Author Topic: Living in Chongqing  (Read 5382 times)

Offline Philip

Living in Chongqing
« on: September 01, 2012, 08:58:53 pm »
Coming up to one month, living in Chongqing with my wife. Life is very nice indeed. Got a great apartment provided by my school, with views over a valley with a large golf course. Living in the relatively unpopulated Northern Zone of the city, but right next to a monorail station which links the airport to downtown. School is great, a closely knit community of teachers and parents, Chinese and English. There are still only a few thousand foreigners here, but it is growing, with Ford and other car and IT companies bringing people over, mostly from the US and Australia.
My wife and I are expecting a baby in December (my first), so we are looking at hospitals. Even the international hospitals are not that expensive, and they can cater to Western-type requirements. Most things are pretty cheap here, certainly cheaper than big cities like Guangzhou, Shanghai and Beijing. Local stores do not have Western food as a rule (though you can find anything if you look, Walmart, Metro, Carrefour, etc.). But then foreigners are still a bit of a rarity. This week, a new supermarket opened closeby. It was like the circus had come to town - the excitement was unbelievable. Yesterday, in the vegetable section, the giggly shop assistant shyly told her friend that I was the second foreign person she had seen TODAY!
The head of my school is Australian, so of course he is sport-mad, and yesterday, a bunch of teachers and parents had our first training session for the football team (google translate = "soccer"). I was in defence, right-back, and my legs just held out). We are the best football team in Chongqing (well, until recently, we were the only one). Although I haven't succumbed yet, many of the teachers have bought electric bikes (for less than 4000rmb). The school run is like a slow-mo version of Easy Rider.
Wherever we go in China, my wife switches to the dialect/accent/language of the area. Very clever. People say, "Ah! You speak Chongqinghua!" Then they chat about "The American" (me) and are curious about how we can communicate.
So, I have to say I love Chongqing, especially on days like today, when the sun burns through the smog, which is not as bad here in the north part of town.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: Living in Chongqing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:42:59 pm »
That's great news Philip AND congratulations to you both in the forthcoming increase.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Vince G

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:17:02 pm »
Ditto to Willy's and adding good luck

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:49:11 am »
I was hoping that you would love the hustle and bustle of ChongQing , for a city of so many I still do not know where they all are unless they counted everyone twice , all the best for your coming addition , as a mixed family can you have more than 1 child , just asking , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 04:43:07 am »
Glad to see you are liking it. How long are you going to stay?
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Philip

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 05:10:36 am »
Thanks Gerry. I am on a 2-year contract, and could extend it. Robert, we plan to register the baby as British (using English name), get a British passport, an exit visa, travel to the UK next summer, get a China visa in the baby's passport, then renounce the Chinese citizenship when we return. No hukou. This should make it possible to have another child. The baby, being British, would be entitled to study (for free) at my international school from 2 years of age.
I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, but gotta plan ahead. If we stay, job prospects are pretty good. If we return to the UK, who knows?
Thanks, Willy and Vince for your good wishes.

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 05:16:29 am »
Congrats to you both.  As a new father myself all I can say is get some sleep now whilst you can........
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:22:59 am »
I guess since this update comes from an Englishman, we could say Sublimey news Alex. I am glad you are settling in well - except for that bump in the future, but I am sure your wife will return to her svelte figure in no time. With the baby due by December, I can't wait for the Buzz when you confront us with that ritual of shaving the babies head. But then again, baby would look like dad  8)
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:25:15 pm »
But then again, baby would look like dad  8)

Why spoil the moment Rhonald? ;D ;D ;D

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 09:14:25 pm »
Glad to see you are happy with your new position and congrats on keeping the storks busy! Here is an example of what you have to look forward too! ;D

Offline Philip

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 05:29:22 am »
As my wife will most likely be breastfeeding, Robert, I'm afraid I will not be able to show a photo of me in our baby food department - they would be strictly censored!
And Rhonald, the baby had better inherit my wife's hair. The baby's head will not be shaved, but if he inherits my hair, the point will be entirely moot. ;)

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 08:28:36 am »
Great news, and congrats to both of you' ^^
Btw, how warm is it in Chongqing actually?
Have fun and we wish you all the best for your life over there.
Regards,
Liyan & Sylvain
- Let's Rock -

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 09:43:01 am »
As my wife will most likely be breastfeeding, Robert, I'm afraid I will not be able to show a photo of me in our baby food department - they would be strictly censored!
And Rhonald, the baby had better inherit my wife's hair. The baby's head will not be shaved, but if he inherits my hair, the point will be entirely moot. ;)

Here is a face you might see frequently then! ;D

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 09:45:24 am »
Haha Robert !! I will never forget that one !!!!  ;D ;D
- Let's Rock -

• Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 08:31:27 pm »

Philip, even though I never had kids I do know the home brewed feeding does not go on for ever!  So we look forward to seeing the photo of you in the local Walmart trying to decipher the labels from Chinese.  I hear that mashed up chicken feet are favourites at moment for first solids. But who know what will top the charts in a years time when your son/daughter are ready for that journey. 

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner