Author Topic: Mail to China  (Read 4216 times)

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
Mail to China
« on: October 20, 2013, 11:35:32 am »
I need to know information on sending parcels to China.
(I sent post letter a few years back. Jing said it took 3 weeks)

Couple years back, as I recall, when the NVC sent documents to Guangzhou by post mail, it took like 3 months to clear China Customs.
Now I have question, I have sent, via USPS, a small parcel with the required U.S. Customs Declaration attached. 6 weeks ago. Inquiry indicates it left LosAngeles that time. Disappeared.
I am thinking long wait. 

So, I ask, what are the experiences you have if you have sent anything larger than a letter to China?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:27:51 pm by JohnB »

Offline shaun

Re: Mail to China
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:43:03 pm »
John I sent information to my wife for her interview that took 70 days in a Priority Mail envelope.   It arrived 1 week after the interview.  But 2 weeks before the interview I sent a Priority Box, 12"X12"X6".  In it I put the papers and some items I knew she would like to have.  It took exactly 10 days.

I always have better luck with the Priority box.  It seems no one questions it.  It cost more but...

Offline JC

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 01:40:46 pm »
Thank you, nice info on the box,

I have had the same experience but never saw the connection with the box vs envelope.

I also had them pull an I Phone; and had to pay the tariff, pretty steep.

James
At Home, At Play, it is not allays my way.   It works better that way.

Offline JC

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 02:44:13 pm »
Just one other thought,

Since the tracking service stops when it leaves the US, (for my mail that is Miami) if you use the the "Global Express Guaranteed" then even though the package is delivered, though most certainly late, they will refund the postage, about $90.00 whereas using just the "Priority" they do not.

So even though the package costs double the price the chances of it getting there within the guarantee is slim.  I do not think this is underhanded as it is their policy, and because of all the headache caused.

Anyway, I have gotten postage refunds but the package has never failed to show-up, even if stuck in customs.

James
At Home, At Play, it is not allays my way.   It works better that way.

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 07:47:39 pm »
I've sent 3 packages to Lisa in Guangdong province.  The first I sent through the postal service... it took 25 days.  The next two I sent through FedEx.  Took 14 and 12 days.  All had some things of value, and most took a lot of time going through customs.  But the FedEx packages both had someone from FedEx call Lisa, and tell her she needed to fill out a form online for them about importing... can't remember what it was exactly.  Only a few days after filling it out online was the package cleared and another day for her to receive the package.

So... I strongly recommend FedEx.  It is MUCH more expensive, but worth the price, IMO.
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 07:49:58 pm »
Whenever I have actually received items in China it has always been delivered by Fedex or DHL. The China postal service is so unreliable especially for letters where they are often left hanging out of communial blocks of postboxes.

As Patrick says couriers cost a lot but they do deliver and faster than anything through postal service.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 08:14:56 pm »
The priority box is much like a fedex package.  They call her the day before and arrange a delivery time and a much lower price.  I'm not trying to poo on FedEx because I am not a U.S. Post Office fan at all but I am all about saving money when it is worth it.  My mail either goes to Guangzhou or Shaoguan both in the Guangdong province.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:17:20 pm by shaun »

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 09:47:34 pm »
The priority box is much like a fedex package.  They call her the day before and arrange a delivery time and a much lower price.  I'm not trying to poo on FedEx because I am not a U.S. Post Office fan at all but I am all about saving money when it is worth it.  My mail either goes to Guangzhou or Shaoguan both in the Guangdong province.

I think you misunderstand.  They do more than set up a delivery time.  They take care of the customs paperwork.  That's generally the hold up with other services.  There is paperwork involved in anything more than paper... It's a lot of waiting and nothing happens.  But FedEx gets that stuff taken care of.  Trust me, it's worth the money, unless you don't care about the time, the possibility of things being lost, etc. etc.  I don't have any problems with the post office in the USA, but shipping something more than a letter or some papers... FedEx takes care of a lot that cheaper alternatives do not... from my experience.

Basically, it doesn't sit around as long as FedEx is proactive in getting their packages cleared through customs, and therefore there is much less chance of something happening to your package.
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline shaun

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 04:13:18 am »
I don't want to argue but there isn't any difference except price and is an affordable alternative.  Customs paperwork is one small 3"X5" card.(approximate size)  Over the years I've sent several boxes this way.  It has always been 10 days each time.

So, FedEx or Priority mail are two options one might use to send paperwork.

I've not used DHL but am wanting to try it.  They've just opened back up in my area.  Does anyone have any experience with them?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:48:52 am by shaun »

Vince G

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:36 am »
FedEx or Priority mail? "The priority box is much like a fedex package."

More then you know? It's not a secret but not shouted to loud either.. When US mail (USPS) goes international, Fed Ex carries it. So that FedEx and Priority mail are on the same plane going where ever. DHL I haven't used since before they regrouped. This is when they stopped the local (state to state) deliv. and only do international. I don't know what paperwork they have the ladies making out? Customs paperwork is done by the sender? Maybe it is a way they have proof of the receiver?

Offline shaun

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 11:37:01 am »
My wife has never complained about doing paperwork.  I think she only signs for the package.  I think it is all done stateside.  I imagine that if the package differs from the original manifest that she would need to do a new one on her end.   I'm sure the government opens and inspects all packages.  I know China Post inspects.  They do it every time I ship to the US from China.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 09:22:13 pm »
I have had a few lost parcels but I have found that if you put an extra $500 in insurance on them they make it there for sure and quickly.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Arnold

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 01:46:23 pm »
I don't know if Cities have anything to do with getting lousy or good service, but at the beginning we send Flat-rate Box of stuff and they always arrived in about 10-12 days time. We also put Insurance on them each time for what it's worth.
The last couple, I use one of our Boxes and Qing writes the address in both Chinese and English on them.. took same 10-12 days. Now though, the last one.. there was over $1,000 worth of clothes in the box and we Insured it equally. The trouble with that one, the Chinese Post Office opened it and called Qing's brother and told him... he owes $50 import tax before they give it free. So to overcome this, brother asks to keep the price of items never more than $300. That forces us to keep the insurance low too.. otherwise it smells fishy. That's OK on my side, we just go with brothers wishes. He'll take the chance, especially looking to buy $1,000+ leather jackets and such.

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 11:17:23 am »
Thanks everyone. Now I understand the way to ship.
USPS, Priority Mail Express Flat Rate.
Address in Chinese. Add phone # adjacent to address.

USPS way cheaper than FedX. I tried FedX on- line only to discover deliveries are not available
to all cities. I did not attempt UPS inquiry. I think UPS probably much the better of the two
private carriers with overseas deliveries from the States.

Offline shaun

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 11:37:39 am »
John, be sure to used the priority box rather that the envelope.  I've not had good luck with the envelope; just the box.