Author Topic: What other kind of work for a Westerner?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline shaun

What other kind of work for a Westerner?
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:15:00 pm »
We all know that there is the possibility to teach English in China.  But I'm wondering what else can one do to make a living in China?

I know Willy has his music business and there are others that do computer IT work.  I've looked at websites but really I draw a blank.

I've even thought about exporting products to America.  Finding a legitimate wholesaler hasn't been an easy task for me.  When I do find one they want me to buy 500 or 1000 or 5000 on one kind of product.  Who wants to do that to test a market?

How about throwing out some other possibilities and let's see what sticks to the website wall.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:17:28 pm by shaun »

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Re: What other kind of work for a Westerner?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:56:44 pm »
Shaun,
 Here is a list of jobs in Guangzhou!    http://jobs.echinacities.com/Guangzhou-jobs

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 05:18:24 am »
Our niece has two factories in Zhongshan. One manufactures and sells small items like incense burners and perfume bottles etc more for the arab market but would sell in the USA as you have a large populations of users there both in religious and hololistic contex.These are on Ali Express as Best Arts and Crafts 

She also has a factory building modern lamps and chandaliers.  You can find this one in Ali Express under 'Meerosee'

I will sound her out as to any possibilities there. 

The other way is to set your self up in an advisary business and source products for retailers large and small. Within the Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Zhongshan triangle they make many of the small items that sell in shops and all three places are easy to get to from any of the other of them.
Just being on the ground to check out companies on behalf foreign buyers is a big plus and you can always work on a commission basis. Many small business's  are frightened of losing money by dealing with China.  You can be the re-assuarance they need.

Willy

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:23:24 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 08:58:38 pm »
Willy,

I found AB Arts and Crafts and NOBELART on the site.  The consulting idea appeals to me.  I'll keep it in the back of my mind for now.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:34:55 am »
Just as an update. Most people here who have started business have done so before they actually arrived my music business was started the same way.  I have a friend here who produces a physical hard copy magazine from here and that as started before he arrived.

if you have an idea of what you could do online then start now before you get here as online businesses can work either from here or in your own country.

With the advent of Pay Pal being available in China in recent months then that will help to get income into China OK.  That opens up more possibilities as you could open online stores.  My utilising the fact that you are American or English and making sure that is in the publicity  then that will give people a lot more confidence when ordering from you. 

Plus using a photo of a 'foreigner' such as the one shown below certainly increased sales both online and in China as this one does.

Remember Chinese Middle class have a lot more to spend these days and they consider English and American products as being better quality and more stylish than ones with a Chinese label.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 07:15:25 pm »
Willy, why'd you paint Rob red?  haha

...as irresistible as chocolate

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:18:55 pm »
Willy, why'd you paint Rob red?  haha

It was not the painting red he objected to it was having the lamp stuck to his head!

Alas Robs interest in China has waned of late to a takeaway on a Friday night.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner