Author Topic: Leap of faith to Shanghai!  (Read 28215 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: Leap of faith to Shanghai!
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 02:21:16 am »
Just make sure that she finds you the right hotel.

A Chinese lady will try to find one that is less expensive and may not have the right facilities for you. It is so natural for them to do that.
Very few hotels have Western Style cereals available.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47:06 pm »
Well Martin?
"..I too am leaving in just a few days. I bought my tickets a few months ago.."
Did you go?

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2013, 06:27:51 am »
Well Martin?
"..I too am leaving in just a few days. I bought my tickets a few months ago.."
Did you go?

Gone, and am at my destination. Could not be happier.

Offline AbovetheLAW

• Do or Do not...there is no try.
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2013, 09:00:25 pm »
Well....at 12 days and counting. Wow I think the last time I was posting here I was at 38 days and crying. Now im at 12 and overwhelmed with excitement. Me and her cannot stop talking about our first meet and how we think we will react. Sometimes I tell her 'lets not talk about this' because it makes the wait very difficult. Martin your common sense advise was spot on, time is so constant that its going to go whether we want it to slow down or speed up. Irishguy I have also been trying to keep busy and its working a bit for me but I see what you mean, the number of the day is still lingering in the back of your head...12...12...12....12. Then tomorrow.....11 ......11......11......11.

Life has been going really great for me recently. I just landed a new job today and I think I will be super busy with that until its time to leave. Im on top of the world right now! I have been talking with keshu and I told her with this new job we can possibly get a lawyer now and get the visa process for her started early. Of course im trying to take it slow but I really have deep feelings for this girl and I wont be surprised if I marry her on 2nd visit. The downside to this job is I will not have vacation time until around...February so I told her I will come in March but only for a week as thats all my job will allow me being that I just started :(  . I guess I have to take the good with the bad. I know I have to do what I have to do if Im going to be able to make a life for us, sacrifices must be made.

Im thinking of making a video blog of my trip but im not sure...I will for sure give updates on here everyday.....well almost everyday lol. I have been lurking these forums for about 3 years and I really became active about a year ago i think.. well maybe this year. A lot of people who inspired me and I used to read about are not on this forum anymore to witness my experience, I wont name specific names because i dont want to leave people out but sooo many stories I have read of trips and 2nd trips and 3rd trips made me realize that is really is ALL worth it in the end. I cant wait for you guys to share my journey.

I have really been worrying about lost/delayed luggage lately because all my gifts for her will be in my check in...hope it doesn't happen to me. Im also trying to remember everything I need. I looked at Irishguys post and saw all the replies so I think i will be good.

- Jake
...   ...    ...  Death! ... ... ... ... ...

Arnold

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2013, 10:56:39 pm »
... 11...11...11...11.....................................ahhhh 10!

Jake, about the Luggage.. I flew four times to Pudong and never had any problems with my Bags. Come to think of it, even on the way back with tons of Tea and everything else they thought I need to live on comming back.. haha.

We are certainly looking forward for you Story to arrive here with us, how many days are left?

Offline AbovetheLAW

• Do or Do not...there is no try.
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2013, 11:18:38 pm »
@Mpo...Max? right? Thank you man, I loved reading your adventures.
@Arnold, I am on 12 days.

I leave to see her on the 25th ....actually at the very beginning of the 25th, my flight is at 12:30 AM. I actually dont mind that time because when I land in Shanghai it will be 12:30 pm on the 26th. So we will have that whole day to do whatever. She said she will meet me at the airport and she will run to me if she sees me haha. I always hear everyone say how beautiful their woman is in real life compared to pictures. If Keshu is more beautiful that would be a shocker because she is very pretty in her pictures. She said she will bring some Zhongzi with her so we can eat if we get hungry, not sure what it is but i have an open mind when it comes to food.
...   ...    ...  Death! ... ... ... ... ...

Offline Iceland

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2013, 12:01:27 am »
She said she will bring some Zhongzi with her so we can eat if we get hungry, not sure what it is but i have an open mind when it comes to food.

Here you have information on what Zhongzi is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zongzi  ;)

Offline maxx

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2013, 12:05:42 am »
Jake good luck.And have a good time.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2013, 03:20:53 am »
Jake , so as to make it easy to spot u next time you are on QQ if you haven't already done so show her what you will be wearing off the plane , as it will be or should be T shirt type weather , I hope you enjoy Shanghai , with both the old and the new it is a vibrant town and just getting from the airport to downtown you will see just so many hirises  , have an enjoyable trip and relax only 11 days to go ha ha , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline shaun

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2013, 04:33:46 am »
Zongzi has a unique flavor.  I like it.  My wife makes it all of the time.  They soak rice overnight in water and spices.  Then they put it into the leaf along with a piece of pork and a mushroom.  Close it up and boil it for a couple of hours.  I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2013, 06:21:01 am »
If you are tatted up, I would suggest clothing that minimizes the amount of tattoos viewable to the public. Many people in China still relate tattoos to people that are either criminals and or members of the " Black Organization " Chinese mafia. Your lady may not say anything about them to you now, but do not be surprised if she asks you to cover them up while in public in China! If you do not have tattoos disregard the above!  Good Luck, Robertt

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2013, 06:52:51 am »
Good luck Jake, I married my wife on the second trip to China, As for the photos, My wife looked older than the photos from chnlove but now she looks younger every day . John.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2013, 06:56:53 pm »
6 trips around the globe, with plane changes on most of those trips, and my luggage has never gotten lost.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2013, 07:19:02 pm »
Just tell them you want tickets to where ever your bags are going! ;)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2013, 09:25:13 pm »
Lost baggage is always a fear that is why I always carry a few essential changes of clothes in my hand luggage.

I still do even though I have made more than 200 flights to and from more than 35 countries and never lost or even had my baggage delayed.

Willly
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,