Author Topic: Chinese Medical Insurance  (Read 2852 times)

Offline shaun

Chinese Medical Insurance
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:49:08 pm »
Just when I think I understand most things about my wife and China, here comes another quandry for me.

It appears that Peggy might need some surgery in the immediate future.  A doctor she saw in a hospital in Guangzhou told her that she needed a CT Scan to confirm his diagnosis then there would be surgery.  The cost of the CT Scan in Guangzhou is about 2500rmb.

But she is from Shaoguan and she has medical insurance there which will not work in Guangzhou.  I don't understand that one but...  OK, backwards but OK.  It seems to me that she needs to go back to Shaoguan then.

She called the hospital in Shaoguan and they said the cost of a CT Scan would be about 1500rmb.  With medical insurance between 200rmb and 300rmb.  Much better.

BUT..... since she has personal insurance and not an employers insurance she will need to pay for the potential surgery and the CT Scan in advance, even before insurance will pay a penny.  It comes to 4000rmb.  They are telling her that she will be reimbursed for the money she does not use after insurance pays and if she does not need the surgical procedure she will be reimbursed that too.

This is so foreign to my way of thinking that I am smelling a scam from the hospital.  Can anyone with experience enlighten me?

Offline maxx

Re: Chinese Medical Insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:29:49 pm »
Shaun Yes that's how it works in China.You pay as you go.That way the doctor or the hospital doesn't get stuck with the bill.If the insurance company decides not to pay.Or go's out of business.There is little or no recouping your money.If the insurance company go's out of business.

We had to take are oldest to the hospital in China. Everytime they needed to give him a breathing treatment.Or a antibiotic.One of us had to run up to the cashier.And fork over more money.We have insurance on the kids in the U.S..But it doesn't mean anything in China.

Offline shaun

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 07:54:45 pm »
I can understand pay as you go.  I don't understand paying before a confirmation of diagnosis.  She has to pay for the surgery before the CT Scan.  That just doesn't make sense to me.  1500rmb OK but 4000rmb?

Offline maxx

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:50:42 pm »
They want all the money up front.Wether your wife needs the surgery or not.She is going to have the surgery.your missing the point Shaun money,money,money.Your thinking in western terms.This is not the west.This is China.And greed and power drive China.If your wife can wait.I think I would tell her to wait till after she arrives in America.Then put her on your insurance.And get it done here.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 02:18:29 am »
A lot of the dentists in Canada do things that way.  Pay up front and wait to be reimbursed by the dental plan.  My daughter's teeth cost me $2000 up front.  We were a young family at the time and it was hard to come up with that much cash.

That said, does immigration know about your wife's medical problem?  Could be one of the reasons she was denied.  Just a thought.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline shaun

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 04:14:10 am »
OK thanks.   A little dose of reality helps.  Neil the answer is no but thanks for thinking that way.  :)

There are a few doctors in America that are doing that now.  I went to a sports medicine doctor and they pulled that crap on me.  I walked out and went to another doctor.

Offline shaun

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:15 pm »
I don't understand $#_(&^(@ and she is pissed.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 08:48:45 pm »
Some of that amount could be the surgeon's bribe to ensure he shows up on operation day and performs the surgery! ???

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 02:06:55 am »
These are the reasons that I like to be close to Hong Kong. Better facilities there and English spoken by the Doctors.

Plus it is only 12 hours from there to London where the National Health Service, (a bit like Obamacare but without the arguments), will take care of all your needs for free.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 04:03:10 am »
I would gladly bring my wife here to experience American medical care.  Even Obama care. (I can't believe I said that.)   My issue is that I don't understand what is going to happen.  It appears that it doesn't matter what happens they want 4000rmb up front and she can't explain what happen.  She can't explain if there will be more money needed if surgery is necessary and she can't explain how much will be reimbursed from insurance.

Secondly they have convinced her that at her age that she needs a full body CT scan and I am of the opinion that she only needs what is necessary.  Try to explain THAT to a Chinese woman.  Try to explain how harmful xrays can be to the human body.  If they are convinced a full body scan is what they need then that is what they want, period.  Right now she considers me cheap and non-caring about her health.

I am still frustrated by all of this.

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 11:05:05 am »
Realities can be problematic at all the wrong times. I only think of Gerry's past China experiences & what his 'today's thoughts' may be, of what he would do instead...his thinking back on it. I have seen enough of Chinese hospitals exteriors to understand they are not exactly 'state- of- the- art- medical facilities', yet Gerry seems to have managed his survival quite well!
The thing is, Jing has great health insurance in America..not China; as likewise, myself. When I do the Willy thing, I guess all planned procedures will be via travel from Hong Kong to Seattle/ Coeur d'Alene, but what in case of emergencies? I guess I will buy the domestic insurance while there, and Willy has mentioned Hong Kong medical facilities qualities. So, what problems may be associated with China insurance, coverage, locale, anything with that?

Offline shaun

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 11:35:33 am »
I think I finally understand what some of the main issues are.

My frustration is that I understand so little about the Chinese medical procedures and my wife doesn't understand America men and their motivations.

While I am wondering what all she will get for 4000rmb she is interpreting that as me not wanting to pay and bail out on the relationship.  The thought never crossed my mind.  She is looking from her own perspective from a previous marriage and many of her friends like her and it appears that I am acting like the stereotypical Chinese male.  Me on the other hand am worried about what kind of services and if the tests show surgery is in the future what that will cost.   I'm willing to pay I just want to know what for and what she gets for it.

Jim I do think your question about Chinese insurance, coverage, locale... is an excellent question.  I hope Gerry and if there are others that they would reply.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »
Just a reminder for the USA people, that the affordable health care act dictates that we must all have insurance by the beginning of the year.  The actual deadline is December 23rd so I am told.

That also applies to your immigrant wives.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:36:08 pm by Pineau »
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline shaun

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 09:10:55 pm »
I guess this does not apply if she isn't an immigrant yet? She could be but the American Government has seen to many delays so they are out how much ever her cost for health care will be.

Offline shaun

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 04:48:34 am »
I would love to put my wife on my insurance but she needs a green card.