Author Topic: Wife traveling back to China  (Read 2150 times)

Offline zook144

Wife traveling back to China
« on: September 23, 2013, 11:26:54 pm »
Hello Everyone.  It's been awhile since I posted, but I now have a question. My wife wants to go back to China to visit family. It will be 2 years  in January since she came to The U.S. She has her 2 year Green Card, drivers license, and Chinese passport. My question is...Does she need any other documents to leave and then re-enter the  U.S? I am sure this is covered on the forum somewhere,   I haven't found it. I also looked on the USCIS website , but it wasn't clear to me if they were talking about the 2 year greencard or the one that comes after that.
Any help appreciated. Thanks
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Re: Wife traveling back to China
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 11:42:41 pm »
zook,

Check the expiration date on her 2 year green card and see if she is within the 90 day window for removing conditions. If she is in the 90 day window I would postpone her trip until you have filed the I-751 form to remove conditions on her green card and received the NOA1/ Receipt letter. Once she receives the receipt letter she can use it in conjunction with her existing greencard to re-enter the US after her visit to China. If she leaves the US and her card expires before she returns they can refuse to allow her entry back into the country.  The receipt letter for the I-751 extends her status for 12 months while her application is being reviewed. Another option is to make an infopass at your local immigration office and have her passport stamped when she receives the NOA1 just in case she happens to lose the letter while abroad. Here is the link you can research for more info.  http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=4ca43a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=4ca43a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Regards, Robert

Offline maxx

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 12:35:35 am »
Zook what Robert posted is right on the money. Check how long she has left on her green card.If it is more then 90 days.Yes she is good to go.If not. Do like Robert said.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 05:44:13 am »
You know sometimes I wish I was American just to be able to use the very knowledgeable advice that Robertt gives out. ::)

Willy
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:32:57 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:50:06 am »
Jing made a trip back to China before adjustment of status and receipt of green card.
I dont know what the document number, but it is called advanced parole.
I got that for her and it allowed her one time exit and re-entry into the USA.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline shaun

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:33:09 am »
 I think Robert would be willing to help you through the paperwork to become adopted in the US Willy!   ;D  They you could legally carry a gun around like the rest of us.

Offline zook144

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 12:52:26 pm »
thanks everyone.  she has been here about 2 years but she just received her green card in May or June I believe. so it does not expire until 2015.

From what you were saying I guess she is good to go and does not need any more documents. she will be gone January and February return first part of March.
Don
The Journey Is The Destination