Author Topic: My search  (Read 62734 times)

Offline JustJim

Re: My search
« Reply #240 on: December 06, 2013, 02:58:37 am »
Just got married!!!!

Now if you don't mind she says we have to go take a nap... ::)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #241 on: December 06, 2013, 05:45:18 am »
Hmm! Going for a nap.

Does that mean you have or about to consum.....? Consum.....? Consume your lunch?

Congratulations. Have a good rest your journey has just started.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #242 on: December 06, 2013, 07:01:44 am »
Congratulations
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline maxx

« Reply #243 on: December 06, 2013, 09:57:43 am »
congratulations

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #244 on: December 06, 2013, 10:25:44 am »
Congratulations! Now the crazy part starts!

Vince G

« Reply #245 on: December 06, 2013, 11:24:21 am »
Congratulations!  A fun nap?

Offline shaun

« Reply #246 on: December 06, 2013, 05:52:00 pm »
congratz!!!!!!

Don't take too long of a nap.  Just take them frequently.  :P

• Board Moderator
« Reply #247 on: December 06, 2013, 08:47:07 pm »
C'mon guys save your congratulations for a few more days. You know he aint going to surface just yet. ;D ;D ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #248 on: December 07, 2013, 08:24:25 am »
Yes Willy , we had better give him a week or 2 , to surface that is , GREAT news Jim congrats to you and yours from Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2013, 10:33:39 am »
Congrats!

Also, talk to my lady about places to go in that area to eat.  We went to 8 restaurants in Shunde during my time there (well, 6, we went to a couple twice).  I'm sure she can direct you to some nice places.
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2013, 01:49:42 am »
Six days since Jim hit us with the Nuptial News and he still has not surfaced yet.!

He must be having a really good long nap!

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline JustJim

« Reply #251 on: December 13, 2013, 10:23:10 pm »
You would think with all of that napping I would feel more rested.. ::) ::)

The first four days were great....lots of napping and we went to Hainan Island...which is being billed as the Hawaii of the East.  It is nice and the hotel we stayed at was beautiful - but expensive.

But then three days ago I woke up in the morning with a pinched nerve in the left side of my back.  Excruciating to say the least and I have been dealing with that since then.  Two more days at another place with less than forgiving beds, but Mei has been looking after me.  I know she is worried, but I had this about five years ago on the right side.  It gets better eventually.  It just takes a little time.

The other day she asked me if I was okay, and I said I was and then asked her if she was okay.  She said, verbatim, "Of course, I is a young woman."  I had to laugh at that one.  That is the first time she has called me an old man.

We might go to see a doctor today.  A shot of prednisone would really do the trick.  Mei brought it up but she seems a little hesitant about actually going.  Of course all I know is what I have heard about Chinese medical practice so maybe I am projecting my feelings on her.

Any advice about this one?

• Board Moderator
« Reply #252 on: December 13, 2013, 11:10:49 pm »
In the height of the summer heat I made the mistake of drinking too much coffee  and not enough water.  So I ended up going to the big hospital in the centre of the city.

The first thing they did was put me on drips that took three hours for them all to go through me.  Sat in a comfy beach chair in a room with about 100 other people all getting various drips.  I made a fuss until I saw babies and toddlers all going through the same process with less howling and screaming than I was making.  So on each visit so I gritted my teeth. It gave me time to think and to wonder why the nurses always positioned themself in front of me before also giving me a single shot into my ass! 8)

Each day for seven days I returned and the intrafusion as they called it got smaller and the length of time it took to get into my system become shorter. But after a couple of days things did get a little better each day.

Seven days later I was back to normal.  (Well as normal as I could ever be.) 

There was always a regular line of people waiting to go into the consulting rooms. Consulting room doors are usually left open, so if you have need to go to a hospital then make sure you close the door behind you otherwise you will find during the consultation that there will be dozens of eyes struggling to get a viewing position of a defrocked westerner from the open doorway.   

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline JustJim

« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2013, 08:23:25 am »
So my trip to the doctor to get a prednisone shot turned into a trip to a Chinese herbal "doctor." 

I have no problem with alternative medicines so I went along with the whole thing.  There wasn't much I could really do anyways.  I felt that to object would have been rude, and I felt that the pain was going away soon any ways - so either way it would work out.  I just didn't want to hurt for a whole 'nother week - which is why I wanted to go in the first place.

It was interesting.  Basically the waiting room was the examination room.  I didn't mind shucking my shirt in front of everyone but Mei made pains to cover my front.  The "doctor" - an older woman in plain clothes - massaged the area, put some sort of liquid on it and then attached to my back what can only be described as a very large tea bag.  I went around for the next two days smelling like fresh tea...

But I feel better now.  Whether it was the herbal concoction, or the fact that I wedged two of those travel pillows that they sell in the airports around my neck to lift my head and take the pressure off the nerve, who knows?  Mei took good care of me, let me rest, made sure I had plenty to eat, and hounded me not to use the internet too much, because that is what the doctor said.  I think that the last time that I did this I was hurting for longer, but I also was working and didn't rest it like I should.

It has turned cold here in Guangdong.  Cold and rainy.  Up to now I have been concerned that Mei would like New York, compared to here, where the weather is more like Florida weather.    But she loves the cold.  She just puts on another layer and she won't turn on the heat.  She asked me why if I was so used to a cold area why I was so cold here.  Well, it is 10 degrees Celsius today...  50 degrees F...and no that is not that cold but at home my house is heated inside.  It's not 50 F inside.  But here it is and she seems just fine with it.  I am not going to worry about that one any more.  When she is with me in the states she will probably be the one turning down the thermostat.

And I finally found a good baguette today.  Right now her daughter and I are stuffing our faces with a late night snack of bread and butter.  And orange juice, which for some reason they do not refrigerate here...   Of course I took pictures at the market, where they had more flavors of chicken feet than you can imagine, from regular to very spicy.  Mei shoved one in my face the other night and I took a bite, but I just don't get it.  It just seemed like all the stuff I would normally spit out.  All fat and gristle, no meat.

Anyway, my trip is half over and I do not want it to end.  I am starting to fill out all of the paperwork we will need, and getting all of the documents together.  In my next letter I will probably be complaining about serious writer's cramp.  I think I have a picture from the wedding dinner to share with all of you...

Offline ChinaBound

• guilin bound
« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2013, 12:30:26 pm »
       Jim,

If your looking for some stuff from back home to introduce them to try these places.

Groceries and Deli's-----  Taste /    Corners Deli

Gail's Place---  A terrific Philly cheesesteak  and great Sunday Breakfast brunches
Lucy's----   All around great food

Also when you see a Starbucks pick upa copy of  PRD (Pearl River Delta ) magazine has all the current stuff going on in Guangzhou    They are free at the stand

Ted