Author Topic: update  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Mark_in_Canada

update
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:42:05 pm »
Hello everyone, sorry for the long lapse, but I have been very busy since my wife came to Canada.
She has been here since July 2nd.  I have been reading here from time to time, so now it is time to share my story.  I could not have imagined my life as it is now.  Our cultures are very different, and this type of relationship may not be for everyone.  I think you have be a very patient and understanding person.
It has taken us awhile to get used to the way each culture thinks.  I think if a person can make it past six months then you have a better chance for succcess.  This has been one of the hardest relationships I have had, but it has also been the best!!!  I think since we a little bit older, we are pretty much set in our ways.  My wife still wants to wash my cloths by hand and take control of the kitchen...haha.
I dont think she could have imagined what it is like to live in Canada.  I will update more as I have time to do so.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: update
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:19:40 am »
Nice to hear the update Mark  We would all like to hear how you are doing in the future.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Arnold

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:35:45 pm »
 :) I second that Willy  ;)

Offline Smaug

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:54:10 pm »
Congrats Mark; I'm jealous.

Offline Mark_in_Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:25:58 pm »
Hello everyone, time for another update. It has now been 10 months since my wife (Lan) has come to Canada to live with me. Things
are great, we have all settled into a good family life.  My wife has adjusted to her Canadian life, and my sons have adapted well to her also. I have truly been blessed to find the love of my life. I only wish I had met her 20 years ago, but I guess things happen at a particular time for a particular reason.
Lan started English classes today at Norquest College here in Edmonton. She is pretty excited about it all !!! It is about a 40 minute walk from our house here. I couldn't convince her that I would be happy to drive her, she said it was a good way for her to keep
thin.  Hey, who am I to argue  :)  ;) ;)
Also here it is May, and the temperature today is a balmy 27C!!!!
Mark
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:30:37 pm by Mark_in_Canada »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 05:40:29 pm »
Good to hear from a fellow Albertan. My wife is just shy of 16 months here. She started at ESL level 2 but this last semester qualified for level 3. What level is your wife registered at?
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Mark_in_Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:06:44 am »
Hi Rhonald,

my wife is enrolled in the (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) program, which is a free program. Her English is at a
fairly low level right now.
Mark

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:22:07 am »
Yes my wife is enrolled as well (1000 hours of free class time in English) at the center for newcomers in N.E. Calgary. If in this time they achieve a level 5 standing (level 5 is native speaking standard), then they qualify for, I believe an extra 300 free hours. Attached to the mall is a T&T supermarket. For you non Canadians  - T & T Supermarket is a Canadian supermarket chain which sells primarily Chinese and Asian foods. Many Chinese shop there so that eventhough she is at the mall to learn English, she also can feel a bit like she is back home. Now with Martin also living in Alberta, we need to plan our own western styled BBQ dumpling meeting place.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:25:57 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 05:11:32 pm »
I get Sundays off..if you want to make the short drive north. Although, I haven't found any dumpling restaurants up here.

Offline Mark_in_Canada

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 01:00:55 pm »
Hi everyone, just had a few spare minutes so I thought I would share my thoughts at this time. It has been almost one year now (July 2nd),
since my wife came to Canada.  We are at a point know where we really understand each other, and if it is possible are even more in love.
For anyone who has travelled down this path will know it is not easy to get to that point.  The cultures, the way of thinking, and doing things, is very different to what most of us is used to. 
We are both very happy and making plans for the future.  Retiring later to Hangzhou would be very nice.  I am worried about a few things, the biggest one is health care there, the second is the pollution.
My wife is still going to English classes everyday. She has made a lot of Chinese friends here, so I am very happy. We have gone out to a few movies together even though she can understand most of what is being said, she still enjoys them.  We originally met through Chinese Love Links, and sometimes we reminisce about that. I hope everyone else is doing as well also!!!