Author Topic: 1,000,000 Visas Processed in 2012 by the U.S. State Department  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
State Department Processes One Millionth Visa in China for Fiscal Year 2012
July 12, 2012

Consular Officers at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and our four consulates general in Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Shenyang have processed more than one million visa applications to date in fiscal year 2012 while reducing the wait time for a visa interview appointment to approximately one week.
This extraordinary accomplishment represents visa processing growth of almost 43% over the same period last fiscal year, when we had processed just over 675,000 visa applications in China.
To achieve this, we increased staff, improved workflow, implemented a new pilot program waiving the in-person interview requirement in certain instances, and undertook other changes to our procedures – without compromising border security.
We are implementing permanent solutions to keep us ahead of the growing visa demand for years to come. During a June trip to China, the Department’s top consular official, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Janice Jacobs, cut the ribbon on a reopened annex to our Embassy in Beijing, greatly increasing visa interview capacity.
China is not the only place where the State Department has achieved great success in meeting dramatic increases in visa demand. In Brazil, we have processed almost 44% more visa applications so far in FY 2012 than we did during the same period last year. In Mexico, we have processed 36% more visa applications. China and Mexico are the only two U.S. Missions that process more than one million visa applications each year, although Brazil is on track to become the third.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: 1,000,000 Visas Processed in 2012 by the U.S. State Department
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:32:27 pm »
I would be interested to know just how many of the applications resulted in a Visa actually being issued!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:02:54 pm »
I would be interested to know just how many of the applications resulted in a Visa actually being issued!

Willy

Here is the stats for B-visas for 2011. B1/B2 is business and tourist visas ( nonimmigrant) could not find anything concerning spousal/family visas at this time, but will keep looking.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/refusalratelanguage.pdf

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:32:25 pm »
I think I was not to clear. What I was asking was is there are record of how many Visas were issued.

You can improve the throughput if you rubber stamp 9 out of 10 as refusals.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:45:50 am »
No good sending me links.  Even Maxx knows that I do not read things. ;D ;D ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 12:20:47 pm »
For what it is worth...'legal' immigration is in the best interests of any country.
I think it was just a few weeks ago, it was mentioned on this forum that 'actual' Asian immigration constituted like approximately 9% of all U.S. immigrants, in what...2011.
From what I gather, the 'typical' Asian immigrant is 'better' educated, 'better off' financially than other immigrant groups (their peers) and in being so, has the distinct probability of being an 'immediate' contributing participant (less social services costs) with their American adventure.
I venture to say the 'trend %'s' increase substantially in the future years...Asians, particularly Chinese, will constitute the biggest percentages. I think a good question is how many Chinese ex- pats ultimately return to China and for whatever reasons. I know Willy looks Caucasian but....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:29:39 pm by JohnB »

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 09:42:04 pm »
I think your right John.

Most Asian who are immigrants nowadays are better educated having worked hard at school.  Here as you probably know the number of college places available each year are less than the numbers applying and only the very best get them.

The problem is that for many years ago you could achieve immigration status to most 'new' country with lower education standards and lower conception of lifes value.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline maxx

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 01:02:13 am »
Japan and China's education systems.Are Tough.With allot of competition to be number one.So that you can get into a good university.I knew a girl who was struggling in her high school  math class in China.I looked at her math homework.It was way beyond me.My wife looked at it.She had no idea.My wife is a college graduate in China.It  took a college level math professor to explain it to us.It was just to bad nobody could understand what he was saying.He was from Ireland. You know they talk with a funny accent there. ;D

Lately there has ben a number of doctors showing up here in New Mexico.That are from India.I think it all boils down to what Willy and JohnB posted.These immigrants have got there act together.And are very well educated.And while some of them are here.They are still getting more Education.I think it is UCLA in California.About 30% of the student population is from Asia.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 04:12:43 pm »
For what it is worth...'legal' immigration is in the best interests of any country.

I think you are probably right in this statement...when spoken as a matter of principal and not a matter of actuality.

I believe that there must be a proviso attached to such a statement, and that is....

" Legal Immigration is in the best interests of any Country, provided that these Immigrants genuinely wish to have a better life through working for it, and genuinely want to integrate fully into their new home Country"

Sadly (as we see in Aus), many migrants (legal and illegal) have no intention of working for a living, just want to get their snouts in the Government hand-out trough and dont have the slightest intent of attempting to integrate with the rest of the population.

Now where does that leave us ????????????????