Author Topic: working in China  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
working in China
« on: November 03, 2013, 01:45:18 am »
I thought I should put some feelers out, in case immigration gets off their asses and denies us. 

What do you guys think is a good course of action in finding a job in China or somewhere in Asia?  I'd prefer to not teach English, but depending on the situation, I can't completely count it out either.  I'm a certified Industrial Electrician, so I'd love to find something in my field.  There seems to be plenty of work available in oil and gas, especially offshore, but I don't have any experience.  I'm more experienced in industrial automation and controls. 

I didn't want to limit myself to China.  Maybe, if I found a decent job in an Asian country, immigration might be easier than it is in Canada.  I could probably find an oil field job in Canada that would make it easier to spend off time in China, and give me some experience I could use. 

I had a look for work abroad companies online but it didn't really narrow anything down for me.  There's lots of tourism jobs, management jobs and of course teaching.

I really don't want to leave my job here.  I have 21 years seniority and 8 years in the Electrical department.  Not to mention a house.  I like it here and I don't want to leave, but I don't know how much longer we'll have to wait. 

P.S.  I always wanted to travel to New Zealand.  Seems like a beautiful country.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline ChinaBound

• guilin bound
Re: working in China
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:15:59 am »
         Neil,

Here are some online sites that might help as they have more than teaching jobs available.

Indeed
 LinkedIn

Classified Post
 ALS  Hong Kong
 Micheal Page

Good Luck

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: working in China
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:28:24 am »

Neil,

Maybe Hong Kong is the answer for you Neil. English is widely spoken in business there and with all the major projects they have in hand then someone with your qualifications may be what they need. Plus your wife could join you in Hong Kong for long periods at a time.

Phillip who was in Hong Kong for 2 years  but now in mainland China can tell you more about a wifes stay in Hong Kong.

I have a couple of friends from Hong Kong I will ask them about the work situation there for foreigners - especially for you line of work.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,