Author Topic: Learning English  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Clayton

Learning English
« on: February 18, 2012, 08:57:36 pm »
When my wife gets here she will have several ways of learning English,obviously I will teach her a fare bit and i intend to take her to Adelaide once a week for proper English classes.
I was wondering if anyone here knows of a web site or better yet a Utube site where she can go to and learn from scratch.
I have found lots of sites that teach better English but can't find one that starts from the word go,  any suggestions?

Cheers
Leeroy
This is the way to go

Offline maxx

Re: Learning English
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:54:56 pm »
Leeroy the best tool is children's cartoons.Young Einsteins,Handy Manny.Dora the explorer.Cartoons helped my wife learn more English.Then she taught 2 of her friends.To speak English.Using cartoons as a learning tool.Cartoons are geared for kids.So they use small words.If they still have sesame street in Aussie land.You mite start your wife there.they teach speech along with syntax.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:37:50 pm »
along with syntax.
Syntax Maxx! I always thought that was what the hookers paid to the IRS.
Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:57:50 am »
Clayton, part of your wife's 309 visa will let her learn english in an accredited school (avitas I think) for 500 hours for free.  check the email that the embassy will send when the visa is approved.  how to do it is in there.  Xia was going (has stopped now until the baby is born) and they will test her first to put her into the appropriate level class.  beginer intermediate advanced etc.  she will also get a couple of completion certificates from the company.

if you need any further info just ask me or dave as his missus is doing it now too.  might as well use the free service.  all they require is her passport with the visa in it when enrolling.

cheers mate
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Clayton

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:11:26 am »
Yeh, thanks Jason, I am aware of the government  program but that would be in Adelaide and we live two hours away, unless we can get something going at our local school.
What I was hoping for was a web site where she could get some extra learning in her spare time, anyway it was just a thought, I want to give Yan the best chance  as she has to learn at least the basic English before she even considers applying for work.
The cartoon thing sounds good too, I might pick out some old favorites haha

Cheers
Leeroy
This is the way to go

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:43:56 am »
No Willy, thats what you pay your exwife if you get caught!
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 07:36:46 am »
No Willy, thats what you pay your exwife if you get caught!

Ok I am safe then. I have never had a wife before and now am too old or too worn out to go chasing others. 8)

Mind you I could always call in my stunt double for the action bits!

'RROBBBIIEEE your wanted on the set.'

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline maxx

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:56:38 am »
No Willy what the hooker's pay is called sin tax.What I posted is the right word spelled wrong.Syntax is a explosive.What I meant to say is that the cartoons will teach Leroy's wife.How to say the words right.

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:04:49 am »
YESSUM MASSA WILLIAM ISA COMING..... you know you not need shout at me massa William since ole Robbie got im hearing aids fitted in....lol ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:44:02 pm by Scottish_Robbie »
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Vince G

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 11:46:09 am »
I'm interested in actually hearing "YESSUM MASTA WILLIAM ISA COMING" with a Scottish accent?   :o   ;D

Offline shaun

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 01:19:58 pm »
 :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 05:34:41 pm »
Leeroy

It's unfortunate that you cant take advantage of the Gov't language learning program, Ming is in her 4 th week and loving it. Not only does she get free tuition in English but she gets to be amongst a whole classroom full of new migrants from just about every Country you could think off !!!

She has made friends with  women from Brazil, China, Ethiopia and I can only imagine what their communication sounds like !!!...but it is all good experience and at the end of the course (500 hours) she gets Certificate 4 in written and spoken English which is essential if one day she wants to enter the work-force. Already I can see the imporovement in her Syntax (not Semtex Maxx  ;D ;D) and Grammar, plus she is growing in confidence as she learns more and more about how and when to use her English skills.

However, if you cant go down that track, I can recommend a software program which teaches English from scratch, it is called "Tell me More" by Aurolog...(www.aurolog.com)...it is well worth a look and we have used it a lot.

Cheers...David

Arnold

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 07:14:39 pm »
Leeroy
 ..... but she gets to be amongst a whole classroom full of new migrants from just about every Country you could think off !!!

For Qing that's too bad, she only has "Latin" Folks in her Classes and they are too Brown for her likking. Guess, no need for me to be jealous in that part of the Neighborhood. ;D ;D ;D

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 09:43:18 pm »
Well Robbie I am pleased to see you on a thread about learning English.  You have a way to go man.

Maxx your right about the cartoons. Cartoons on Chinese TV are also a good way to learn that language.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 12:55:25 am »
Just try to avoid Family Guy or American Dad. 
...as irresistible as chocolate