Author Topic: Honkers to Chonkers  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Philip

Honkers to Chonkers
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:20:17 am »
This is my last week in Hong Kong. I have been here for 2 years. Every day, I look out from my beautiful Sai Kung flat at the South China sea. It has been a very satisfying two years, professionally-speaking, and it has been amazing living in a sub-tropical climate after a life in cold and dreary England.
So, am I bonkers, leaving Honkers for Chonkers?
Well, if it were just me, I would stay here quite happily for many years. But my family takes priority, and I don't think it's fair for my wife to wait for 7 years (the time needed to apply for permanent residency in Hong Kong), before she is able to work or study here.
I will spend next month in Europe, visiting family, then my wife and I will meet up in Chongqing in August and I will begin a new job and a new life. Her two children will visit for a holiday (they were never able to visit us in Hong Kong), and my wife and I will be able to live together without the visa clock ticking away counting the days until our separation.
Soon Willy will not be the only July-born Londoner who went to China to live with his Hunan-born bride, and said, "First wife, last wife, only wife". Happy birthday Willy for Wednesday! Happy birthday to me for Thursday. Here's hoping for a great adventure. :)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: Honkers to Chonkers
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:47:45 am »
Wow mate.  I cannot believe that those two years have passed so quickly and even longer since we first met up in London.

The Hong Kong sisa clock will not be running for your wife but remember yours will then start!  Hope you do not have an hiccups as I had once and had to toodle off to Macau for a day. 

But a big welcome to you for the new life in China - I like the idea that there is another Brit with the credentials of first, last and only wife. We Londoners must have a special gene or maybe we are just special.

The 5th is a good day - sometimes I wish mine was then and not the day before.  So thanks and a reciprocal greeting to you.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:12:48 pm »
Willy, I do not understand why you would wish for a different birthday when yours is celebrated all over America...  :o Uh...  :P I think I understand now. ;D  Hehe... Oops... I mean... My sincerest condolences to you Mr. Londoner.  ;D ;D ;D

No really Willy and Phillip I hope the both of you have a happy Birthday.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:08:12 am »
Hi Phillip,  I was quite surprise that the Chinese President flew into Hong Kong to say  to you goodbye Hong Kong hello Mainland.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Philip

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 05:46:23 am »
Got my Z visa (working visa) from the China Visa office in London. Not long now