Author Topic: Questions about US immigration for my Chinese wife & son  (Read 6452 times)

Offline kevster4355

Questions about US immigration for my Chinese wife & son
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:51:11 am »
Hello all,

I married a Chinese woman this January in Shenyang. Now, the process of getting her here, to the USA. I thought I understood the process, but my head is spinning. Can anyone direct me to a thread that outlines the process? I am having difficulty finding them amongst all the info buried here.

In particular, I am confused if I need a separate I-130 and fee for my wife's 16 year old son. We are using the services of a Chinese national to prepare her forms (thanks John), but I would appreciate any info from you that are experienced, from the husband's point of view.

Thanks much,
Kevin

Offline maxx

Re: Questions about US immigration for my Chinese wife & son
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:45:30 pm »
Kevin we haven't forgoten you.I was waiting for are immigration expert to answear your question.He can give you a better answear then I can.If you look under the heading immigration to the united states.There is some links there that should answear any and all of your questions.

I don't think it is a good idea to use.A Chinese lawyer for your wife immigration application.More then a couple of are members here.Have gone that same route.And had nothing but delays and lost paperwork.So take a good look at this lawyer.And make them tow the line.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:19:22 pm »
Yes, and our immigration expert can also spell better than Maxx as well. (Just sayin)

Also, if you are looking for a quality immigration lawyer, I am certain that someone can point you in the right direction.  Lots of experience on this forum in this department.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:28:25 pm by Martin »

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:33:16 pm »
Hello Kevin,
    Concerning your wife and step-son's forms and fees. You will have to pay for (2) I-130's @ $420 each, (2) immigrant visa fees @$ 330 each, (2) immigrant visa surcharge fee ( fingerprinting)@$74 each, (2) medical examinations @ approx $ 200 each + required immunizations @?  (call the clinic for that price), IF BOTH of the I-130's are processed concurrently at NVC you can get by with (1) $ 88 each  I-864 review (affidavit of support) if they are processed separately then you pay $88 for each case. Concerning other documents, he will also need a police certificate since he is 16 years old. Your wife will have to produce divorce papers and also some type of proof that she full custody of the son or the father's permission for him to leave China with his mother. Your wife will also have to produce his and her birth records and everything has to be translated to English, certified and notarized. Almost all of their civil documents will need to be translated and notarized including divorce records, birth records, police certificates, marriage certificate (white book).As far as fees are concerned you are looking at around $2,300.00 USD for the immigration paperwork and medical, then you will have to add about 3 days lodging , eats, and transportation to Guangzhou, whatever the translation and notary fees cost and your transportation costs to China for the interview if you decide to go. Best Wishes, Robert

P.S. Your Chinese national may include the cost of translations in their price, but that cost is minimal anyway!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:40:09 pm by robertt snellgrove »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:58:24 pm »
Isn't the marriage certificate a red book?  Also, might need her Hokou translated and notarized as well. (household book)

Offline maxx

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:54 pm »
Hey I didn't know this was a spelling contest.All This smack talking is comming from a uncle fester looking Jinadian.Don't be a hater uncle fester we all know you and  Willy really want to be a Americans.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:26:15 pm »
The "White book" is a certified, translated and notarized copy of the "Red Book"  The police certificate, divorce record, birth certificates will be in the same notarial book form also. :)

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 11:32:54 pm »
Now where did I miss my turn?  :D

Offline maxx

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 11:36:12 pm »
See I told you.Looks just like uncle fester from the Munsters.I bet there kissing cousins

Offline Philip

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:56:25 am »
Who's there, kissing cousins? Where's there? ::)

Offline kevster4355

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 07:22:48 pm »
You guys crack me up. Specially the Jinadian. They’re funny people. Though I'm relatively new here, I feel I can say that. I have Jinadian blood, eh. (oops) There's little more here than meets the eye (lol). I do appreciate the help. I realize this site was developed to avoid all the website and profile scams. Seems it has (unintentionally?) morphed into much more. My lack of experience does not give me much to offer the brothers, but if anyone needs help with spelling, I was the 5th grade champ for SE Michigan. Still have the trophy to prove it. Just sayin
I'll continue to dig before I ask questions. I am wondering if anyone has experience with a Chinese step-child coming here and attending (American) high school. I have read a few posts that mention kids in college. I get the impression that my step-son is far ahead of his American cohort, but may have trouble with the language. He has had many years of English, a top student, and is tutored in English (Chinese English) 5 hours each weekend. His tutor says he is doing wonderfully. My experience is that he understands well, but has difficulty putting his thoughts into English words. It seems that some of that is his reluctance to make errors in my presence. I am considering having him finish his last year of high school in China. He would also get another year of English under his belt. Mom is not too keen on leaving him behind though. Anyway, any step children in the mix here?
A fellow member of this site set me up with someone in Shenyang to prepare all of the papers on the China end. He (member) has recently been successful at securing a visa for his wife, and she is coming here soon. I believe that you were instrumental in his success, Robert. They did not use a lawyer, and I was strongly considering the same. She (the Chinese service) has been successful with 5 recent immigrations, that I am aware of. Appears to have a very good track record and is well versed. Still, she makes me nervous. Cost us about $700 American with translations. All of the documents that you mentioned are on the way to me now.
I think I may need a co-sponsor also. I am a full time student, although I graduate May 4, and will have plenty of income at that point. At near retirement age, I decided to go back to school and get a nursing degree. Didn’t think it would take 6 years! At the time, I didn’t think I would be doing it alone either. I got the kids, lost the dog. Not sure who won that one. Wondering if anyone has any idea if current (after May) income and student status would have any impact on income requirements for prior years. I am just below the minimum for 2011 only.
Don’t know how you guys have the time to view and respond to all the posts here. But, know that it is uncommon knowledge and well appreciated.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:13 pm »
First off, you are off to a really bad start when you have to start hacking on us Canadians.  Keep in mind that Maxx, the person who started this ball rolling, has a secret desire to become a Canadian...but we dont let Mexican's who pretend to be American's into Canada...it looks bad on our public image.  Maxx is just upset that Citizenship and Immigration Canada keep mysteriously looking his file.  Seems to me, I saw a picture of him up at the post office wearing a sombrero, that said DO NOT LET INTO CANADA! heehee

As far as the time we spend here...many of the guys have a lot of time on their hands, while they wait for their loved one to make the trip over the ocean.  Its a way for many to stay grounded, and be among other guys who know exactly what they are going through.  Don't feel you always have to give advice...if you have none to give, that's OK...but feel free to write something...let us get to know you...so we can hack on you like we do the Mexican American.  Ole!

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 08:26:04 pm »
Martin,
   Keep your eyes open for this at all the Canuck POE's. ;) 8)   This is how Maxx rolls!

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:43:52 pm »
In answer to kevster , we have had the experience here in Australia with my stepdaughter who has just returned to Shenyang for her final 16 months of school , she also is very bright and 2 years ago here found that what she was being taught she had learned 2 years prior so after being totally bored for 2010 she asked to go back to International school in Shenyang where she became a boarder and went to relations homes for late Saturday and Sundays returning to school on a Sunday night , her English this time out here has been very good and once she finishes school she will come back to Aussie land for Uni .
 One only has to look at the number of hours that she does at school to realise why good Chinese students are so advanced , she spends about 60 hours a week in school and study , way ahead of what it is out here , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 09:12:41 pm »
Hey I didn't know this was a spelling contest.All This smack talking is comming from a uncle fester looking Jinadian.Don't be a hater uncle fester we all know you and  Willy really want to be a Americans.

How many others on here are real Americans?

You know parentage dating back 200 hundred years or more in America.  Not many I would say.

Now my connection with North America probably goes back longer than all on here.  At least well before Rogers Rangers time when my ancestor met up with a beautiful St Clair Indian (well she would have been beautiful as it runs down in the family still). 8)  I have the Genealogical Family Tree to die for as many of my ancestors did protecting their lands from the intruding hordes of misfits from Europe and beyond.

So when you have all finished ruining what is probably MY North America you will put my ancestors decendants back in power as their residential status so demands.

Willy
Uncle Sams favourite son (I think not) ;D
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,