Author Topic: Patrick and Lisa - Our story  (Read 20699 times)

Offline IrishGuy65

Re: Patrick and Lisa - Our story
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 12:46:13 pm »
Been very busy, and will remain busy for the next several months...  so I just wanted to give a quick update.

Buying a house, and closing is the 21st of April.  Been running around like a madman getting things for my mortgage guy.   I'll be so happy when it's done!  April 27, Hongping will arrive here.  April 28, a quick wedding and the 28th and 29th I hope we can have most of the AoS and other forms completed or at least most of the information gathered.  April 30th I go back to work.

We have some work going on for the house before we move in.  My contractor is thinking 3 weeks to do it all.  I'm thinking more like 6.  I hope that we can be in by May 20 or so, so that we can have time to get things moved in and put away.  May 31 we are having friends and family over for our 'wedding day' at the new house.  All this, if things go the way they should... how often does that actually happen?
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 07:52:47 pm »
Uh..er.. Quick wedding on the 28th of April and a wedding day reception on May 31st. Is that right?
I dont think we can make it. We are going to miss the "real" wedding I think.
How certain are you of these dates?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:03:45 pm by Pineau »
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 09:33:05 am »
100% certain.  Robert told us the AoS is taking longer than it has in the past, I guess due to all the illegal aliens being allowed to legalize themselves...  So, we have to have the AOS done by Amy's 21st birthday in October... this is why we moved everything up.  We are still going to have a wedding ceremony in May...  Although the 'real' wedding is April 28 at the county courthouse, the wedding with friends and family will be May 31, which was originally the day we were planning on marrying.

On that note, Lisa wants to know if you are still coming in May.

Offline Pineau

• Board Moderator
    • Youtube
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 12:11:55 pm »
We will be there. Just need a time and address.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.

Offline Pineau

• Board Moderator
    • Youtube
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 05:41:34 pm »
Fiona is so excited. Today I booked the tickets and hotel so she is going to the BIG APPLE for a week. We will see you on the 31st. Just let us know when to show up.  Is the reception at your house?

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2014, 05:26:48 am »
Lisa and Amy are on their way.  Tracking their flight now, and they are over Canada at this time.  Just getting some things together, then going to head up to JFK Airport to pick them up.  I hope to get some pictures of the big moments and post a few for all of you.

Very excited.  Thanks to all for the help and support!

Offline JustJim

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2014, 06:12:35 pm »
Wow ! Great to hear about this Patrick.  By now you must be all hitched up and living in the new ( to you ) house?

Looking forward to seeing pictures.  How are they adjusting to everything?  I am sure that they will do fine.

Offline Smaug

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2014, 12:19:18 am »
Well, it's been 4 months. What happened?

Hopefully, you just temporarily forgot about this place because you're so blissfully happy and well-adjusted to one another.

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2014, 11:38:38 pm »
Everything is going well.  Time for bed now, but I will write up something in the near future.

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2014, 09:34:21 am »
On April 27, Lisa and Amy arrived in New York.  I picked them up and brought them home to their new apartment.  Their biggest excitement?  Seeing the blue sky.  Amazing how different the quality of air between Chinese cities and American :)  At that time, I still did not have a house.  The house I was going to buy fell through, as some foundation issues were found, and I wasn't going to pay the $10k-$15k to have the foundation repaired.  So, I continued to look at houses, now with Lisa and Amy, while we lived in a one bedroom apartment.  I could have upgraded to a two bedroom, but Amy said she was happy to sleep on the couch, and that the couch was more comfortable than her bed in China.  Considering that I felt like I was sleeping on bricks when I was in China, I can understand that sentiment.  We were outbid on our next choice, and the 2nd home we got under contract turned out to be infested with rats and termites...   The 3rd home we got under contract, I saw initially without Lisa and Amy.  When Lisa saw it, she immediately said it was no good.  Because the door opened in the middle of the bedroom wall.  She says the bed should be out of the way when you look into the bedroom.  So, the saying is "happy wife, happy life", right?  Finally, we found a nice place, 2200 square feet, for only $185,000.  There are several homes in this area for sale, the lowest after ours is $229,000.  So, we bought the house.  I believe it was August 8 that we closed.  3 1/2 months later. 

We have a lot of work to do on the house.  There was an old lady that lived here with two cats.  She smoked... a LOT.  We had to change the carpets and paint the walls and ceiling to get rid of the smoke and cat odors.  Many other things still need to be done.  It will take us a few years, then once the house is up to par, we'll remodel the kitchen and bathrooms.   I'll post up pictures next week.  Lisa has already started digging up the ground for a garden, even though there are roots everywhere from a maple that used to be there.  So, the house is great, and we are happy with it... finally!

Amy started school at Delaware Technical Institute, taking English classes to improve her English sufficiently to pass the TOEFL and start her college education.  He English is not bad, but she needs to work on her actual use of English.  She talks to friends and family back in China daily, and Lisa and Amy often talk in Mandarin at home, so she doesn't get the practice hearing, and speaking, English that she needs.  Plus, she really needs to improve her vocabulary so that she can understand the information she will get in college classes.  Worse, for her, is she has decided she wants to get into pediatric nursing... which has a vast vocabulary all its own, and which I will not be able to help her with.  She started the last week in August, and is doing well so far.  She's made a couple of friends, one of which is another Chinese girl whose parents recently moved to the USA.... so again, more speaking Mandarin and not enough practice in English...

As for the relationship.  It started out great.  We were all very happy to be together.  I would come home from work and almost get tackled because Lisa was happy to see me.  We talked about a lot of things, and learned a lot more about each other.  Now that we have the house, we are tired... me from work and fixing things around the house, and Lisa from her gardening and taking care of all the household chores.  Plus, she passed the written drivers test and we are looking for a car for her to start practicing for the road test.  (I'm scared!)  And she's also doing work looking for a job, now that she has her EAC and SSN.  She wants to teach Chinese here, and there are many opportunities.  But, she has to get a teaching certificate, which will be a little more difficult. 

There are problems, just like in any relationship.  But, for the most part, we have good communication and love to get us through it all.  The differences between who I talked to every day on video chat and the lady I met in China, and who Lisa is here, are many.  The mundane existence is something I guess we never really think about, and it is a constant culture clash.  A lot of work.  Is it worth it?  I think, for us, it most definitely is worth it.  For those thinking about this step, I have to admit I think I'm a pretty good planner and I am usually good at thinking ahead and seeing the future... but there is a lot I didn't think about and account for, even with everyone here helping, opinions, and stories.  I believe I rushed this too much (we knew each other just over a year) because there are just so many little culture differences.  I should have taken more time spending with her in a mundane, day to day existence so that we could get a better feel for each other and make adjustments before having her leave everything she knew to come here and be with me.  Note that we are happy together, and we are working things out... but all the added pressures for her being here... new, alone, in a completely different culture and environment... really make things more complicated and harder for her.  I worry about her daily, even though she says she is fine and happy.  I believe once she is working, and she has her driver's license she will be better.  My biggest issue is that I work so much that I don't get to spend enough time with them... so I have started to take a day off every few weeks, so we can start doing some more things together.  My brother and sister in law want to take them to Philadelphia, to see all the historic sites there.  I think they will enjoy that very much.  They also LOVE the farmer's markets, but unfortunately they are only open on weekends, and I work weekends.  So the days off I'm taking are usually Saturdays so we can visit the farmer's markets and do other things they like to do.

Overall, a lot of ups and downs... fortunately, many more ups than downs.  And, we know each other better every day.  Amy is happy with her school, and she talks every day about her day and has some fun story about her day just about every day.  She's such a happy girl!  Lisa and I have a good relationship, and I can see it getting even better every day.  I'm very happy and lucky.

I'll post some pictures soon...  hopefully, the radishes, lettuce, and carrots Lisa planted will get harvested soon, so I can post some pictures of those also.   ;D

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2014, 09:35:30 am »
I'll also try to post a little more often now that things are settling down from the move and house maintenance.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:23 pm »
Congrats on the new home! Hopefully everything will settle down enough where you can come hang out with us here! :)

Offline Pineau

• Board Moderator
    • Youtube
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2014, 11:16:14 pm »
Patrick, here are a few to get you started. I have some of you and Lisa too but I was afraid to post them. The glare from you snow white legs could put someones eyes out.

Arnold

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2014, 01:13:17 am »
Yes... Congrats on the NEW (used) house Pat. Doing stuff is never done on a house, even a new one. It does make it a "Home" eventually and both of you can look back with pride what was accomplished as a Family. Been there.. done that.. myself.

Thanks for sharing your Story with us!

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2014, 09:58:48 am »
Gerry, I saw the pictures in another thread.  You have to understand I'm of Irish descent.  I'm either white, or red.  There is no 'tan'.  Since red hurts, I prefer to stay white.  Plus, it is fun telling Lisa and Amy how dark they are!  :)

Robert, I'll be around a little more now.

Arnold, yes, a lot of work, but something to take pride in, now and in the future.  The good thing is that we have a plan for the house that we both agree on.

I did forget to mention the homesickness and fighting.  I mention them together because we've only yelled at each other one time, and part of it was just her homesickness and my American stubborness and impatience... combined together to form an explosive combination.  Fortunately, it was quickly over as neither of us likes to argue or fight.  It's good that we normally can talk through things, even if we need to make a lot of use of the 24 hour rule.  Neither of us like to yell and scream, nor are either of us emotional fighters... so we get along well and really have a good system in place to work out issues.  As I said before, so many little things you overlook in day to day life, that are completely different simply due to our culture and upbringing differences.  Once you get over the hump of the many, many tiny little things, you start understanding each other much better and you can get to the point where you are happy together and not discussing some new issues every day.  Just living, and enjoying, life together.