Author Topic: Irish Chinese traditional fusion music  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
Irish Chinese traditional fusion music
« on: June 08, 2009, 02:49:51 pm »
Saw these linked to on an Irish forum, I just love Chinese traditional music and with an Irish twist that's just great. They are apparently coming to Ireland this summer so I hope to check out a show.
Have a look at their myspace page, has music on there too, very nice - www.myspace.com/thexiansi
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Paul Todd

RE: Irish Chinese traditional fusion music
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 05:19:53 pm »
I saw the Chieftains  playing live with a Chinese traditional folk band back in the 70's, it wasn't planed but they where on the same day at a festival, and they all just ended up playing together.  The Chinese guy's looked a little freaked out by it to start with when unplanned , the Chieftains, who had obviously sunk a few pints shambled on to the stage. The Irish fiddles and the bodhran really worked well with the Chinese folk tunes. Soon the Chinese musician's where loving it.
Another odd mix that works is from a south London dub reggae bass player  called Jah Wobble. His new project, Chinese Dub,is a 22-piece Anglo-Chinese band that combines his trademark dub reggae with Chinese melodies and instrumentation. Hard to describe but it does fit together very well! The album is called "Chinese Dub" Here's more info about it:-  www.myspace.com/jahwobble

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:15:18 pm »
Thanks Paul, that sounds fascinating, will listen to when I get home.
I'll be in Beijing this August with my lady and shes a music lover too so hoping to go to a couple of concerts, really looking forward to that.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 04:34:51 pm »
I'm a fan of alternative and new rock and punk, heavy sh*t.  I skipped this post because I was sure I wouldn't like the music.  

Man, was I mistaken.  That's beautiful!  Thank you Ronan.  I think I might buy the cd for my parents.
...as irresistible as chocolate