offline shaun

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:30:29 pm »
Yes Don.  Have a good trip and I hope all goes well for you and your wife.

Arnold

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:45:16 pm »
Man .. a Weekend Trip to China ? Now don't tell me it's with your Private Jet ?  :o

I can see this being of help for the Interview , short or long .. it shows you are serious about your Lady . The only other Member that went for only a couple of days was Sly ( because Liyan was sick ) . That must of help Him some , but then again this was for Europe ( France ) not the US/Canada .

Have a good Trip - good Time - make the most out of it .. which I'm sure you will .

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 03:43:02 am »
Have a fantastic time!  I guess this is what is called the whirlwind trip.  Keep us posted on everything!

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:50:30 pm »
Good for you Don, I hope all goes well in the interview, John.

Offline zook144

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:50:38 pm »
Thanks Everyone.
Yes, a whirlwind trip. Obama is lending me Air Force  2, so should be a smooth trip. I tried for Air Force 1, but he thought that was asking a bit too much. I leave tomorrow (Thursday) evening.  Leaving here at 5:19pm, go to Detroit, then a straight shot to Beijing. Flying Delta. I like Delta for in country travel, but not overly crazy about their International flights. But frankly, it was the cheapest I could find. I did upgrade to Economy Plus after talking to one of their reps on the phone. Supposed to be more leg room, seats recline more, and free drinks. Thats what they tell me anyway. We'll see. I'll let you know how the trip goes. But it will have to be after I return. I have decided to travel very light and not even take a computer on this trip. Lili, of course, is all excited. Believe it or not, she has never been to Beijing. So she wants to see a few of the sights. Won't have time for too much sight seeing.  You can only crame so much in 2 days! Her son is also in Beijing going to college. Don't know how much time he will be with us, but he speaks fairly good english, so that will help. Lili's english has improved a great deal, but I better take my besta translator along, just in case. Which reminds me...."Where the heck is that thing?" Guess I should dig out the suitcase and throw a few things in it. I have a bad habit of waiting until the last minute to pack. Wait a minute....there's a Country Music Awards show on in a few minutes!  Maybe I'll watch that first.

Offline Jim

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 08:52:39 pm »
I guess you must have your reasons but why in the world would you fly half way around the world for only 2 days?  I lived in Beijing for a little while a couple of years ago.  Go to Tiannemon square and the Great Wall if you do nothing else.  I loved the Peking Duck. However there are only a couple of places that serve it well.  One is near the Square. on the east side straight down the main st from the square on the left hand side about 4 blocks. cant remember the name but ask anyone there and they can tell you. They even give you a certificate showing the duck was raised in their farm. Not overly expensive either.

Its a nice friendly town. Taxis are cheap, buses and trains even cheaper. Have fun.

Offline zook144

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 08:53:30 pm »
Well, thought I would report that I successfully made it to Beijing and back. Sorry, nothing overly exciting to report. Of course, it was great to spend a couple days with Lili. But it was kind of an I was there, then I wasn't, kind of deal. Unlike most everyone here, it seems, I am not overly fond of Chinese food. At least not in China. When you are used to eggs, gravy, and biscuits and bacon for breakfast, breakfast in China leaves a lot to be desired. I know, I know....this is only my opinion, so don't beat my brains out over this. I did find something I really liked in a small restaurant near our hotel. But I have no idea what it was.
I left Beijing early Monday morning, arrived home in Virginia about 12:30pm on Monday, and was talking with Lili Monday night on QQ.  Amazing!
The big news is, that a couple days after I arrived home, Lili got her P4 documents and has her interview scheduled for December 1. So, hopefully, this will go well. She is very nervous of course. But we have gone over everything I can think of they may ask her. I know visa questions are posted all over this forum, but if anyone's  wife or fiancee has had any unusual questions or any "I never thought of that" type questions, please let me know. Especially if going for a U.S. Visa.
Will let you know how the interview goes.
Don 

Arnold

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 10:10:00 pm »
Ohhh Maaaan !!! How can you NOT like Chinese Breakfast , it's the Be..     Ooops .. you said NOT to ! Sorry Don .

I wish you and Lili of course the best next week , may it be easier than what was prepared for ! Good Luck .

Well , before I forget .. Qing did get asked an very unusual Question while I was there with Her . He ask ;
" Why would you want to go with THIS guy " ?

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 10:50:43 pm »
Seriously Arnold?  And you didn't reach across the counter and correct the angle of his nose?

;D ;D ;D  darn .. and here I just Hit his EYE !  :o                      NOT
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:03:32 pm by Arnold »
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline maxx

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 10:51:03 pm »
Don best of luck to you and Lili. I can't think of any questions out of the ordinary.Just make sure Lili has copies of everything that you submitted for evidence.Tell Lili to try not to be nervous.And don't let the person doing the interview scare her.

Don did you hire a lawyer?

Offline zook144

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 07:30:06 pm »
Maxx, yes we hired a lawyer. I went with a Chinese lawyer because I figured he could communicate with Lili better. And he is the same one Kenny used and I talked with a guy in Canada that used him also. He did a good job for them, so I thought that was best. I have had a couple issues with him, but he seems to be guiding Lili through this, so that is what is important.  I just talked with Lili this evening and she has found another lady that has the same interview date as she has. So I think that is good. They are staying at the same hotel in Guangzhou and will go to the consulate together. This other lady is only 22 and her fiancee is also from the U.S.  The way I understand it, he has only been there to see her 1 time. So not sure how that will go. I am glad she has someone to go with. I wasn't too nervous about it, but as time grows near, I am getting more antsy. Lili, of course is very nervous also.
Thanks for all the good wishes.
don 

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 11:43:49 pm »
Best of luck Don, we are all rooting for you.  It's been a long road for you.

Offline maxx

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 12:05:10 am »
Don I'm glad to hear that you hired a lawyer.If this guy gets Lili her visa.We will post his contact info.We have had a couple of members who went the Chinese lawyer route.And it didn't turn out to good for them.so if we can find a good Chinese immigration attorney.That will be a good thing.Keep us updated with whats going on.Best of luck

Maxx.