Author Topic: The Interview and Beyond  (Read 2862 times)

Offline kevster4355

The Interview and Beyond
« on: September 05, 2013, 10:56:12 am »
Hello all,

I don't post here much, but thought I'd give an update to my situation. We just had our interview at the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou on 8/19/13. Still waiting for the actual visa to arrive. It was rather uneventful. Lasted all of 5 minutes. We were scheduled for 9:30 AM and she was out by 10. She was only asked a few questions; How we met, how long we have known each other, how we communicate. Interview was done in Chinese. She speaks little English. Her 17 year old son, who is also coming to the U.S., was not asked anything. He was very happy about that as he was very nervous. He tries not to show it, I am learning. He hides behind his smile and "Yes, I know." He said, "Only hello, thank you, goodbye, ha ha."

It took 14 hours to fly Detroit to Shanghai, and due to weather, 14 hours to fly Shanghai to Guangzhou. Had to land elsewhere, and sit. My wife could not get any info at the airport about what had happened to our flight. Answer she typically got was "not my job." The medical center in Beijing that does exams (closer to her home) said they could not give results in less than a month, so we arrived in Guangzhou 5 days early. Had the medical exam and innoculations there in Guangzhou. They gave us the required documents the same day. A friend of a friend hooked us up with Victory the Residence Hotel. I believe it is an apartment building, but they rented us a place for a week. $47 U.S. a night. Full kitchen, balcony, living room, 2 beds. One queen size bed in a loft upstairs. Nice. Much larger than hotel/motel rooms. The landlord even walked us the 3 blocks to the Consulate and showed us the appropriate line to get in. I tried to book a room at a place suggested by RoberttS, but, as I am learning, my wife is the boss. And she will take advice from a Chinese person over an American anytime, ha ha.

We prepared our own documents, mostly. I did have some very good help from RoberttS. He pointed out a few mistakes and helped me to understand everything that was needed, prepared some doc's for us. Thanks Robert. Any Yanks need help or advice, I'd highly recommend Robert (issoga.com). He's knowledgeable, affordable, and competent. Judging by the length of my wife's interview, everything must have been in good order. We had emailed our documents to NVC. We had plenty of photos together and with family from both of my previous trips, with date stamps. Wedding photos. We had receipts from all the places that we visited, ate, etc. Boarding passes. We included excerpts from QQ chats with screen snapshots. I gave her my passport to take in to the interview. The only thing the interview officer wanted to see in the package we brought was the new I-864 and my tax returns. One thing I will say, bring some sun screen! It was hot, hot, hot. And humid. It's been rather cool at home. I didn't think about that. Finally found some sun screen in a cosmetics store.

When we returned to my wife's home in Shenyang, the family treated me like their long lost brother. Really a great bunch of people. My wife and I had a few misunderstandings, due to the electronic translator. Not that you guys don't already know this, but learn Mandarin! Learn it well. There were a couple times when I thought our relationship was in real trouble. The translator that we originally used at ChinaLove (Leona) has become a good friend of ours. We visited her, her husband, and their new baby at their home. She was instrumental in smoothing out the bumps. I don't know how the rest of you "fix" these misunderstandings, but Leona has been indispensable to us. Leona also enlightened me that a Chinese woman will react quite harshly to perceived shortcomings in my character, but she will always love me and do what is best for the relationship, after a day or two, ha ha. I have found this to be true.

I guess they don't get a lot of foreigners in Shenyang. I got a lot of stares. We went  to the square in the city center at night. An 8 year old boy that was quite fluent in English stopped me to practice his English. Soon, there was a crowd of 40 or 50 around us. The Chinese seem quite curious about foreigners, there lifestyle. I also saw this when we went to visit Dalian. People on the train would come over and ask questions; where do you live, what is your job, how many children do you have, do you drive a Lincoln? (really). Also saw this around town in Dalian. Quite unnerving at first. But all were quite friendly. Wish I could walk around our American cities at night. 

Now we wait for the visa and passport. Now, the adventure begins in earnest.

Kevin

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
Re: The Interview and Beyond
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:23:13 am »
Congratulations! Its not over yet.

BTW....Do you have the address of the consulate office where the interviews are given?  We are scheduled for an interview in two weeks and don't have the address yet.
And did you get an appointment letter about the medical exam or just walk in on your own?
RoberttS????
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:47:54 pm by Pineau »
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Arnold

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:26:52 am »
mmmmh... I know what you mean about walking at night anywhere here in the US.

14 hours for a 2 hour flight.. wow? Just what ones needs after having made one simular just before.

Thanks for the up-date, we appreciate it very much Kevin. Hope the "Visa/Visa's" are soon in hand.

Offline shaun

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:33:12 am »
Good news and yes Robert knows his stuff.

Offline maxx

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:04:53 pm »
Kevin great update.I'm a little confused.You said your wife had her interview on Aug 19.But she hasn't received her visa and passport yet.I'm curios why.When I did this a long time ago.If the lady was approved.You hung out in GZ for about 3 days After the interview.Then you went to the special post office and picked up the visa along with the passport.Has this changed in the last few years? Or did you choose to have the Chinese post office mail it to you and your wife.

I'm just curios if they have changed the procedures.Congratulations and good luck in the future.

Offline kevster4355

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 08:51:41 pm »
Pineau
I attached a map of the entrance to the consulate courtesy of RoberttS, a fellow member here.
As for the medical exam, my wife scheduled it with the office in Guangzhou.

Maxx
I thought as you that we would pick up the visa in a few days. I was not inside at the interview. My wife said it had to be mailed to an "official" location, in our case, a bank in Shenyang. They said it would take a few days to a month. I'm guessing a month.

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:15:21 pm »
Great to hear, Kevin.

RoberttS is helping Lisa and I with our fiancee visa... I should say, he is doing all the work :)

Gerry, Lisa also knows the address in Guangzhou, she can give it to Fiona when they see each other or talk on the phone.  Just make sure Fiona doesn't have Lisa take her there... there is a good chance of getting lost!
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline maxx

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 11:20:49 pm »
Kevin thank you again for the update.And the information on.How they are doing the visas now.Good luck and best wishes.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 08:48:57 am »
Thanks for the Map. It is very helpful.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline kevster4355

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 11:56:57 pm »
Maxx,
Now that I think about it, my wife probably had them mail the visa because we had already been in GZ a week. She wanted to get home, not hang around a few more days.

Offline kevster4355

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 04:29:30 pm »
Maxx,
FYI
I talked to my wife yesterday about the passport being mailed. She said it is now the policy of the Consulate to mail passports to an "official location." In our case, China Citic Bank Shenyang. She said she did not have the option to wait a few days and pick it up in GZ.

Interview was on 8/19/13. Received email from Consulate on 8/31/13 saying that passport had been shipped. Passport arrived a few days later, so a little more than 2 weeks after the interview to receive the passport.

Offline maxx

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 06:36:46 pm »
Kevin thank you for the update.Back when Me and my wife did this.You just hung around GZ for a couple of days.Then you went to the special post office.And picked up the passport with the visa attached.If I remember correctly.You were also given the medical results.In the form of a little booklet.

Then when we adjusted my wife status.she had to have another medical exam.And a couple of more shots.Then we had to send it all to immigration.Then go to Albuquerque a couple of times for a couple of questions.To get the permanent green card.Then it was finally done.