Author Topic: Part 2 of Travel Restrictions  (Read 1111 times)

Offline 2hip

• Red Wabbit
Part 2 of Travel Restrictions
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:19:13 pm »
Thanks to members responses i understand how to inform the Woman of her questions. Her parents are getting on in the years.  Here is the next couple of questions that are directly linked to Robert's excellent tutorial on how the system operates in USA.

1.  When the AOS is submitted with Advanced Parole and employment document...a time period elapses when you are in limbo waiting for the temporary green card to be secured.  Generally speaking, what amount of time are we speaking of...weeks, months, or a full year?

2.  Once the temporary green card is secured is she permitted to travel outside of the USA without any legal jeopardy? 

thanks

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Re: Part 2 of Travel Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »
Thanks to members responses i understand how to inform the Woman of her questions. Her parents are getting on in the years.  Here is the next couple of questions that are directly linked to Robert's excellent tutorial on how the system operates in USA.

1.  When the AOS is submitted with Advanced Parole and employment document...a time period elapses when you are in limbo waiting for the temporary green card to be secured.  Generally speaking, what amount of time are we speaking of...weeks, months, or a full year?

2.  Once the temporary green card is secured is she permitted to travel outside of the USA without any legal jeopardy? 

thanks

Question #1.  Currently, it is taking about 4 months for the I-485 to be approved, but the I-765 and I-131 are generally approved within 90 days after USCIS receives the AOS package. So she would be stuck here about 3 months before she could travel or work, since the I-485 is currently taking 120 days it would be better to wait the extra 30 days if possible to avoid any possible problems with re-entry.

Question #2. Yes, she can come and go as she pleases. The only time that leaving the country may present a problem is when she applies for the 10 year card. The reason being is that she may be required to go to an interview before the 10 year card is approved. I usually tell people that traveling in the first few months of the ROC process is okay, but you will need to keep track of current ROC processing times and try to limit travels or be prepared to return quickly to the USA for the last 3 months of the ROC process. She will have no problems traveling though during this time even if her 2 year card expires because the receipt notice for the I-751 form extends the validity of her 2 year green card for 12 months to allow time for USCIS to process the I-751 Removal of Conditions (ROC ) application. The only thing she needs to remember is that she is required to spend more time in the US than other countries.

Offline 2hip

• Red Wabbit
Re: Part 2 of Travel Restrictions
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:56:48 am »
Robert, thanks amigo!  That really helps to put all of the this in a proper frame of understanding.  Can't thank you enough and it well written..concise..thanks again