Author Topic: Swine Flu  (Read 8998 times)

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
RE: Swine Flu
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2009, 04:28:23 pm »
I have actually been to the Zoo twice. Once because I wanted to see the Panda's and the second time because Qingqing wanted to see the Dolphin show. (Not much at all by the way)  But I love to watch the Panda's.
I had not thought about getting Angel a "Panda Suit".  Send me a pic Arnold. hehe
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Arnold

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2009, 04:46:14 pm »
JIm , I'll see if I can upload it , it's not in our regular pjg format . It's was send with a chinese version "taotec" and is with a zippered attachment .

Funny , I see the zippered attachment on my Picture page , but going through the Browse part , it is not showing at all . None of my zippered photo's are there , to upload ? Need to figure it out .
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 04:51:00 pm by Arnold »

Vince G

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2009, 09:37:17 pm »
Arnold send them to me. I'll PM you

Quote from: 'Arnold' pid='9131' dateline='1248036374'

JIm , I'll see if I can upload it , it's not in our regular pjg format . It's was send with a chinese version "taotec" and is with a zippered attachment .

Funny , I see the zippered attachment on my Picture page , but going through the Browse part , it is not showing at all . None of my zippered photo's are there , to upload ? Need to figure it out .

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2009, 12:12:54 pm »
Thanks Arnold and Jim, if |i get half that stuff done I'll be happy. Between Beijing ,Tianjin, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Langkawi this trip is is going to be non stop and huge fun.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Tiztom

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2009, 12:43:55 pm »
Quote from: 'Arnold' pid='9131' dateline='1248036374'

If you can download it into "paint" do it and put a tiny mark on the page, then you can save it as J peg, easiest way I've found to change a pictures format but my computer skills are not good.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2009, 04:08:42 pm »
Quebec finds first, Japan finds second cases of Tamiflu-resistant swine flu
Provided by: Canadian Press
Written by: Helen Branswell, THE CANADIAN PRESS
Jul. 22, 2009

TORONTO - Canada has recorded a case of Tamiflu-resistant swine flu virus, in a Quebec man who had been given the drug to prevent infection.

Meanwhile, Japan revealed Tuesday it had found a second such case of Tamiflu resistance, in a person who has no ties to the country's earlier reported case.

The cases are the fourth and fifth globally since the new H1N1 virus was discovered in April.

The Quebec man, 60, was given the flu antiviral after his son fell ill with the pandemic virus. It's believed the resistance arose in the man and there is no evidence he transmitted resistant virus to anyone else.

"It appears to be an isolated case," said Jirina Vlk, spokesperson for the Public Health Agency of Canada.

"Although the strain does not appear to have spread beyond the reported individual case we continue to be vigilant on this front."

Use of Tamiflu to prevent infection - a procedure called prophylaxis - has been seen on occasion to give rise to resistant viruses.

"We know that it was going to happen and it's not good news that it's happening," said Dr. Allison McGeer, an influenza expert at Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital.

But she said given the amount of Tamiflu being used in the world right now, such cases are bound to arise.

"It's the problem with influenza, right? Either we're going to see small numbers of these and they're just going to kind of appear periodically and we're all going to worry or it's going to go big," McGeer said.

"There's probably not going to be much in between."

Another such case cropped up in Japan, in the city of Yamaguchi. Japan's National Institute of Infectious Diseases logged genetic sequence data for the virus on Tuesday in Genbank, a repository for genetic sequences used by flu researchers.

The lab's director, Dr. Masato Tashiro, confirmed the case in an email containing details provided to the World Health Organization.

The new case was a person who had been given the antiviral drug as post-exposure prophylaxis - an attempt to prevent illness in a person exposed to the pandemic virus.

The person has since recovered, and it appears that there has been no spread, the email stated. The virus was sensitive to Relenza, a second drug in the same class as Tamiflu.

The earlier Japanese case had occurred in a person in the city of Osaka.

Other cases have been reported by Denmark and Hong Kong. Four of the five cases arose in people who had been taking the drug.

One, however, was recorded in a girl from San Francisco who travelled while sick to Hong Kong. Health inspectors at the airport there pulled her aside and tested her for swine flu.

She was positive, but told doctors there she hadn't taken Tamiflu. That suggests the virus that caused her infection was already resistant. U.S. officials have intensified surveillance for resistant viruses in the San Francisco area but say they have not found other cases.

The Public Health Agency says the Quebec man recovered from his bout of swine flu without complications and never needed hospitalization.

Vlk said the agency recommends using Tamiflu for treatment only, adding prudent use of the drug could stave off the development of resistance.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

David5o

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2009, 02:46:11 pm »
That last paragraph, is exactly what was said on the BBC news by a top professor today. He also stated that Tamiflu has shown little or no benifit as a preventative treatment. They have another anti-viral drug that has some success in prevention of swine flu, i didn't catch the name though....

David....

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2009, 11:40:41 pm »
Well guys a new outbreak of swine flu hit a major American campus: SAN FRANCISCO, California (AFP) – Some 2,000 students at Washington State University have reported symptoms of swine flu, university officials said, in one of the largest reported outbreaks of the virus on a US college campus.

Also this past week an Australian visiting Calgary died from the swine flu. He was here for the World trade skills competion. Authorities think he already had the virus before arriving.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

ClanceTer

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2009, 01:43:33 am »
It'll yield added than a flu bug to accumulate me abroad from China this summer, its absolutely over absorbed to my mind.
Wild horses wouldn't angle abundant of a adventitious appear to anticipate of it either