Author Topic: Difficult situation  (Read 6549 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
Difficult situation
« on: August 17, 2012, 05:21:47 pm »
http://www.canadameet.tv/news/canada/2012/0816/151103.html

The above link is in Chinese - you'll need to translate it.

The gist of the story is that this couple (Canadian man and Chinese woman) met in 2006, married in 2007, and are still fighting with immigration to get his wife into Canada.  It goes on to state that Hong Kong has the highest denial rate in the world.

I wonder if the gentleman in the story has visited our site? 

My wife sent me the above link.  Almost every week, I have to reassure her that I am not going to divorce her.  She is terrified that we will be denied a second time.  I'll be heading back to China in September to attend our niece's wedding and to try to calm her down.  This will be my 7th trip to see my wife and her family. 

3 weeks ago, I received a letter from the Immigration Appeal board informing me that they received my letter of intent to appeal - 3 months after I sent it.  It states that they have 120 days to contact me with information about our appeal.  I still have not received any reasons for our denial beyond the fact that they do not believe our relationship is real. 

...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: Difficult situation
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:38:54 pm »
Canada still has the feel of a country that has an unwritten anti Chinese policy that is a hundred years out of date.

There is always room for you here in China Neil but 'Nil Desperandum' Don't let the B------ds grind you down.

You will make it through.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline sunny

• 庄生晓梦迷蝴蝶
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 12:11:19 am »
The problems of the story above were the wife didn't know her husband has a son with his ex-wife and the husband didn't know his wife bought a condo in China.

Offline ron

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:33:49 am »
a joint bank account and the wife drawing from it to pay bills to show support from her husband isnt a bad idea.And an insurance policy showing him or her has the beneficiary.A will in case something happens is a good thing to show.These things would help prove all intentions.Just a suggestion it is some of what I read.

Offline Neil

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 04:26:51 pm »
a joint bank account and the wife drawing from it to pay bills to show support from her husband isnt a bad idea.And an insurance policy showing him or her has the beneficiary.A will in case something happens is a good thing to show.These things would help prove all intentions.Just a suggestion it is some of what I read.

I also read that.  I was thinking about a will as well. 

I just bought a house - my first.  I move in September 1.  I hoped to put her name on the title somehow, but the lawyer doesn't think it's possible until she has her landed immigrant status.  She was devastated when I told her that.  I'll do everything I can.

I have a Chinese friend that owns a hotel in town.  He has offered her a job, which will help with showing that there is a support group here for her (he, his wife and his niece all speak English and Mandarin).  He employs Chinese immigrants and sponsors them for immigration. 

Offline sunny

• 庄生晓梦迷蝴蝶
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 06:24:14 pm »

I have a Chinese friend that owns a hotel in town.  He has offered her a job, which will help with showing that there is a support group here for her (he, his wife and his niece all speak English and Mandarin).  He employs Chinese immigrants and sponsors them for immigration.

Neil, I  searched the Chinese forum about this kind of information. They said the Visa Officer may thinks her intention of purpose of immigration is to obtain this job.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 09:40:39 am »
Yes, as Sunny has stated, I hear it might not be a good idea to mention a job being lined up as they might see her as just using you to get to Canada to land the job. From what I gather, her response to come to Canada should just be wanting to live with her husband and to take care of the new family.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline maxx

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 05:46:48 pm »
I'm going with Sunny and Rhonald on this one.I don't know about Canada.But with the U.S. that is a trick question.That if you answear wrong.The visa will be denied.The only correct answear is.That you are going to live with your spouse.

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 06:56:48 pm »
Exactly how you build your lives together after the visa is something you can plan prior to it being given (house car shopping I would mention, shows intent for long term) but employment I would leave out.  Sure it would be nice to have some arranged prior to arrival but I would not mention it.  Also one thing that maybe worth considering is the fact that your wife will be so out of her depth coming to a new country starting a job as soon as she lands may not be the best thing for a settling in period.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 11:16:36 pm »
In the UK the tricky part comes after she has been in the Country for 2 years.  If they consider that she is a lot younger than you or they find some other reason then both get called for an interview in Sheffield.  Each is interviewed and the answers written down. Then you sign it. The answers are then checked in private and they decide there and then if she is going to be given leave to remain.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline T Town Hombre

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 12:23:09 pm »
I am confused by this.  You are saying that if she has a job lined up not to mention it.  So I am wondering.  Is it wrong for her to say that she will look for a job and work in America?  Seems like you would want people like that.

Arnold

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 02:33:25 pm »
I am confused by this.  You are saying that if she has a job lined up not to mention it.  So I am wondering.  Is it wrong for her to say that she will look for a job and work in America?  Seems like you would want people like that.

Hombre, I have learned.. never-never tell the Gov./Immig. more then they ask for. If it's not part of their of their proceedure, DON'T add it.. it's not necessary. Anything you add, gives them a reason to check deeper and have more material to deny Visa's. 

Example: Qing lived in Japan for five years, I never mentioned that to the Immigration under my Lawyers advice. So no need for them go digging into what she did there and of course get a Police report from there for them. My Lawyer said, the Visa process is between China and the US and has nothing to do with Japan. So was all good ( for us at least).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:38:19 pm by Arnold »

Offline Neil

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 06:21:49 pm »
Yes, I've heard that said a hundred times.  She should only mention that she's coming to live with her husband. 

I also read (and I wish I could find it) that having a job lined up increases the chances of being approved.  It's a typical governmental case of being dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. 

I think, for an initial application, I wouldn't mention a prospective job.  In our case, this will be an appeal.  I believe it will be a mediation style appeal with me and one or more immigration appeal board members.  In that case, I could go on to explain that this job is not the main reason, or even a guaranteed thing - it's just an opportunity, if she wants it, if she has spare time, and after she's become comfortable in her new home.  I believe we will also be given the opportunity to have a translator phone my wife and interview her.  In which case, she can reiterate what I just said. 

I fully intend to explain to them that all we want is for my wife and her son to come home.  They aren't looking for welfare money.  They aren't trying to take away local jobs.  They don't plan to hit the ground running, and disappear into the wood work.  If they just give us a chance to explain that this is a real relationship; that after 7 trips to China, we're more than committed to each other, as husband and wife.  I don't know what more we can do.  Maybe I'll have to get her pregnant.

Offline maxx

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:03:30 pm »
Hombre good point.But it is not the answear immigration wants to hear.As far as immigration is concerned.If you or your wife.Tell them that she has a job.Or she is going to the U.S. to look for work.It says to immigration.That the only reason your wife married you.Was so that she could come to America.And get a green card.So immigration thinks that your marriage is a marriage of convenience.Or that your wife payed you to file the visa for her.

I know this is not the case with you and your wife.And if I hadn't seen what I seen in Alb one day.At the biometric exam place.I would think immigration is really taking this to far.

2 years after my wife came to the states.I had to take my wife  to Alb.And get her picture taken again.And they took her fingerprints again.To get her permanent green card.While we were at immigration.A Mexican man and a white woman came in.The Mexican was younger then the woman.She didn't speak Spanish and he didn't speak English at all..They brought there own translater.The translater was the guys brother.The woman was no prize beauty queen.She was probably 12 to 15 years older then him So all of this started to raise red flags with immigration.

I was standing there watching all of this.And the security guard walked up.And asked me if I seen a problem with this relationship.I said yes.Do's the brother live with them? how do they talk to each other?Why would such a good looking guy.Marry some one that was old enough to be his mother.This guy could of picked and chose.From any of the Latina beauties in Alb.But yet he was with.The ten tons of fun.And to make matters worse they had just showed up.They didn't have a opointment.Like my wife did.So the guy behind the counter Tells them to leave.And come back when they had actually received there appointment date.They were still arguing with the immigration guy.When me and my wife left the building.So I don't know what the end result was.But my guess is border patrol was going to show up in a minute.And start asking some tough questions.

When my wife did her first biometric exam.We went to Alb.We went to immigration and I registered my wife.When they called my wife.I followed my wife up to the counter.The lady behind the counter asked me if I was the husband.I said yes.The lady told me to go ahead and have a seat in the waiting area.I hadn't set there five minutes.Before the lady and my wife are waiving for me to come back to the counter.The lady told me my wife doesn't understand the question.So I asked the lady what the question was.She told me.And I asked my wife.In a little English a little Chinese,And a little Chinglish.The lady was testing us to see if we actually really knew each other.I stood right there and helped the lady ask my wife the questions.In a language that my wife could understand.

That is why U.S immigration makes you jump threw all these hurdles.It Is because to many times somebody like the white woman and the Mexican man has stuck it to them.That is why there is 2 biometric exams for the Fiancee visa.That is why they may just show up at your house one day.And talk to you and your wife.They don't call they don't make a oppointment.They just show up to see if you 2 are really man and wife.

Immigration knows all the same tricks that we do to prove that it is a real marriage.Or a ongoing relationship.They know about us transferring money.They know about are many trips to see are wives.They know about the emails,And the phone calls.People can and do fake this.But what we have a harder time faking.Is a face to face meeting with a immigration official.And the immigration official seeing how we act together.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:35:13 pm by maxx »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 08:12:21 pm »
But what we have a harder time faking.Is a face to face meeting with a immigration official.And the immigration official seeing how we act together.

Good point Maxx, and that I wonder, might be why that eventhough I thought my wife's interview in Hong Kong would give us a rejection, the Immigration officer saw how we two interacted together when I had to ask her the reason we had a discrepancy in our view points.

Unfortunately, I think I remember Neil saying that he never had a chance to interact with his wife during their visa interview. I sure hope Neil that your appeal interview has them being more lienant with you.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances