Author Topic: Just checking it out guys. Do I understand the visa thing correctly?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline 2hip

• Red Wabbit
Guys,  will be going to Beijing around Feb 20th.  I will apply for a L (tourist) visa.  I will ask for the visa that allows two entries.  I think I understand that I can not apply for the F (business) visa.  Since I will be visiting her probably 4 times or so over the next year while we go through the courtship, engagment, and K-1 process..is there no other way but to apply for multiple entry visas that only allow 2 visits each?

So, as far as i am able to ascertain after reading Chinese embassy web sites I can not apply for anything other than the L visa with no more than 2 entries over a specified time period.  This sucks!!!

I also perused the forums topic on visas for 20 minutes and it seems to match up well with what i understand.
If there are any further ideas please share.

Second topic>  She said that i can just apply for the tourist visa and it will be easier than getting a letter of invitation.  None of the trips should last more than 2 weeks maximum.  Am I creating any problems for myself with such short stays and using the tourist visa?

Third topic..soliciting advice as to where to stay in Beijing that is nice hotel, reasonable cost, and not to swank...but respectable.  How much cash should I bring with me?  Is it hard to convert dollars to Yuan?

Respectfully, alex

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
Re: Just checking it out guys. Do I understand the visa thing correctly?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:31:10 am »
For your first visit to China is is usual for the Chinese Embassy to issue a single entry "L" visa for a 30 day stay. Sometimes they will issue an "L" visa covering 2 trips.

On the second visit, provided you have been a good boy  ;D ;D  they will issue you with a 1 year, multiple entry "L" visa....which should just about see you through to the end game of bringing your Wife/Fiance home.

Having said that, it is also true that nothing about "L" visas sems to be set in concrete...the Embassies seem to just about what suits them !!! (welcome to China where rigid rules are always flexible ) ;D

Cant help with accomodation suggestions for Beijing, but I can tell you it is possible, but cumbersome (long queues and long paperwork) to change dollars to RMB in a Bank. There are always "Private" money changers hanging around the Banks who will give you a better rate with no paperwork. But it is easier and more convenient to take a cashcard and draw money out from an Auto teller as you need it. Usually you can get 2000 RMB each day..which is heaps !!!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:21:39 am »
If you bring cash then you have tp make sure that every note is in perfect condition.  No tears or writing on them just absolutely perfect. They will inspect each one thoroughly and call for second opinions.  The banks are dreadfully slow whatever your business.

As David said use a debit card on the atms. Bank of China is best, English on machines and I always take out 2500 with no problem.  Just make sure you have enough rmb to cover your first day or so.

Your lady can advise you on hotels. Bejing is a huge city and book youself and you could be many miles away from where she wants you to be.

Work in China is not like the West.  Getting days off is difficult to say the least. Many have to work a 6 and 1/2 day week! There are many waiting to take over their jobs if they don't follow the bosses wishes.  When they do a job, not matter what, they do it well.  No messing about even by the youngest.

Many forged notes about so be careful of money changers, especially in Beijing.

Stick to the L visa 2 entries. I am now on my 7th having collected by new 12 month one today from the PSB.  The L visa valid for six months is easier to get but if I remember  correctly you can get to stay up to 90 days at a time before having to leave the country. But you can come back next day and stay till end of visa.

Yes just checked mine and on my first one I got 90 days just before that time ended I went to macau overnight and came back next morning ready for the rest of the 6 months.

Willy
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:51:53 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 05:39:51 am »
Hi Alex, I always book my hotels on a website (chinahotels.org) never had a problem with them, Quick response and a printed out receipt booking with the address in English and also Chinese "for the taxi driver" , As for changing  money, I always change around $500 before I leave home and the hotel you stay in usually changes foreign currency with a better exchange rate than home, As for them inspecting them for writing and tears, I have never noticed them looking too closely at mine, They seem to lok more at their own money closely , As Willie said, There is a lot of forged note's here ,  As for the visa, Every country may have different requirements, What David said about the Australian visa was spot on, I'm on my third one now, Multiple entry for twelve months, John. 

Offline 2hip

• Red Wabbit
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:16:27 am »
Thanks guys