Author Topic: New UK Minimum Income Requirements  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
New UK Minimum Income Requirements
« on: June 10, 2012, 04:32:40 am »
Just heard the Governments new proposals to be in place shortly concerning minimum income required to bring wife and or her children into the UK to live.

UK residents need to have an income of at least 18,600 GB Pounds per year (about 30,000 US Dollars) 

For a wife and one child the minimum yearly income will be 22,000 (about 35,000 US Dollars) and for each additional charge they will need an addition 2400 gb pounds income for each child.

Plus they propose an increase in in speaking English for any immigrant and the person will also need to have a knowledge of 'Englishness' (how to live in UK)

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Re: New UK Minimum Income Requirements
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:00:30 am »
Willy, what is the current requirements for minimum income in the UK? Will or are the sponsors required to support their immigrant spouses for a certain length of time in case of divorce? Does the new English language requirements and the requirements of " How to behave like a Briton" mean that the U.K is admitting their multi-culturalism policy was a mistake. Do you think these new requirements will lead to protests like the university fee increases did? I have attached the current minimum income requirements for the United States, once the Affidavit of Support is signed and submitted the sponsor is responsible or liable for the immigrant for up to 10 years. It looks like our income requirements are not as high as the UK but that is subject to change because the minimum income requirements here are revised yearly! What are your thoughts concerning David Cameron's views towards multi-culturalism in the UK?  Regards, Robert

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:13:07 pm »
I got the information from Theresa May, the British Home secretary in charge of many things including Immigration.   Not directly from her of course, but via a BBC  news programme she was on yesterday.  The lastest target is to reduce the massive immigration into the UK is now centered on spouses and partners.  She states that she wants to reduce the numbers arriving from hundreds of of thousands a year to a more managable figure in ten of thousand or so.  The actual figures need to be confirmed but likely to be exactly as she said as they always 'feel the water' before implementing things by getting on TV like this. 

There will be few protests if any, most people in the UK, including and and 3rd generation immigrants, feel that immigration has reached a ridiculous level and something really needs to be done to curb it.  UK is really a small island.

Unfortunately as usual, they pick on things that are easier to control such as bringing in spouses.

Like a lot of countries austerity measures are hitting then. Incidently austerity measures that were waved through by a government with 29 members in Camerons  cabinet and of which 27 are millionaires!  So it will certainly hit them hard!!!!!!

The practice in the UK is to permit a spouse leave of entry for two years without recourse to public funds. During that time they cannot claim any money from any government dept. Neither can the UK partner of the two claim anything on their behalf. After two year they can apply for citizenship, which can take one up to one year, and once received they are then entitled to all the rights and privileges of a UK Citizen.

If they divorce in that two year period then the immirant is liable to be sent back to their home country after the initial two year period has expired.
They can split up and divorce the day after the person has obtain citizenship in which case they can stay at taxpayers expense if they have no job.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:49:05 pm »
 When the world economy tanked it really pushed immigration into the spotlight ( especially illegal immigration ) Many countries are finding it difficult if not impossible to take care of their own citizens. When a countries resources are being drained by illegal immigrants and austerity measures are being discussed or implemented then you can bet immigration will be pushed to the front of the line for spending cuts and reductions in the number of immigrants allowed to enter a country. The US policy at this time states that the immigrant is not eligible for any means tested benefits for at least 5 years, but the sponsor can receive benefits. The immigrant can apply for citizenship 3 years after receiving their greencard as long as they are still married to the US citizen that petitioned them, if they divorced the US citizen before the 3 years then they must wait 5 years to apply for citizenship. The sponsor on the Affidavit of Support ( I-864 ) is liable for them until the immigrant earns 40 work credits ( takes about 10 years to earn 40 credits ) the immigrant abandons their greencard/resident status, the sponsors dies or the immigrant dies. I think the problems of illegal immigration will be the spotlight of many austerity debates worldwide in the coming months. Here in my locality a local school superintendent is having trouble explaining why he wants to make Mandarin a required course for K-6 grades in Macon Georgia. I find it almost comical since most of the school age children can barely speak decent English anymore. I was reading earlier where Israel is offering illegal African immigrants 1,200 bucks and a ride home if they self deport, I don't think they will have much success because most will take the money and free ride just to return in a few weeks.  :-\

Robert

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »
Here is the article I was reading earlier.

Israel offers cash and a plane ticket to African migrants who willingly leave Interior Ministry: Migrants who leave Israel within next week or two to receive $1,200 — or be expelled    June 9, 2012, 8:18 am JERUSALEM (AP) — African migrants who entered Israel illegally will be given cash incentives if they leave on their own soon, or they will face expulsion, the Interior Ministry said Friday.
A tent city is being built to hold other migrants, the vast majority, who can stay for now, the ministry said.
About 60,000 Africans have trekked through Egypt and other Muslim countries to reach Israel over the past few years. Many are looking for work, while others are seeking political asylum.
A Jerusalem court has ruled that some 4,500 migrants, mostly from South Sudan, Ivory Coast and Mali, are to be expelled.
Interior Ministry spokeswoman Sabine Hadad said Friday that those who willingly leave within the next week or two will receive cash incentives of 1,000 euros ($1,200) and a plane ticket. She said that otherwise, they will be expelled.
Earlier, Interior Minister Eli Yishai said it would take months to expel them.
He told Israel Radio that that a tent city and holding facilities are being built for other migrants who are living in major population centers. He said they will receive food and health care and will have good living conditions there.
Because many are from Sudan, an enemy of Israel, and Eritrea, a country with a flawed human rights record, the line between refugees and economic migrants is blurred. Therefore, Israel has quietly allowed most migrants from those two countries to stay without processing their asylum applications.
Yishai warned that an influx of migrants could destroy Israel’s Jewish character. In some places, entire neighborhoods are inhabited by migrants. Tensions are high in southern Tel Aviv, where a series of rapes, robberies and violence have been blamed on the Africans, sparking protests.
Police say the crime rate among the migrants is lower than for Israelis.
Court decisions are pending regarding migrants from other African countries, mainly Eritrea and Sudan.
The migrants infiltrate Israel’s porous border with Egypt, exploiting the widespread lawlessness in Egypt’s Sinai peninsula.
Israel is erecting a barrier along the roughly 200 kilometer (125 mile) border with Egypt. But the migrants continue to arrive at a rate of about 1,000 a month, and some report being raped, tortured and extorted by the Arab Bedouins who smuggle them through.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:30:21 pm »
Willy,  I found a copy of the new rules you were talking about.It looks like they will go into effect in July of this year. This should keep you occupied for awhile because it is 71 pages in length! ;)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/news/soi-fam-mig.pdf

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:06:17 am »
Well at least there is an increase in the speed of dealing with applications for visitor visa - well in our case anyway.  Last Thursday we went to Guangzhou to apply for visa for my wife and today it arrived.  She can stay in UK for up to 6 months although we will only be there for maximum of two weeks.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner