Author Topic: Translator vs Google apps  (Read 3221 times)

Offline 2hip

• Red Wabbit
Translator vs Google apps
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:31:16 pm »
Okay, I leave Monday.  down to the last nerve wracking week.  Bought the Besta CD 737P and it will arrive Thursday.  Expensive little sucker at 350 dollars.  I called Besta USA and they told me it does not do voice translation...only written.

So, was it Vince G that was talking about an android application that the lady can just speak into the phone and it will give you simple translation?  I think it would be fantastic to have such an application.  Anyone can pitch in with info would be much appreciated. 

How do you get mail or phone to a member?

Vince G

Re: Translator vs Google apps
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:28:44 pm »
It's Google Translate App. It has Text to speech, a dictionary, suggest (it will give suggestions on words), Conversation mode and Handwriting. Also SMS Translation.

I know the typing in words and what that does (same as web page) the talking into the phone translation I only tired a few words (it worked fine). The other day I went to use it with others around talking and heard a laugh and typed out LOL?

I will have a translator (mort likely Besta) also. The phone will be used for quick fix (not understanding on the spot).

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 09:54:38 pm »
It works for you OK Vince but does it work in action in China?

I still swear by the Besta - a couple of words and they can read the result in Chinese characters and if they cannot read then you can play them it back in sound and they hear what you say.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Vince G

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:24:17 pm »
As long as the phone works the app should. As I said I'll have a Besta also and other backups like my computer.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:24:46 pm »
Cheap, easy to use, accurate translations! I bought a BBK back in 2008 and still use it on occasions.  :)
http://www.bbkusa.com/

Vince G

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:25:25 pm »
Mmmm that sure is allot less expensive then the besta?

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:35:42 am »
my wife has Google translate on her i phone4 and it works well, I do not use mine when China as the roaming costs for the internet are ridiculous, $1000 aud for ten days :-\, always make sure you turn off any extra accessories on your phone when you go to China, Do not even be tempted to turn them on for a minute, The costs still tally until you are in home waters, John .

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »
I have the AM101 model, the newer model has many improvements over the one I have. The price I paid in 2008 was around $129 dollars so the price is still reasonable. My wife has a high dollar Besta, but prefers to use mine when she needs one! ;D

Vince G

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 11:23:45 pm »
Only thing I have to study on it is the difference between the two models. It looks like they both translate english to chinese and vise versa but one says for learning english, the other learning chinese?

Or maybe just wait and buy her one for herself? and I'll have my own too.

Offline Jan

• QQ 1507672319
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 06:14:21 pm »
On my first visit to China I used my android phone. And had this application called "Hanping Chinese Pro" dictionary in it. It translates english-chinese-english, but usually one word at a time if you write in English. If she writes Chinese there, it will translate everything. But it can take a while of thinking about what is she actually meaning... Because the words have many meanings.

Also if she speaks basic/little English, she can speak as much as she knows, then look up the last word/words from this dictionary. And there, you have a full sentence.

Often even 1 word was enough to understand smd explain complex things.

I broke my previous android phone. And I did not even have to hesitate a second about what kind of new phone I would get. I knew instantly that it has to be android. To get this one application. The rest is just extra and "nice to have". But because of this application hehe. I will not change my android phone to another brand.

We could talk about many things in Finnish already, but her vocabulary was not too big. So whenever there was a word that we did not understand one way or the another. I would write her the word to this dictionary and it would give her the Chinese character for that word. And then she would learn the word in Finnish and English, but she forgot the English words in a matter of minutes. But she always wrote the Finnish word down so she could recite it, restudy and eventually learn/remember it.

Some days, we would spend hours just sitting in a tea house, KFC or whatever place that had air conditioning in it (it was summer and 30+ celcius) and go through of many words and she would study, write down all by using this application... Now we are at a point, where I can explain most of the things about everyday life and even more complex things to her by using her vocabulary.
Which has lead us to speaking "our own language" mostly grammar wise really bad Finnish, some English and some Chinese hehe... But I understand her and she understands me which is good for us.