Author Topic: The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:09:19 am »
The first Friday of July starts our traditional stampede with our Stampede parade. The Sunday following is family day where before 9am you can get on the grounds free. So the actual date the Sunday falls on varies each year. It seems Iconic, or is that Ironic that the date July 8th juxtapositions with two important events for me.

It was on Family Day, 1990 that was the 8th of July that I first saw my future first wife at the Stampede. I can still remember what she wore that day, while Arnold could tell you who hoisted the World Cup that day. It is another Anniversary for me today, because 4 years ago I asked my archer friend Cupid to fire a note to my current wife. And 4 years later she is here with me attending her first ever Stampede that happens to be family day on July 8th!

She really enjoyed being on the grounds and needless to say I had to buy her a gift to mark the occasion. The military had on display a Leopard tank from the Lord Strathcona Horse Regiment and I asked teasingly, the Sergeant to tell her that the tank was not MADE IN CHINA but I am sure Arnold could tell you from which jungle metal leopards can be spotted being made in.

So for me, Family Day, at the Stampede makes me reconsider what it means when they call the Calgary Stampede The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth and in Particular Family day, when it falls on the 8th being Femme fatale day.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:19:16 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:36:20 am »
Sorry Rhonald. Have to take them up on that title. The Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth is French but not Canadian.

It is the Tour De France - It is nothing for a million spectators to be lining the route every day of the three weeks it takes place.

But I do realise just how significant it is for you personally.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 08:05:23 am »
It is obvious that you two have never been to Bike Week in Daytona, Florida! Why watch a bunch of men in tight shorts ride bikes when you can watch this? ;)

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 08:18:33 am »
It is obvious that you two have never been to Bike Week in Daytona, Florida! Why watch a bunch of men in tight shorts ride bikes when you can watch this? ;)

For a start those two are not wearing Lycra with bulging chamois underpants.  :P

Secondly they are American so have no interest for me. ;D ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Arnold

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 11:21:29 am »
Well now.. that I see my Name twice in one Post and having my native Country in Mind, I'd thought better reply to this one.

Rhonald, I definitely see your GSonE the way you see it. I have mine and it really has nothing to do with a million People... only Two. As ( 8 ) seems to be engraved on your back, I also carry it around everywhere I go.  8)

A Leopard would actually make a wonderful Vehicle to learn how to drive over there in China, one can never be safe enough.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:32:28 pm »
Here is a link where you can view pictures from The Redneck Games in Dublin, Georgia. This should keep you entertained for awhile Willy. This is our version of the Olympics here in the South. This actually a very fun and amusing event to attend! :)

http://summerredneckgames.com/photos/

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:11:16 am »
Here is a link where you can view pictures from The Redneck Games in Dublin, Georgia. This should keep you entertained for awhile Willy. This is our version of the Olympics here in the South. This actually a very fun and amusing event to attend! :)

http://summerredneckgames.com/photos/
We did all that 50 years ago at music festivals.  Gets old hat after a while.  I now prefer the Chinese games that involve a lot of water without the mud.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline shaun

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:16:07 pm »
Hey, I'll be in Dublin Friday morning.  Wonder if it is still happening?