All About China > Understanding Chinese Women

Some little-known Information

(1/4) > >>

David E:
I realise this hread is for assistance in wading through the multitude of requirements of the Aus Imigration Service, but I thought it useful for potential partners of Chinese wives to give a little insight on some of the lesser known quirks you will find as you go through this journey.

It is not an exhaustive list, but is a chronicle of what I have found after now being married to Ming for nearly 3 years.....

The good news is that, over time you will get used to them, the bad news is that if you want to change any of them she will smile sweetly, pat you on the head...and do nothing.... ;D ;D

1) At least 3 pairs of slippers WILL be placed at any door inside your home, This is likely to extend to 5 or 6 pirs beside the front door. Remember, for a Chinese person, if your bare or stockinged feet touch the 
    floor...you will die.

2) Various bits of dangly stuff will appear all over the house, they are mainly red in colour and signify the protection you will get for enough food, enough health and enough money, they can be on doors, plants,
    bed-heads, mirrors...anywhere.

3) At the slightest hint of rain, wet washing will appear in many places inside your home, if rain falls on washing outside it will be ruined and you will die.

4) There is NO translation from English to Chinese of the words "I am not really hungry, I just want a snack" ALL meals will be full-blown monster productions with snacks taken at hourly intervals between meals.
    Snacks are only marginally smaller than full meals.

5) Any left-overs from meals will be kept in the fridge because waste is not allowed. If these remnants begin to glow in the dark, or exit the fridge unassisted, then and only then can they be grudgingly fed to the
    dog/cat/parrot.

6) Pets are a waste of time unless they can be eaten. There is no justification to give a pet any more than half a teaspoon of old rice per day.

7) All horizontal surfaces in your home MUST be covered with something....table cloth, old magazines, adverts, bowls of fruit and nuts, purses, bags and the like.

8) Electricity, Water and gas are magical things that appear from holes in the wall and can be used with gay abandon......turning the oven on high heats the kitchen better than the air-conditioning...showers MUST
    take at least 40 minutes.....if you are not squeaky clean...you will die.

9) If you dont get at least 15 phone calls and 25 SMS texts per day, there is something badly wrong with your social circle.

10) All items purchased at the Supermarket will be scrutinised microscopically for flaws, expect to stand around like a shag on a rock whilst this embarasing process is played out, and pretend you are looking for
     your wife (who is NOT the one digging to the bottom of the huge pile of oranges looking for the best ones.)

Well, that's the first 10, I will post some more as they come to mind, but right now I need a cold beer and a lie-down !!!

Robertt S:
David E, my wife shares many of those traits also and a few more that really pushes the economizing envelope to the extreme. Sometimes when I am busy working on something around the house and have to travel between 2 rooms for my work/repairs, my wife follows 2 steps behind me turning off lights and inquiring if I have big bank to pay the electric company with. Another thing she does is really entertaining to watch, if she notices the sky darkening she will ask me if it is going to rain. If there is a storm either nearby or just starting she will go outside in the rain to wash the car because she does not want to use metered water to wash it. ???   I have told her that rainstorms are not the ideal conditions to be outside scrubbing large metallic objects so now she waits until the lightning stops before venturing outside. I really love her frugal traits but some I believe are a little excessive though. :)

maxx:
Guys it do's get better given a little time say 20 years :P  it do's get a little better. The shoe thing will slack off. There will still be a huge amount of slippers by the door. But they will go unused The light thing won't. Clothes will be worn until they are see through. And the snacks and eating thing doesn't stop. Saving the plastic bags. And the orange and apple peels doesn't stop they are to be added to other food latter.

Willy The Londoner:

--- Quote from: maxx on May 19, 2014, 12:31:42 am ---Guys it do's get better given a little time say 20 years :P  it do's get a little better. The shoe thing will slack off. There will still be a huge amount of slippers by the door. But they will go unused The light thing won't. Clothes will be worn until they are see through. And the snacks and eating thing doesn't stop. Saving the plastic bags. And the orange and apple peels doesn't stop they are to be added to other food latter.

--- End quote ---

Your right Maxx and that is when they have lived outside of China for so long. Living here and intending to do so for ever I can never see me getting to change everything.  So I am becoming more Chinesied father than my wife getting more westernised! 

Can you imagine what happened when I was stupid and extravagant enough to throw orange peel into the rubbish bin?

Willy

fivetrout:
Haha...the one mentioned that hit home with me was the squeaky clean. Hong had me (us) shower about three times a day. She would wash me from head to toe, not once but three times. After each wash and(cavity cleaning) the water would be made hotter for the rinse to the point of the water being almost unbearable.
Another is the happy, lucky, protective red thingys. They are on the front door, on walls, and on the windows with vinyl signage squeegeed on. And then there's the red ribbons on things like doorhandles and key-chains. With the bathroon always being wet from the combo shower, laundry, sink and such, water proof and slip proof slippers are to be worn. Thank god there's a real toilet...but it's always wet.

chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version