Author Topic: Quick phone question.  (Read 1224 times)

Offline fivetrout

Quick phone question.
« on: September 23, 2013, 05:42:21 pm »
I am taking my galaxy3 work issued phone with me tomorrow. I need to stay out of hot water with the company...a given! So what is needed for me? I have google translate on the phone but can only translate text without the internet. Will just a Chinese sims card do the trick for the GT app? And can I call and text back to the states?

Offline maxx

Re: Quick phone question.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 12:38:55 am »
yes get the sims card.If somebody calls you from the states.And you haven't switched the sims card.It still isn't a problem.You can talk and text.But you can't make any calls untill the sim card has ben changed.

Offline IrishGuy65

Re: Quick phone question.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 04:08:05 pm »
The phone needs to be unlocked to use the sim card.  Otherwise, you are going to have to pay massive roaming charges with your current carrier, if you can use the phone at all.  Personally, since you are leaving so soon, I would get a cheap phone and cheap sim card while there in China just for use in China... unless you are planning on making many calls. 

As for translation services, there are translating machines that can translate the spoken word for you.  Since my lady speaks very good English, I didn't have the need for translation, so I'm not very familiar with any of the products.  I'm sure there are people here that can give you more information about apps for your phone or a good machine to do the job, if that's the way you want to go.
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.