Author Topic: Here I go again  (Read 15251 times)

Offline Scottish_Robbie

Re: Here I go again
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 06:37:47 pm »
Ditto what shaun said ;D
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 07:30:08 pm »
Good luck Peter.  Have a great trip.  I'm eager to read all about it.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 07:42:36 pm »
Good luck Peter. How long are you in Guangzhou?  oops. your probably on the plane on your way here.  Anyway if your not just making a connection send me a message and I will take you to dinner.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 12:59:36 am »
have a safe trip peter and enjoy , the Ice Carvings should all still be there , regards Sujuan and Robert . Oh and by the way Sujuan and her daughter Sunyao have jumped up to Townswille and Magnetic Island for a few days , I told them it was warmer and drier in Melbourne ha ha .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 06:07:22 am »
have a good trip mate, atleast you will not need any ice for the beers from the sounds of it........ ::)
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Arnold

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 03:23:44 pm »
ditto.. what "Robbie" said !

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 01:31:30 am »
Have a good safe trip Peter, I hope you find what you are looking for, Dont forget an update and some pics, MinYing and John .

Offline Peter Arnold

• Milestogo
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 03:48:16 am »
   Okay guys, here is the update from the icebox that is Harbin.
    Thanks for the well wishes everybody. It is nice to be able to write something and not have to treanslate it, never knowing if the real meaning is conveyed.
    This is an abbreviated version because I pressed the wrong button on a Chinese message while I was trying to download photos, and lost my letter. That really s#$@s me. Oh well, here I go again
    I was lucky to hook up with a young Chinese woman from Brisbane, who also had to catch the bus to the hotel That CSAir organised for us. I would have been lost without her. It looked like they were only half organised to get us to the hotel, but it all worked out. I spent the night sharing with a guy heading back to South Korea. He had two daughters in Australia.
    When I got off the plane in Harbin, I only had a T shirt and jumper on. It was like steppinyg into an icebox. We had to wait in a bus on the tarmac for everyone to disembark. I had a very good flight over on premium economy, with hardly any passengers around me.
     I was very glad to be re-united with my luggage. I am paranoid about my luggage not making the connecting flight. So I changed into my warm clothes and tried to set my eyes upon the woman I had met on QQ. Ofcourse she was there with a beaming smile, and dressed very smartly. She is a short little thing, which makes me feel good about my stature. I always have to look up at all of my friends, and of course my sons.
    Candy had enlisted her nephew to be our chauffer. We then headed off for lunch, which was ofcourse more food than we could eat. This is a re-occuring theme in China. We had to get doggy bags to take left-overs in.
    As we drove to lunch, I had the thought that if we did hook up, my life would never be the same. Candy said she was happy to see me, but I tlod here it was more like excitement. She can behave like a school girl, which can be a good thing and a bad thing as I felt a bit overwhelmed by her exuberance.
    I have been to many family dinners so they can check me out. I am well liked and they want us to be happy and for Candy to find a ccompanion.
   On one occassion, a friend of the family made a visit to meet an English speaking person. He had heard I was there, and wanted to practice his skills and meet me. It was very good to be able to express myself in my native English. He was a lovely 18 y.o guy who is studying Economics at University in harbin. We talked for4 some time about world politics and the financial system and other things we were both passionate about. It makes so much difference to be understood and engage in conversation.  There were many relatives and friends there that night. More than ten I think. I think I have met all of the family now.
    Today we went for a wonderful lunch where the food is barbequed in the middle of the table. It was candys' oldest sister and husband and two children. They are very refined and pleasant people.
    I have drunk my fair share of Harbin beer and their version of Mou Tai.
    I have been here 12 days so far, and we have covered a lot of ground. I still feel we have some issues to work through, but things are going well, and I really want our relationship to work. Candy is no wallflower and can be quite a handful sometimes. Like someone else said, it is a big step to go from living on your own, to be with someone 24/7. But that is the deal, and i am rolling with it, as is Candy. Her son is still at home, so I haven't had her all to myself. He is a good kid, just a little unmotivated. He only works a few days a week.
    We are off to Tianjin this evening by train for 3 nights. This will be a good time to see if we are compatible enough to do the distance. 
    I will finish up, and try again to attach some photos. She is only short, but she packs a punch. BTW, I am the one with the big bizi ( bee dzer)
I have tried to send photos, but it is just too frustrating from this end. Damn these Chinese Computers. I will send some when I get home.

It is never too late to be what you might have been

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 05:27:12 am »
Good to hear that you made it ok to China, Good update, where are the photos ????. Have a ball my friend, I hope it all works out well for you both, Maybe this is the needle in the haystack you have been looking for ?. All the best, John.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 07:51:11 am »
Great update.  It was a good read.  I hope your communication between the two of you gets better...it can be a difficult problem to overcome.  Looking forward to pictures.

Offline daghoi

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 10:21:14 am »

Looking forward to the pictures, have a nice stay and good luck.

Arnold

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 01:35:07 pm »
Love the update Peter. The Photo problem I think is not the PC, your Camera might be Frozen solid?  :)
Have a great time in Tianjin!

Offline shaun

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »
Good read but I'll let all the others say it.   (What I meant to say was that the others have already said it.)

Have a great time.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:30:54 pm by shaun »

Offline Peter Arnold

• Milestogo
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 06:16:42 am »
Okay, here is another update.
    We spent 12 hours on the train to Tianjin. There was some confusion about where our beds were, but candy managed to get some beds in the carriage that the railway workers use. We thought we had the carriage to ourselves, but it slowly filled up as the night went on. The trip was fine. Tianjin was still surprisingly cold when we arrived at 7 am the next morning.
     I thought I would be smart and book and pay for a room in the Ibis Hotel. But we ended up at an Ibis hotel closer to the train station. So after much frustration to ensure that I was not paying twice, we secured a room at this Ibis hotel. A manager who could speak English mysteriously appeared at the last minute to explain that, yes, my booking had been cancelled and my Visa card would not be debited. It is easy to feel pretty helpless in China  when no one can explain what is really transpiring.
    They let us in the room before twelve, which was really good of them. The room was bigger than I am used to in most Ibis hotels. That aftyernoon we went to a famous restaurant called Goubuli Baozi, where trhey serve individual steamed buns. Well, the food was very good, but the bill was hefty. We paid  360 yuan ( AU$60 ) for the two of us. We also had a honey and lemon drink which was very nice, as well as a Chicken and walnut soy dish which we could have done without.
    Anyway, we had a nice day of window shopping and strolling.
    The next day we did an organised on Tianjin. We went to a ceramic pottery museum, where a Chinese national has decorated the whole Italian style building with expensive China vases. He also has a collection of antique furniture inside. We also went to the home of the last  Emporer who took refuge in Tianjin. The place has been completely restored. It was a bitterly cold day outside. We had to endure time waiting on a dock for a cruise. Ther best part of the tour was the massive Ferris wheel. It felt so much safer than the one I endangered my life on in Shenyang.
    The next day I decided we should plan our own tour, so I got on the internet and looked for tourist sites in Tianjin. I would recommend this idea, and give organised tours the flick. It is cheaper and you are not forced through the shops to buy stuff you don't want. I told Candy that we would be herded through places we did not want to go.
    So the next day we went to some huge markets, and also some genuine Chinese craft markets. We also visited a Buddhist Temple. We had a great day, and Candy had her arms loaded up with some bargains. I had a nice time buying some things for her home. We were pleased with ourselves that we had organised our own tour, and had fun doing some retail therapy.
    I had reached a crises point with Candys' behaviour during our first day in Tianjin. I told her I could not tolerate her immature behaviour, and her vanity. Maybe I was stressed, but I had to confront these issues with her. I felt that, because of her flippant attitude, she prevented us from being close and intimate.  I also felt that she can be inconsiderate and insensitive. It has been difficult for her to acknowledge that her attitude is inconsiderate.
    Anyway, I told her that I did not want to be with her if she could not see how her attitude affected me. It felt like a turning point for me. As much as I liked her and wanted to be with her, I was willing to walk away from the relationship.
    I have really wrestled with accepting some of her behaviour. I think she was always the joker in the family, and a bit of a demon. Sometimes she does not know when to stop. But I have tried to point out her behaviour as it has come up. So it has not all been smooth sailing.
   With all that said, we connect well and have an understanding of each other. Some days can be wonderful and fulfilling. Other times I feel that she lacks awareness.
    Now, you may be thinking that we were a bit wobbly together, but I have let things percolate and looked at things from a bigger perspective.
    On the way back in the train, both of us were in the top bunks exchanging things on the translator. She was learning some English, and I was at the point of committing myself to this woman. I punched in the words, 'Will you marry me', two times on the translator, before I finally handed it to her. She responded in the affirmative. I was monitoring my heart rate, and everything seemed normal. So I asked her if she would like to see her engagement ring.
To be continued
It is never too late to be what you might have been

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 11:46:40 am »
wow weee!
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE