Author Topic: I-130  (Read 2636 times)

Offline fivetrout

I-130
« on: October 20, 2013, 12:42:30 pm »
I was looking at the I-130 form , US visa request last night for the first time. It seems straight forward and reasonable. Are there any hidden pitfalls or areas I should be concerned with? I know many here will stress the importance of hiring a lawyer, but other than coaching Hong, it doesn't appear to difficult or confusing in my regard if I summit exactly what is required. I'm hoping other forms I will find the same.

One question I do have: On the application forms...do I use her new married name or her previous name? I'm thinking her family name whereas that's where information will be aligned.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Offline shaun

Re: I-130
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:44:31 pm »
Use her previous name.  China does not recognize the husband surname even with a Chinese husband.

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 02:09:00 pm »
Wife's CHINA surname never changes. As Shaun indicates.
The I-130 problem for me was item# C2, C15, C20. I entered 'see attachment' for the long China addresses.
C20 requirement is for entry in 'native' alphabet. Chinese. Had to download Japanese fonts in addition to
whatever China fonts I had to make a go of it.

Offline maxx

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 02:46:08 pm »
Contact Robert S or a immigration lawyer.Do not try to do this on your own.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:39:58 pm »
Similar Question about names.
Fiona has her green card and Katie's will probably arrive in the next 10 days.

They want to change their Chinese names to English and take my sir-name.

Any problems in getting the green card, social security, etc. changes also?

Robertt?
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 07:48:47 pm »
Contact Robert S or a immigration lawyer.Do not try to do this on your own.

+1.   RoberttS is great.  At the very least, contact him and talk with him.
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 09:54:19 pm »
I was looking at the I-130 form , US visa request last night for the first time. It seems straight forward and reasonable. Are there any hidden pitfalls or areas I should be concerned with? I know many here will stress the importance of hiring a lawyer, but other than coaching Hong, it doesn't appear to difficult or confusing in my regard if I summit exactly what is required. I'm hoping other forms I will find the same.

One question I do have: On the application forms...do I use her new married name or her previous name? I'm thinking her family name whereas that's where information will be aligned.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Chris,

My wife kept her family name after we married. There is a couple of reasons that this works better for the immigration process.

Reason # 1.  If your wife takes your name as soon as you two marry, then she has to apply for a new passport and have a lot of documents changed before you even start the immigration process.

Reason # 2. She will most likely be in China 9-12 months after the marriage, so any name changes or documents marital status changes can cause problems for your wife insurance/pension wise. Sometimes local officials will drop Chinese citizens from government programs, schools, and/or pension programs if they discover she is married to a foreigner and planning to immigrate to the West.

But to answer your question you would use her married surname on Line 1 Part C, and her family name on Line 7 if she takes your name after marriage.
If she keeps her name after marriage, she would use her family name/maiden name on Line 1 Part C, and list her married name on Line 7 IF she has used that name at anytime before or after the marriage. If she has not used your last name at all and has no other names or aliases, then you can just write her maiden name  line 7.

The people at the consulate know it is very common for Chinese women to retain their family name so her not taking your name will not cause problems with the immigration part of the equation.  You can change her name at no cost after she arrives here and applies for her 10 year card.

Another reason to keep her maiden name is so she can collect her pension in China! If she takes your name and immigrates she will most likely lose it, but if she keeps her Chinese name and bank account she can have it direct deposited monthly to her account in China. Granted it is not much but it adds up over a few years and will pay some of the expenses while you guys are visiting China on future trips.

Regards, Robertt

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 10:46:31 pm »
Similar Question about names.
Fiona has her green card and Katie's will probably arrive in the next 10 days.

They want to change their Chinese names to English and take my sir-name.

Any problems in getting the green card, social security, etc. changes also?

Robertt?

If Fiona only has a 2 year card you can change the name when you file the Removal of Conditions, if she already has her 10 year card she will have to file an I-90 form to have her name changed and a new greencard issued with new name. The I-90 takes about 6-months to process and costs $450 dollars. After she receives the new greencard she can take the greencard and her marriage license to the DMV and SSA to have her DL and SSN card changed to her new name. She will to update her passport also to reflect the name change or book her international flights under her name on her old passport.
As far as the daughter taking your surname, this will require a legal adoption by you before this can take place. China is not a party to the Hague convention but the United States is so here is a link for you to review when you have time.  http://travel.state.gov/abduction/country/country_5956.html

I gave you this link because it has plenty of information and contact links for you concerning your situation with the daughter and what rights her father can claim if he objects to the adoption/name change.

Regards, Robertt
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:51:41 pm by robertt S »

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 11:25:40 pm »
Thank you Robbertt S. I can see you have the knowledge for others to succeed. I hope that I can burden you with further questions as they arise? I think you have a website, yes?

Chris and Hong

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 01:11:20 am »
Thank you Robbertt S. I can see you have the knowledge for others to succeed. I hope that I can burden you with further questions as they arise? I think you have a website, yes?

Chris and Hong
Everyone should have Robertt website etched in their mind. Even I as an English man have that.

USA Immigration Assistance... www.issoga.com

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,