Author Topic: Guess Grandma's Age  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Guess Grandma's Age
« on: March 10, 2012, 06:01:11 am »
How Old is grandma?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.
The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandmother replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:
' television
' penicillin
' polio shots
' frozen foods
' Xerox
' contact lenses
' Frisbees and
' the pill

There were no:
' credit cards
' laser beams or
' ball-point pens
Man had not yet invented:
' pantyhose
' air conditioners
' dishwashers
' clothes dryers
' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandfather and I got married first, and then lived together. Every family had a father and a mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir."
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."
We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the evening breeze started.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends -not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks , CD's, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
We listened to Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.
If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
You could buy a new Ford Coupe for $600, but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:
' "grass" was mowed,
' "coke" was a cold drink,
' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
' "chip" meant a piece of wood,
' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and.
' "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.
No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.

How old do you think I am?
I bet you have this old lady in mind. You are in for a shock!
Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

Are you ready?????

This woman would be only 59 years old , Born in 1952 .

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Vince G

Re: Guess Grandma's Age
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:14:04 am »
Seems to be a mistake in there Willy, or a few.

The Grandmother replied, I was born before:
' television
' penicillin
' polio shots

air conditioners

Some smart ass young punk wrote the list

Offline maxx

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:20:36 am »
I'm going with Vince on this who ever wrote this got there time line all screwed up.Pantyhose were invented in the 30s.The big band era was in the early 40s up to the late 40s.Roosevelt started talking on the radio in the early part of WW2.So given all of this I would say grandma was born sometime in the 1920s.

Ok my bad it was 1959 before the first panty hose was released to the general public
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:41:50 am by maxx »

Vince G

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:49:23 am »
who wrote this did not check history.

First window AC was 1918
TV was widely used (here in US) by 1939
Frozen food was 1923
Penicillin was actually invented (or found) in the 1800's. Became mass produced in the 1940's.
Polio Shots, though it was invented in early 1950 it wasn't used till mid 50's.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 04:42:07 pm »
Well I WAS born before 1952, and Willy is dead right.

Maybe some of the things mentioned HAD been invented at that time, but as far as myn daily life was concerned, none of these few things even figured.

Big bands were the only music I remember on our radio, with some individual songs by the artists of the day.

I remember my Dad actually building a TV when I was a young child, it was the size of a wardrobe and had a 3 inch black and white screen, people used to come for miles (on their bikes !!) just to have a look at this wonder.

We never had a fridge, so frozen food was unheard of. And as for panty hose...I guess as a youngster, I would have had no idea about them ...I just know my Mother wore he old fashioned stockings with a seam up the back.

So, with a few minor differences, I have to strongly agree with the post....how things have changed so quickly !!!

Offline shaun

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:48:53 pm »
With the exception of penicillin I think Willy has it right.  I had a polio shot and was born in 55 my mother didn't she was born in 35.  They were not available then.

Offline maxx

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 12:36:14 am »
Vince are you talking a Ice box ?They have a bin in the bottom.And that is where you put the block of ice.When the ice melted they had a drip pan underneath.That you had to empty every couple of days. If so I have seen a few of them.If you can find one and restore it.You can make allot of money.Theese things sell for triple.Of what the original asking price was.

As far as Willy's time line.It is close.Tommy Dorsey was already dead when grandma was born.I don't know about Jack Benny.I think the time line is to show how far we have come in the last fifty years.And not all of it is good.

I remember reading a news story 4 or 5 years ago.Where a bunch of football players had died in Texas.They all died of Heat exhaustion.The news report went on to say.That every year that they have kept track of  the heat deaths the number of deaths kept climbing.They said the reason was because.30 years ago most people didn't have A/c in there houses.So the football players were more accustomed to the heat.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:03:41 am by maxx »

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 12:50:52 am »
....on a different subject, here is a little story that will (might) make you chuckle !!!  When I first got wind of it, I was prepared to be bloody angry...but the 24 hr rule kicked in and eventually I had a bit of a chuckle too !!

Ming has a son, he is 15, and his Father has custody, he did not want to come to Aus, although he would be most welcome.

She talks to him a lot on QQ and face-book and I send him some money each month (you know how teenagers always are short of money  ;D ;D)

At this time, all of Mings family, relatives, friends, school mates and various other hangers-on know she has married a Lao wei and gone to live in Australia.

She told her Parents that she was not able to come home for a visit this Chinese New Year because her LG could not face the freezing cold, but she told them she would come to Chengdu for a visit in late March for the Quing Ming ritual.....

Whilst speaking with her Son a couple of weeks ago, he told her that it was amazing how many people had given him a "red-envelope" at Chinese New Year...he was a bit puzzled by it, but very grateful.  On further questioning Ming, I found out that of the many red-envelopes, there were a couple of 50 RMB but most of them were 5 or 10....could be about 20 cents Aus !! (but it is the thought that counts, not the value ..isn't it ???)

Now here is the rub......

Ming is now being besieged on QQ by hordes of "friends" from her past who know she is coming to Chengdu in 3 weeks...she has many "polite" requests to bring them all sorts of things from Aus...Fish oil capsules !!, Lanolin, Baby formula, soap, shampoo, vitamins, eye make up, ......the list goes on.......at last count it would be a fair few hundred dollars and about 20 kilos !!!

I can see the Chinese logic at work here....the red-envelope "favour" can now be called in...without anyone losing face.....have I got that right or what !!!

Here in the West, we would just ask a favour...but I dont think the Chinese do it that way !!! (maybe this is a generalisation, but you get the drift anyway.)

Hey Ho...only in China !!!

Offline maxx

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:17:44 am »
David that is exactly how it works.Anybody and everybody who has given that kid a red envelope.Is expecting your wife to bring something from Australia.To give to them.It is all about showing face.We have got to the point where we stockpile stuff like that.And just stick it in a bag.and bring it with us.Last year are  first trip to China cost around 500.00 U.S. dollars in just gifts alone.My second trip to China cost probably right around 300.00 U.S. Dollars in just gifts.There just seems to be no end to it.

My wife's cousin owns a restaurant in Beijing.So when we go to China.We fly into Beijing.And have a couple of free meals at his restaurant.He also picks us up at the airport or the train station.And takes us to are hotel.He won't take money for the ride.Or the food.And you had better watch your pockets.And the kids pockets.Because him or his wife is always trying to stick money in somebody's pockets.

Me and my wife had a marriage ceremony in Aug. of 2006.Between the food and the party and the ring.I was out like 4,500.We drug have of the wedding party to a mountain resort outside of JiuJiang China.And I had to pay for the bus and the hotels.And all the food for 10 starving Chinese girls.So I'm out close to another 500.00.When I go back to JiuJiang China in Dec of 2006.My mother in law has a new refrigerator.And a new couch.Now I'm really ticket off.The wedding party and the food didn't come anywhere close to costing 2,500.So my mother in law took my money and bought that stuff for herself.

I didn't say anything to my wife.It was all said and done.And I was just going to have to get over it.I had told my wife about a month before we went to China.That I wanted to go to Beijing.And spend 3 or 4 days.Just checking it out.So We arrive in Hong Kong.Spent a couple of days in Zhuhai.Then we go north to JiuJiang.Spend a couple of days there.Then we go to Beijing.While we are in Beijing.We seen about everything there was to see.I think I bought some tourist stuff.And maybe a couple of meals.The rest of the trip.The hotels the meals.All l the tourist attraction.The train tickets.Are own personell driver.My wife's brother.And his friends payed for it.It was there way of showing me and my wife face.I tried to pay them back.But they wouldn't here of it.

It is like that everytime we go to China now.I don't dare tell my wife I want something.Because one of her relatives will run out and buy it.If I want something I have to keep it to myself.And just go find it on my own.I told my wife I was going to get a Pepsi one night in China.My wife sends her father out to get me a Pepsi.He comes back with a case of Pepsi.He rode his bike two blocks in the rain.And then strapped the case of Pepsi to his bike.And pushed it all back to the house.My wife seen that her dad had got the Wong kind of Pepsi.So she makes him take the case of soda back.And bring back the right kind.I was just floored.

Last year one of the boys was sick.While we were in china.So we took him to the hospital.My sister in law comes along just to help.My sister in law pays the hospital fees.When I try to pay her back she won't take the money.While me and my sister in law are arguing about the money.My wife tells me That we will go to McDonald's after we got threw.I tell my wife ok.No big deal.So after about 3 hours.We finally leave the hospital.And get a taxi to go home.It is about 12:00 at night.My wife and sister in law.Are talking to the taxi driver.And I'm not paying attention.About half way back to my in laws house the taxi stops.And my sister in law gets out of the cab.And walks off.

I asked my wife where my sister in law was going.My wife says that she is going to McDonald's to get me a cheeseburger.I tell my wife why don't we all just drive over and get everybody something to eat.My wife says no we are going home.Sister will go to McDonald's then she will walk home.I'm just floored.I can't believe anybody would go that far out of there way for somebody else.

So after that.I never say that I want something.If my wife suggest something like this.I tell her that I will go latter.And yet I still have to watch the front door to make sure.Somebody isn't trying to sneak off and buy me something.I have learned how to pay for the stuff.That they buy me and my family.When they are not looking I will stick some money in there wallets.And leave the country before they have a chance to give it back.

Offline funkymusician

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 06:21:02 pm »
Maxx,
You really a very nice guy, and deserve all the joy and treatment you're getting from your Chinese "family". I remember your kinds words to me when I started this journey and ran into a confusing situation, and how it straghtened out eventually thru your advise.

I never even got around to say thanks.i guess better late than never. So thanks. I hope I get in laws like yours

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 09:44:01 pm »
Seems to be a mistake in there Willy, or a few.

The Grandmother replied, I was born before:
' television
' penicillin
' polio shots

air conditioners

Some smart ass young punk wrote the list
I know exactly when TV was invented.  It was in my home town of Hastings, Sussex, ENGLAND  by John Logie Baird (unfortunately he was a Scotsman but had the good sense to live in England).

The premises where he did all this work and tests is the Queens Arcade, still standing.

I did not write the article as I do not have time for such things. And as for reading it - well I skipped through unlike those who seemed to read every word and analize it and not accept it in the spirit that the original writer intended.

Like relationships, some people look too deep into them and end up with nothing but questions.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline maxx

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 11:11:48 pm »
Funkymusician thank you.I'm glad that I could help

Vince G

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 11:12:13 pm »
I knew you didn't write it. Obviously you were there during the invention of the Television and Penicillin (another Scott in England). So I knew you knew better.   ;D

This list I think has been edited a few times. I suspect it might have org. said Color (or colour) TV? I know it was for entertainment purposes but you know I'm a stickler on facts.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 06:52:47 am »
Whats your real name Vince. Joe Friday - "Just give me the facts"  think he was from Dragnet.    ;D
 8)
Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Vince G

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 09:27:10 am »
Oh OK, Willy… Wonka sitting there with your Oompa Loomoas. I need the Golden Ticket (Visa) and given a full tour of the candy factory (China) as well as a lifetime supply of a sweet (Lady).