Author Topic: 1st trip to China - Guangzhou and Chengdu  (Read 16322 times)

Offline kiwisteve

1st trip to China - Guangzhou and Chengdu
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:06:34 am »
Hi all,

I'm getting a bit nervous - only a few weeks to go until I start this trip in May and there is so much to do and learn before I go...

The quick history: I started with online dating sites in mid November 2011, got burned by chnlove, tried a few others, CLL was the best for me, and QQ has been the most valuable method of communication. This forum is also a fantastic resource of shared experiences, advice and encouragement. I hope to get more much-needed advice from the bros in the future, and also by writing this log of my trip, it might help or at least provide interest to others.

I met my lovely lady Anna firstly on CLL, then quickly switched to QQ. We chat several times each day and it seems we know each other really well now. With the 5 hour time difference over the summer (now 4 hours) she would often phone me on my mobile to wake me up when she got home from work so we could chat. Neither of us can speak the other's language but we are teaching each other daily as well as learning from the internet. We are both very much in love, but I am a bit more reserved about that than her, at least until we have a chance to actually meet and spend time together.

BTW, I'm 53, separated with 3 teenagers (not living with me), Anna is 43, divorced and with a 15 year old daughter living with her. Our thoughts at this stage are for her and her daughter to come and live with me here in NZ after we are married. That's it as far as plans go and given we haven't yet met face to face, there's not much point in thinking about that long road too much right now.

She lives in Chengdu, where I'll be for 1 week, and I'm leaving that week totally free for her. She wants to find me a hotel, and is planning on taking me to see family and friends as well as a little shopping and sight-seeing. It is only a short trip, but is all I can afford to do right now.

Firstly I fly from Auckland, New Zealand direct to Guangzhou on the overnight on May 1st. I stop there for about 24 hours for a breather before flying to Chengdu to meet her on her birthday, May 3. Same on the way back a week later.

I've got heaps of things to organise and questions to ask, but for this post I'd like to ask:

Can anyone recommend what part of the city (Guangzhou) to visit for 1 day and one night, also any hotel recommendations? I don't have to have 5 star, but it must be clean and comfortable and handy to shops. In this limited time I'd like to do a little shopping (gifts for my kids mostly), have a quiet drink and a meal, get my bearings and a taste of China, and prepare for the big day the next day.

If there are already topics in this forum on things like things to do, places to stay, things to pack (and gifts), please point me in the right direction. I just did a search here for guangzhou and got 16 pages, which I'll work through when I get a chance.

cheers,
Steve

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
Re: 1st trip to China - Guangzhou and Chengdu
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:41:38 am »
Steve. 24 hours is not much time for a breather if yo want to do much of anything. There is a lot of things to do and see in Guangzhou.

I recommend you visit this  website http://www.gzstuff.com/. It has some ads for the "better" side of town. There is a lot of shops and places to eat near the garden hotel. It is a 5 star hotel and there are a lot of different ethnic groups that stay there and thus you can find a variety of ethnic food. There is upscale dining and shopping as well as some sidewalk vendors on some of the pedestrian overpasses.

I stay away for the ritzy hotels and prefer just a clean room with a bed.  when i travel in china I always stay at the Hanting Express. It is the economy lodge of china. Most larger cities have them and I know Guangzhou has several.

For shopping you need to know Guangzhou is a major export center and you can find anything made in china in the shops and sidewalks in Guangzhou.
So make your shopping list and research it well before you arrive. If not you will surely run out of time just looking at all that stuff. 
Zhongshan 7th Road near the xi men kou subway station is  a great place for electronics new used and stolen.  If you post a list of the kinds of things your looking for I will try to get you enough information to tell a taxi driver where to take you.

Check out this thread for some other suggestions. http://www.chinaromance.net/index.php?topic=2854.0
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:24:45 am »
Steve , just so you understand what Gerry said about the city size , note the following ,Guangzhou is the third largest city in China and southern China's largest city. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 12.78 million.[7] Some estimates place the population of the entire Pearl River Delta Mega City built up area as high as 40 million including Shenzhen (10.36 million), Dongguan (8.22 million) and most parts of Foshan (7.19 million), Jiangmen (4.45 million), Zhongshan (3.12 million) and a small part of Huizhou adjoining Dongguan and Shenzhen, with an area of about 20,000 square kilometres (7,700 sq mi) (about the size of US state of New Jersey). In 2008 Guangzhou was identified as a Beta World City by the global city index produced by GaWC.[8] . In other words this 1 city proper has more residents than 4 New Zealands put together , make sure you have an electronic translator , ie; a Besta or similar to help you out , it will become an invaluable tool between you and your lady , yes in her hometown let her book a 4 star type hotel , generally she can get better rates and would know what locale suits as Chengdu is not a small city either probably a couple of hundred hotels if you just want an idea of hotel costs look at Tripadvisor.com or Expedia.com.au , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline kiwisteve

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 09:55:54 pm »
Thanks guys,

I knew it was a big city, but you put it into perspective. I realise I'm not going to see anything much in 1 day, and I may not be actually buying anything on that first day, just looking at what is there and getting a feel for the culture and language. I felt it was better to stop for 1 day though in Guangzhou and freshen up, rather than meet Anna for the first time at the airport in Chengdu after a long flight.

My business is in computers so I'll be looking mostly at electronic stuff, but also at anything that is significantly cheaper than at home and that is small enough to carry. Also, some personal medication might just come in handy later (it is really expensive here).

I am trying to resist spending any more money on a Besta, plus it's another thing to carry. I have recently upgraded my old PDA to a Samsung Note, and the various translation programs available for Android seem pretty useful so far. Also Anna already has a Besta or similar for when I get to Chengdu.

Just from nosing around Google Earth and reading accommodation reviews, it seems that Beijing Rd for shopping may be a possibility for me, and there are a few average hotels nearby. I'll do more research though as I want to make the most of the very limited time I'll have there. I'll be storing my luggage at the hotel first thing in the morning, then spending the day wandering around. A quiet evening meal, then a good night's sleep before meeting Anna in Chengdu the next morning. I'll have a second chance (1 day and 2 nights) at Guangzhou on the way back a week later. Thanks for the suggestions - I'll do more research.

Steve

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 11:49:09 pm »
Just remember GZ is very spacious. Its a long way between places. Bit like the Strip through Las Vegas - the places look close but they are a hell of a walk from one to the next. 

But for shorter journeys it is often quicker to walk than take a taxi stuck in horrendous traffic.

I suggest that you download a map of the Metro - now goes to the airport.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline maxx

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 01:46:06 am »
Steve I have ben to GZ a number of times.and Willy is right.It is along way from A to B and the traffic can and will be bad.I have ben to Beijing street and it is a good place to check out.There is a real tall building down town by the American embassy.You used to be able to take the elevator to the top floor.It gives you a nice view of GZ. Also right across the street from the embassy is a nice park.It has a waterfall.And some fairly descent sculptures if your into that kind of thing.Right around the corner from the embassy is a nice hotel.If I remember correctly it is called the grand palace hotel.It is a nice hotel.They have everything you would want in a hotel.And the staff did speak English.

In one of your post's you mentioned that your lady is going to book a hotel room for you in her city.That is a good idea.Just make sure that your lady understands.That only certain hotels in China will except foreigners.So your lady needs to make sure that the hotel is able to except foreigners.

Check out the travel section of this web site.Irishman wrote a real good review of GZ.I think he even added pictures.Irishman is the GZ expert here.Good luck and have a good time.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:43:36 am »
Who is this Irishman?   Have we any on this site? Perhaps my memory does not go back that far.  Or maybe he is otherwise engaged nowadays! ;D

Pineau is the one who has spent most time there so he is one to be in contact with and he still writes on here.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline maxx

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:26:34 am »
Willy yes Irishman is still  on here.He posted something last week.But you are right Gerry would probably be the person to talk to.

Offline Chong

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »
Beijing Road is 90% fashion-type stores & restaurants.

Buy a metro pass. The subway system is easy to navigate. And you avoid the HEAVY car traffic and smog.

All over the city, they have motel type places that serves your only purpose of sleeping. Research where you want to be base ( re: shopping and sight-seeing ) and then google motels around that area. Before you pay for the room, ask to go upstairs to inspect the room first.

Have a safe trip.

Arnold

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 02:01:17 pm »
Hi Steve, here are a few Photo's.. of what Maxx was talking about. The pictures show the Hotel we stayed at, next to the Embassy(real nice) and it's right next to the East Train Station.

Offline daghoi

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 03:13:26 pm »

In Guangzhou you can look inot if you prefer to stay on Shamian Island. It is close to the evening cruises on the Pearl River and the famous Qing Ping market. If you find the time I will recommend a walk around the Qing Ping market, you will se so many different and interesting things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamian_Island

Anyway, travel with an open heart and mind, god luck with your adventure.

Offline maxx

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 09:16:35 pm »
Hey Arnold thanks I can't find my pictures.If I remember correctly you and Qing were thiere a couple of years after me and my wife.It still looks good.And yes the subway station is close to there.Chong I thought Beijing street was pretty cool.When me and my wife were there.They had allot of different things.That didn't come from a retail store.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 03:14:57 am »
If you look carefully at picture number three you may see me sleeping in the park. Great in the summer and no hotels to pay for. ::)

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Nigel

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:22 am »
Hi Steve,
      Good luck with it all.
      A few tips from somebody who was in your shoes 12 months ago, and has been to China 8 times since to spend time with the same girl. She was the third girl, and fourth trip, so I have been there a total of 12 times over the past two years, and about 15 times in total.
     Point one
      GZ is a hole, as is most of the pearl river delta, ESP if you come from great climates and places like Oz and Unzud. One day is plenty, the shopping is generally crap and you run a good risk of paying reasonable dollars for good quality fakes, even in the best stores. Beijing road is fun for crowd watching.
       If you got three teenage kids, go to the Canton tower and check out the green store beneath it..... full of really cool stuff your kids will love, trust me. Got a sister store in HK... equally cool.
       Pearl river night cruise pretty good, do not do the dinner cruises, food is pretty crap, but I would say GZ has the worst food in China anyway. Haha, it seems even Anthony Bourdain agrees with that!!
     Point two
      Wise man for taking a days rest first, the best thing you can ever do, actually two would be even better. I assume you are flying China Southern, it is a tough flight. I pay the extra couple of hundred and fly premium economy, the best money you will spend as you often get a four seat row to yourself, and sweet dreams.
  NEVER go straight to Chengdu from NZ... if this lady is the one for you, then the only way you will stuff up is when you turn up exhausted and make rash decisions, or become easily irritated.
    I often go to Qingdao, JiNan or Honkers just for a few days to see her.... HK is ok but the extra 3 hours plus stop over time to the other two cities makes the trip very tiring, and we are never at our best when exhausted. So always plan a short lay-over,even if you feel it is encroaching into your time with her. Bitter experience has taught me this!! If you can get the China Southernnday flight then that is great, or else check out Cathay when on sale.... fly into Honkers and limo to Shenzhen airport if you need to.... I got a great driver who will teach you mandarin on the way!!
   Again...... NEVER turn up tired!!

Point three
      You are a lucky man, Chengdu is a sensational city, you will have a great time. If you are there for a week, I also advise you to spend just half a day apart, gives your subconscious time to have a say, and relaxes your mind from all the nerves and quick thinking.... for example, there are many great golf courses there, go spend four hours there on your own. Trust me, both you and her will be glad to have that little breathing space, no matter how strong the chemistry is. Gives her a good chance to chat to the family and friends too.

Point four
       No matter how many times you tell yourself this, you will at some point forget what a huge cultural divide there is between the two countries. If you have instant chemistry, then just make the assumption up front that if anything goes wrong, or does not seem right, it is cause of the cultural divide. You will be correct 99.9% of the time. And if you do accept this assumption, you will work out the  problem 99.9% of the time.

Point five
       You are going to have a long hard road ahead. I am still not even half way there, but we put our papers in soon, and I think this is the best thing I have ever done. Period. I love this girl to death. There is surely nothing as magnificent as a warm, loving Chinese lady.... they are incredibly special.
   Good luck bro, keep us all informed!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:48:53 am by Nigel »

• Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 09:10:08 pm »
Well said Nigel. If I could write more that 15 serious words maybe I would have said that.  ;D

I will double iterate what Nigel says.  Do not rush to meet the lady on your first visit. You will be tired and they will not look it at like that. Chinese do not get tired whilst travelling - they sleep the journey away! - (in fact they will sleep any day away if possible and in the most unlikely places.)  They will think otherwise and you will get off to a bad start.

Get acclimatised so that so many things are not such a culture shock to you.  Get out of the hotel and walk about, see and be seen ( you will be the centre of attraction in most places). Stay apart at least 8 hours preferably a full day then when you meet you will be wide awake and will be so pleased to see a welcoming smile that it will havce an immediate affect on a relationship.

Another no no is to go and eat your first meal with her family present either at restuarant or at home.  You need to meet her and get to know her face to face before the family gets into the picture.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner