Author Topic: Tenacity or What?  (Read 834 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Tenacity or What?
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:54:22 pm »
Friends of mine set out on a cycle trek last week.  One is Irish and one is English.

They intend to ride their bicycles the 5000 odd kilometers from Zhongshan up to the north where China meets the old Soviet borders. They have planned for 60 days to complete the journey.  Thats like 50 miles or more a day!

One is a professional photographer and will be taking 'snaps' along the route.

I just hope that the chamois padded lycra does its work well!

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline maxx

Re: Tenacity or What?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:27:48 pm »
That is cool.50 miles a day sound like a lot of miles. It really isn't you can cover that in a little over four hours, On a bicycle So they should have plenty of time to take pictures enjoy the sites. My thing would be getting on that bike day after day after day. I hope they aren't stuck to that time schedule. Because things happen. And there is going to be days when you won't make the 50 miles.And there will be days where you won't be able to make yourself get on that bike.

I wish them the best of luck and a good ride. Willy if they make a book I want to order one. If they decide to write a book let me know. I will sell it for them. 

Back in the mid 1970s a guy and his wife walked across America. It took them 3 or 4 years. They would stop and work for 3 or 4 months at a time. Then start walking again. They wrote  2 books made a lot of money. So I guess it was worth it. There was another guy who rode horses across Mongolia. It took him about 7 years. He would stop and hang out in a village for months at a time. Last time I heard he was going to do it again. I guess that is what you call a extreme holiday

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: Tenacity or What?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:02:34 pm »
It is not far when you are thinking about it but in reality!!!  Mind you when the peloton was all working together then we could do that in less than 2 hours.

I remember my first long solo run when I was 15 years of age, 125 miles from south of London to my sisters in Norfolk.  Left home at 6am and arrived at her house 13 hours later.  Then 7 days later did the reverse journey home.  Obviously no cell phones or any other method of communications and I cannot even remember if I had a outfit to mend any punctures, luckily I never had one.

No lightweight bicycles in them days, steel and heavy and sturdy but it was classed as a racing bike and the only gearing was a Sturmey Archer 3 speed none of that modern 10 gears, plus, used nowadays but I was hooked on cycling from then on.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,