Author Topic: "The East Is Rising"  (Read 1391 times)

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
"The East Is Rising"
« on: September 03, 2012, 02:36:23 pm »
Meet the 29 Chinese cities powering global growth.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/08/13/the_east_is_rising 
Foreign Policy's index of the 75 most dynamic global cities contains more than a few surprises, but perhaps none more so than the fact that 29 of these cities are in China -- far and away the most of any country on the list. As part of its mad dash toward modernization, China has rapidly urbanized, spawning a slew of massive cities whose size is only tempered by the surprising fact that most people in the West have never heard of them. Despite their relative anonymity, these are the cities likely to drive the world economy during coming decades. Some are high-tech manufacturers; others are bathed in smoke produced by the factories that not long ago were a common sight in Western countries. Meet the 29 Chinese cities powering global growth.
Shenyang, adjacent to my wife's city of Fushun, is ranked #20, before London, Paris & HongKong.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/08/13/the_most_dynamic_cities_of_2025

Some months ago I read an article about Chinese mega cities. That article piqued my interest. Shenyang will incorporate Fushun, +20 mil by 2020; also, Xian will be +20 mil by 2020 & if Hong Kong would incorporate Shenzhen, it would be the 3rd largest city in the world.
I guess one can play with the population figures and fashion what they will, but there is no denying the lofty projected growth percentile of the 15 year span, 2010- 2025. Things are happening in China whether they be good (quantitatively) or bad (qualitatively).

I venture to guess that things do not age gracefully in China except for maybe Willy.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:39:05 pm by JohnB »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: "The East Is Rising"
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:54:25 pm »
I have noticed a really closeness developing between Hong Kong and Shenzhen.   Mainlanders living in Shenzhen can now go into Hong Kong daily without the need of going back to their Hokou to get the entry exit pass.

You see mainlanders coming back across the border loaded and I mean loaded as only the Chinese can achieve with one set of luggage wheels! Western baby milk and feed is one of the most popular.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,