Author Topic: My search  (Read 62065 times)

Offline JustJim

Re: My search
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2013, 05:33:31 pm »
My cell phone will not work in China.  Other than that I am happy with my plan and carrier.

Are there any suggestions for what I can do just to have a phone on me for the two weeks that I am in China?

If nothing else I would like to be able to call Mei - like when I arrive at the airport, or to find out when she is picking me up at the hotel, or if we should happen to get separated.

By the way - She has Oct 1 to Oct 7 off because Oct 1 is their National Day and a lot of people have the whole week off. 

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2013, 07:51:55 pm »
I used the expensive method, Jim.  But, now... any time I go, I have a phone all ready to go.

I went to eBay and bought a cheap, unlocked phone.  I think I paid $70.  Then, I went to http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/simcard and got a cheap sim card for the phone.  Unfortunately for me, I'm a moron and got the wrong type of sim card, and it didn't fit my phone.  So, when I got to China, my girl took me to a store where I got one that did fit.  I bought an iPhone sim card, and she had an iPhone, so she was able to make use of the sim card.  Anyway, have them ship it to you.

Then, when you get to China, you will already have a working phone.  And if you make multiple trips, you'll have a phone already every time.  You only need it for short periods of time, and you aren't going to surf the internet or something like that.  You just need to talk and text.  So, a cheap Android phone is easy and best.  I like this also because, as soon as you get off the plane, you can talk to her.  If she is picking you up, you can work out where you are and where she needs to be much easier.
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline Chad

« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2013, 08:08:49 pm »
When I went to China I always rented a cell phone from Pandaphone. Look them up on the internet. http://www.pandaphone.com/ The price isn't to bad and they have always worked for me. They send it to you here and then you send it back to them when you return. The USA part is based out of Texas.

Offline JustJim

« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2013, 12:06:24 am »
Thanks for the input about the phones.  It looks like I have some options.

I was filling out my Visa form and I was wondering about something.

From my other readings I was under the impression that I had to have airline tickets and a hotel reservation to get a Visa.  Well, I do, but other than the line where I put when I am visiting and the line where it asks where I am staying I don't see anything like what I expected - which was proof of tickets and reservations...

I guess my impression was wrong?  Just don't want to miss anything...

thanks...

Offline JustJim

« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2013, 12:11:24 am »
ok - so it is not on the Visa itself but still has to be sent in - I found this in the instructions on VisaRite.

Offline JustJim

« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2013, 07:00:25 pm »
Still have not sent in my Visa application.  Just as well as they are requiring a new form come Sept 1st.

Been having a bit of difficulty with getting a confirmation of my hotel booking. 

Anyways, my question about the Visa is will I be able to get a 12 month multiple entry Visa the first time out?  I am asking for that.  If they won't approve that will they knock it down to something else - or will it get denied?

Thanks guys..

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2013, 07:36:38 pm »
Still have not sent in my Visa application.  Just as well as they are requiring a new form come Sept 1st.

Been having a bit of difficulty with getting a confirmation of my hotel booking. 

Anyways, my question about the Visa is will I be able to get a 12 month multiple entry Visa the first time out?  I am asking for that.  If they won't approve that will they knock it down to something else - or will it get denied?

Thanks guys..

Yes, I got a mulitiple entry visa.  My first time out of the USA (if you don't include Canada or Mexico, which I don't).  They are just the 51st and 52nd state!   :)

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2013, 07:38:01 pm »
If you are dealing with visarite then just tell them what you wish and what your second choice is.  They will make it happen. They will tell you that you cant get a 12 month VISA and if this is your first trip they are probably right. But ask for it anyway and tell them what is the minimum you will accept.

Call them or email them.

VisaRite Service
325 W 38th Street
Suite 1105
New York, NY 10018

Toll Free: (800) 361-7708
Tel: (646) 397-8728
Fax: (888) 781-8298

Email: service@visarite.com

Web: www.visarite.com
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:41:27 pm by Pineau »
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline shaun

« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2013, 08:04:41 pm »
I got a 12 month multiple entry the first time though visarite.

Offline LP

• Kinder fun doing something someone say impossible
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2013, 01:07:31 pm »
 One thing I can say is if you're filling out the old Visa application at this moment STOP NOW and use the new one,they will not accepted the old Visa application.Jim,is this your first time going to China?

A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than money. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2013, 10:05:17 pm »
Mine goes out tomorrow (visarite)

Offline JustJim

« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2013, 11:07:49 pm »
It is my first time going to China and I am filling out the new visa form.  Has anyone used A. Briggs?  I had a problem with the new form from VisaRite. 

I finally got an email confirmation of my hotel booking.  My gal had to go to the hotel to make that happen. She really came through.

One thing I am concerned about - I have my airplane tickets and my room confirmation but I keep seeing references to an invitation letter.  I was under the impression that this was not necessary if I have the tickets and the reservations.  Help me out with this.  I can get an invitation letter if I have to but I think that she even said that it was not necessary (the dating service she uses told her that)

Offline maxx

« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2013, 11:15:15 pm »
They are right you do not need a invitation letter.Just mark the form tourist.

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2013, 09:48:23 am »
You need only one of three things:

1) Plane tickets and hotel reservation.
2) Invitation letter
3) Tour information (if you booked a tour group)

Only one of the 3.  If you have tickets and reservation, you are golden.  That's all I had.

Offline JustJim

« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2013, 07:49:06 am »
I will get my Visa back soon.  I won't say anything about the service I used until I do get it back. 

Meanwhile, I have a simple question. 

Would I be able to buy an acoustic guitar in China?

I had planned to bring a small Taylor backpacker guitar with me but I did not like the sound and feel of it when I tried it in the store.  I do not want to bring any of my regular acoustics, because it would just be a worry.

So my next thought was about buying one there and just leaving it there.  Mei is planning on keeping her house there even if she comes to America.  If things work out between us I have a guitar waiting for me in China.  If things don't work out then an 8 year old winds up with a guitar.  Either way it seems like a win/win. 

I will be in the Guangdong area.   Very urban - I would think that music stores would be everywhere - but then I am thinking like an American...I don't know what it is really like there.