Author Topic: 2 Chinese killed in Vietnam riots  (Read 10739 times)

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
2 Chinese killed in Vietnam riots
« on: May 15, 2014, 10:30:56 pm »
At least two Chinese workers were killed and more than 100 injured in escalating anti-China riots and protests in Vietnam.
Hundreds of Chinese factories operating in the country were either destroyed by rioters or forced to close.
Beijing said the rioting and protests had been staged “with the indulgence and connivance” of the Vietnamese government.
Foreign Minister Wang Yi “strongly condemned” the violence, and lodged a protest against the Vietnamese government.
In a telephone call to Vietnamese Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh on Thursday night, Wang said Hanoi bore unshirkable responsibility for the riots against Chinese businesses in Vietnam.
He urged Vietnam to take effective measures to end the violence, severely punish the criminals and compensate the Chinese enterprises and individuals for their losses.
Many of the factories were operated by businesses from the Chinese mainland, Taiwan and Singapore.
Xinhua reported that at least two Chinese workers were confirmed dead, but there were fears that many more Chinese nationals may have been killed.
A doctor at a hospital in the central Vietnamese province of Ha Tinh told Reuters that 16 Chinese and five Vietnamese workers were killed on Wednesday.
A high-ranking official at China 19th Metallurgical Corp said: “By our count, the hospital has received 75 Chinese nationals. Dozens of Chinese were sent to another provincial hospital.”
His company was one of the worst-hit on Wednesday among the Chinese enterprises operating in Vietnam.
A steel mill in Ha Tinh province owned by Formosa Plastics from Taiwan was destroyed.
Local official Dang Quoc Khanh said one male Chinese worker was killed in the chaos and at least 149 people injured, Vietnam Television reported, adding that police had arrested 76 people.
Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a news briefing in Beijing on Thursday that the violence targeting Chinese had “a direct link with the Vietnamese government’s indulgence and connivance in recent days toward domestic anti-China forces and lawbreakers”.
The attacks against Chinese businesses erupted after anti-China protests and after Vietnamese ships repeatedly harassed drilling operations by a Chinese oil company in waters off China’s Zhongjian Island in the South China Sea, according to media reports.
Qu Xing, president of the China Institute of International Studies, said the root cause of the latest turmoil was media campaigns backed by the Vietnamese government that fanned anti-China sentiments.
“Hanoi even sent reporters to the forefront of maritime confrontations at the oil rig. Even worse, the Vietnamese government has not taken measures to stop the violence. It will pay a price for this,” Qu said.
Cambodian immigration police said 600 Chinese had crossed into the country through the border with southern Vietnam on Wednesday, The Associated Press reported.
At Ho Chi Minh City airport, Chinese were arriving in large groups on Wednesday, queuing to grab tickets or get on the first flights to Malaysia, Cambodia, Singapore, Taiwan and the Chinese mainland.
Singapore, Vietnam’s second-largest investor after Japan, called on Hanoi to take urgent action before the security situation worsened and investor confidence was undermined.
Jonathan London, a professor at City University of Hong Kong, was quoted by Agence France-Presse as saying the rioting showed the hazards of nationalist fervor being unleashed.
The unrest was also hurting the country’s reputation as a safe investment destination, an Associated Press report said.
Vietnamese Minister of Planning and Investment Bui Quang Vinh said 400 factories had been damaged.
“The investment image that we have been building over the past 20 years is turning very ugly,” the state-run Labor newspaper quoted him as saying.
Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung told police on Thursday that anyone involved in violence should be punished severely, but peaceful protests over the past few days had been “legitimate”.
Li Guoqiang, deputy director of the Center for Chinese Borderland History and Geography at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, said Vietnam had long been gripped by nationalistic sentiment and the government’s “irrational moves have posed a serious threat to regional stability”.
“Hijacking public opinion will only make things worse and sabotage mutual trust with China”, Li said.
Wu Shicun, president of the National Institute for South China Sea Studies, described Vietnam as a “troublemaker”, saying it had intensified provocation recently against China.
China had exercised restraint to the largest extent and Vietnam should never expect Beijing to trade territorial sovereignty for short-term peace, Wu said.
Reuters and AFP contributed to this story.
 zhangyunbi@chinadaily.com.cn

Hopefully they will get everything sorted out without too much loss of life on either side.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
Re: 2 Chinese killed in Vietnam riots
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 11:05:19 pm »
All the countries in the South China Sea are getting tired of China flexing its muscles in territorial disputes. China takes what it wants...I suspect that this is the outcome of frustrations.

Offline maxx

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 01:57:59 am »
I think Martin is right. Everybody is getting tired of the bully flexing his muscle. I think Vietnam could of handled it better. Because of Vietnams actions over the last couple of days. They have probably damaged there economy enough that it will take another ten years to get back where they were before. Nobody wants to invest there money in a country where wars and riots break out. it's just bad business unless you are a arms dealer. Then it is good.

Just my 2 cents on this.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 05:01:04 am »
I think Martin is right. Everybody is getting tired of the bully flexing his muscle. 

Just do not get me started on muscle flexing by big powerful countries.  They end up walking away with their tails between their legs and leave absolute chaos in their path.

As for Vietnam it could be years before they recover from this latest furore. The Chinese factory and business owners have been coming back by the plane loads, many declaring they will not go back.  Can the Vietnam people  take over - of they cannot as they are smashing everything up. So what was made in Vietnam will now return to be made in China.

Willy
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:06:12 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline maxx

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 12:25:05 pm »
Willy we won't talk about super powers leaving death and destruction in it's wake. It would just be country bashing. And we would have to have a go at each other again. ;D

In my own opinion, No Vietnam can't take over the companies from the original investors. Because of the destruction. And the lack of money to invest in the companies. The companies probably will go to Laos, or Cambodia. I can't see them going back to China. Because of the rising inflation in China. And China is trying to clean it's act up. As far as the environment is concerned.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 10:02:35 pm »

In my own opinion, No Vietnam can't take over the companies from the original investors. Because of the destruction. And the lack of money to invest in the companies. The companies probably will go to Laos, or Cambodia. I can't see them going back to China. Because of the rising inflation in China. And China is trying to clean it's act up. As far as the environment is concerned.
With the rising of the standard of living in many parts of China then even the Chinese need other countries to supply their needs at the lowest possible price so you are probably right.  The emphasis here is to make it a home driven economy  rather than export led.  That is what is going to give it the largest economy in the world bar none. There was talk of it overcoming the USA last quarter but that may have been a blip but it will come in a year or two.

With a greater economy comes the power that goes with it.  That is when the real international power struggle will arise and the muscle flexing on both sides will have to stop.

In the five years or so that I have been here I have seen young families go from having a bike to electric bike to motor scooter to car. Unlike their parents and grand parents who saved every penny the new younger Chinese are spending and spending.  They are visualising that the current trend will continue and that work prospects will thrive in a more home driven economy.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 12:16:56 am »
thousands of years of competing national interests do have a habit of flaring up at times. the China
annexing of the whole of the S. China Sea basin does piss off it's neighbors; besides, it would be interesting
to see where this goes as the 'freedom - of- the- seas' is threatening to world energy trade.
http://www.eia.gov/todayhttp://www.ajot.com/news/chinas-actions-in-sea-disputes-straining-u.s.-ties-u.s.-officialinenergy/detail.cfm?id=10671

adaptability is good. timing is paramount.
I am thinking the amount of Western Union money transfers to Viet Nam.
VietNam agricultural economy is evolving (#2 world's coffee producer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_coffee_production
& a diversified manufacturing base lends to economic stabilty.

Offline maxx

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 02:00:17 am »
Willy I have seen it to. When I started traveling to China in 2006.They were walking to the bus stop. Or on there bikes. Living in a one room run down shacks. Now they have new Toyotas, Buicks BMW .I have even seen some full size hummvies if you can imagine that in China. And the houses have ben upgraded. The problem with all of this is no one wants to go back to the farm. The price of food has more then trippeled  in China since 2006.So like you said if they keep spending and moving to the cities. They are going to be in a bad way here in a few years. There has always been rice shortages in China. They cant grow enough of it to feed the huge population. It's kind of like Russia trying to grow grain. crops get wiped out about every other year.

Willy are the Chinese still building ghost cities? I haven't heard anything in a year so I'm just curios. If they are that's got to be taking a huge chunk out of the profits. Along with the slow down of production of the cars and trucks. Because there isn't enough buyers anymore.

John there is nothing wrong with a little revolution now and again. But Vietnam has been at it for over 3,000 years. The longest they have had peace has been since about 1977.When the communist wiped out the last of the resistance. They all starved to death until the mid 80s.When some outside investments started coming in. Now they will be back starving. And dying way to young from malnutrition and some tropical disease.

The only thing Vietnam has to export is hardwoods. But since everybody is down on cutting down the forests now. It is hard to find any buyers. To sell enough to make a difference. Back in the 20 and thirties there used to be huge coconut and banana plantation through out Vietnam. But when the French were run out in the fifties. It all went to hell. Because nobody had any money to keep them operating. And nobody would invest because of the revolutions going on.

If Vietnam has coffee that is good. But do they have enough money to make a go of it. Coffee beans are at a premium price right now. Especially with all the premium blends. That people are willing to drop allot of money on just for a cup of coffee. and is it enough to make a go of. And they are going to need something else because this coffee thing is just a passing fad.

Here is a good example. Thailand is probably the largest exporter of rice in southeast Asia. There main buyers are China and Japan. There second biggest money maker is tourism. There tourism money used to run in the billions. It doesn't anymore because they are always trying to overthrow one crocked government after another. It got so bad they were setting of bombs in Bangcock. They shut down the airports in Bangcock  and Pattaya. For a week costing them millions of tourist dollars. And they are at it again. so the only good it is doing is the polititions making the false promises.

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 02:23:28 am »
"The longest they have had peace has been since about 1977"...
China invaded VietNam in 1979. Vietnamese were in Cambodia in the '80's, kicking
the shit out of PolPot & his bastards (did the world a favor; however, Cambodia was a China
client state).
As far as the French went, still the influence in culture & biz throughout the war. Had the opportunity to see
the Michellin Rubber from the treetops in 1967
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Rubber_Plantation
kind of funny in a way, saw quite a few Texaco & Shell stations on the main routes. I suppose a generous tax base existed by day,
and by night.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:37:35 am by JohnB »

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 02:41:33 am »
Not to worry Maxx with California farmers spending billions of dollars on water to grow crops to send to China then our table will be full.  Well mine at least. ;D  There is enough money to import ones needs.

In the past 5 years our niece has had to nearly double the wages she pays to the top workers.  Other factory owners have had to follow suit.

The increase in available money means that there is more to spend and therefore more needs to be produced for the home market and so on.  It is how countries like the USA developed to the position it is now in.  A hundred and fifteen years ago there were more really poor people in the USA than those who had well paid jobs.

One hundred years made a difference to USA so just think what 100 years will do for New China. 

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline maxx

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 02:51:30 am »
Sorry John I had forgot about China invading Vietnam. And Po Pot. There is a special place in hell for that bastard. And his minnions to. Do's Michellin still get there rubber from Vietnam? I know goodyear used to have a couple of plants outside of Bangcock. I don't know if there still there.

What was your M.O.S. I used to work with a couple of door gunners. and a couple of grunts in Colo Springs. They all did at least two tours. One guy was on his third when they shipped him home. Then booted him out at 19 and half years in the late 80s. I don't know why. And he would never say.

in New Mexico I worked with a swift boat motor man. And a grunt who's second tour was in military intelligence. He did some lurps and was part of the hearts and minds campaign.

Offline maxx

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 03:21:03 am »
Willy I hope the best for China. All the numbers and the wise guys say China is looking at the biggest economy slump not seen since the great depression. I don't know if there right or wrong. I hope they are wrong but it doesn't look like it. With the ghost cities and the slump in the world economy. And the rising unemployment in China it doesn't look good from where I'm sitting. If you are a industrial country. That can't make a attempt to feed it's own people. Without massive imports. It is a reciepe for disaster

They have shaved back the crops in California. And the rest of the state is on fire because of the bad drought and the water management issues. If the rains do return it will be a couple of years before the crops return to where they were before the drought.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 05:19:31 am »
As a coffee freak, I must advise you that Vietnam is now the World's biggest supplier of coffee beans...

But....Vietnam conditions only permit them to grow the "Arabica" coffee variety which can only be used for conversion to cheaper "Instant" coffees.

The World's premium coffees (used for high-end grinds and the best brands) can only be made from "Robusta" beans...and they still come from S. America and other places besides Vietnam.

The VERY best coffee comes from Jamaica, it is the Jamaica Blue Mountain Brand and retails at over $4000 per pound...if you can get it !!!!

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 10:25:40 am »
But....Vietnam conditions only permit them to grow the "Arabica" coffee variety which can only be used for conversion to cheaper "Instant" coffees.
The World's premium coffees (used for high-end grinds and the best brands) can only be made from "Robusta" beans...and they still come from S. America

DavidE,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coffee_varieties
Coffee from the species Coffea arabica are considered to have richer flavor than Coffea robusta.
"intent" counts...goes without saying, you are exactly correct!
 I don't think much about it, because my coffee is no further than an arm's length away.

I had thought the colonies into the tea thing, I mean 'culture'.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:54:52 am by JohnB »