Author Topic: New can of worms!  (Read 3057 times)

Offline fivetrout

New can of worms!
« on: November 08, 2013, 01:46:53 pm »
As many here have read in my past posts. My father-in-law is day to day and this has been going on for weeks now. My wife Hong and her mother have grieved for some time and I believe have come to terms with the inevitable. So today, I suggest when that time comes... mother go spend time at our "married" home in Weihai for a change, and to sort things out and find herself. What I got back from Hong was..."mother and I live with you my husband"  YIKES!  If I understand correctly, in the US I cannot sponsor a in-law and that Hong would have to become a citizen to sponsor her mother. Is that correct? How does one cleverly and tactfully circumvent this mountain? Mother does have two sons with families near to her. I understand and feel for the entire family, but...........

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Re: New can of worms!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 03:25:51 pm »
You are right. Your wife will have to become a citizen and then petition her mother. The earliest possible date would be 3 years from the date she receives her greencard for your wife to naturalize. The only feasible options until then are visitor visas for mamasan!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:05:55 pm »
Of course your mother in law wants to be close to her daughter so that she can mooch around with your future babies, as they arrive, on her back!

Chinese people do not leave their parents to fend for themself. My father in law spends the Winter months with us here in the relative warmth of Zhongshan and the other 8 months divided between his other two daughters.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:38:20 pm »
Now your scaring me Willy! Future babies?

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 08:45:45 pm »
Now your scaring me Willy! Future babies?

Well your wife is certainly young enough. (And you look young enough, well without the beard you do. :P)  My wife, who is 50 has only just passed that risk in recent months! So only time will tell. ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:58:16 am »
Mike...sneaky thinking.......lol :D :D
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 11:39:09 pm »
An update! Well my father-in-law has passed. For two grueling weeks he'd be better one day and worst the next. The emotional roller coaster played havoc with Hong and our relationship. She was hot and cold with me every other day. I had to speak very carefully.

Today she tells me...my name is also included on the grave stone as a surviving family member. That warms my heart. I guess the important family members like me?

Offline LP

• Kinder fun doing something someone say impossible
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 12:12:16 am »
Sorry to hear that.My lady sister  husband passed too from cancer.He was the bread winner it the house for her sister.I asked my lady what her sister going to do now she don't know..
A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than money. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

Offline shaun

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 06:09:59 pm »
Sadness.