Author Topic: Swine Flu  (Read 8996 times)

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
Swine Flu
« on: June 09, 2009, 02:23:58 pm »
My Lady is constantly asking me about our Swine Flu problem here.  She asks if it is near me, etc.  I keep telling her that I have not heard of a new case in over 3 weeks.  Apparently in China, at least in Beijing she says they are saying it is an epidemic here in the states.  She keeps saying that she is concerned both for my health and for my itinerary.
 There have been over 20 new cases reported all over Beijing alone. The reason she knows is that she is a Surgical nurse in a hospital there.  She believes that there are a lot more cases not being reported.  So if anyone is going to Beijing or for that matter anywhere in China, It is advisable to take all precautions.  While just 20 + cases in over millions of people is not a lot, it is something to take note of.  And for one wiley canuck there now keep your head down and mask on.  I was going to say something like a true smart a$$ and tell you a mask may not be a bad idea anyway, but decided against it.

Has anyone heard anything else about this?  I know that a few weeks ago when I renewed my visa, they had cut out the overnight and quick return because of it.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline dumbo

RE: Swine Flu
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:50:53 pm »
My girlfriend in Beijing is also worried. She jokingly said she is going to lock me up in the bedroom when I come to Beijing. I am not concerned about swine flu. Being in the life insurance business, I know approximately 36,000 a year die from influenza each year in the USA.  During the 1990's the death rate averaged from 17,000 to 52,000. Swine flu will not change these statistics that much. The best protection is watch what you eat, exercise and wash hands frequently.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 02:59:01 pm »
It'll take more than a flu bug to keep me away from China this summer, its completely over hyped to my mind.
Wild horses wouldn't stand much of a chance come to think of it either ...take that flu swine!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:56:27 pm »
I havent seen the US news in a couple of weeks, but I can tell you on international flights when you arrive in China, they use a type of thermal temperature gun (cannot remember the name at the moment) then when walking into all domestic airports they take your temperature with termal imaging. They have blocked all entrances down to one so they can scan everyone.
Can't fix stupid.

Offline China Shark

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:18:23 am »
Guys you have no idea the type of propaganda that the government is spreading. They are scared ever since the SARS thing. They are not taking any chances anymore. If you have a high fever your doctor puts you in the hospital regardless of what is causing it. My ex was hospitalized for three days and another girl I know from Chnlove was also in the hospital for a week. Everyday that I enter the school grounds I get that thermal scan Ronan is talking about. I really didn't know what it was until a fellow teacher informed me about it. Hell, the kids in my classes are more up to date on this stuff than I am. It is serious business and in thier eyes they are leaving nothing to chance. In a sense it is really a good thing to overreact as opposed to not reacting at all. Just last week my supervisor asked me if I have traveled to Hong Kong or any other places in May. I am a poor English teacher who hasn't been outside of Shenzhen for 5 months. If you are found to have a fever in China you will be put into a hospital whether you like it or not, they aren't playing and will not take any chances. As populated as China is I think this is a necessary precaution. If you are a type to get sick easy put off your trip until a later date. When I first arrived in China I must have gotten really sick at least 4 or 5 times in six weeks because my body couldn't fight off the germs here and also my respitory system needed time to adjust to the increased pollution levels. Now after 5 months the pollution doesn't bother me anymore and the germs now are harmless to me. Believe me guys you don't want to be quarenteened here while trying to see your women. Give it time and this thing will slow down.
China Shark Mike
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Arnold

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:38:36 am »
Oh Man , that is all I need . Go to Guangzhou for the interview and receive Visa for Qing and Swine Flu for me . Maybe NASA has a Spacesuit it doesn't need anymore ?

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 03:26:40 am »
Shark is right, do not take any chances, I have had everything under the sun in my travels, so I did not fall ill at all in China.  But if you must journey take precautions, including wearing medical masks.  Boil your water and only eat at places your lady trusts.  Stay away from people coughing take wet napkins and keep your hands and face clean.
Can't fix stupid.

Vince G

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 07:30:13 am »
Now you guys did it? You talked about it and now there's a new string out. But they say theirs a Vaccine for it and even though it's going around there's no worry.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 01:14:06 pm »
On the news this evening that the WHO are about to raise the threat to level 6 which is global pandemic level.

This, while going by the numbers, is the right thing to do but the planned response in relation to a pretty benign flu bug (in this case) is totally disproportional.
This better not result in me not being able to visit my ling or there will be worse than a few sniffles to contend with!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:14:20 pm by Irishman »
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline quikcad

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:36:04 pm »
Shark or Chong,

Have you guys heard heard anything today about whether the gov't is going to quarantine all incoming Americans? HK is cancelling school for 2 weeks because of several students having the flu. We're worried they are going to implement this before we get there Tuesday.

Thx,
Kevin

Martin

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 08:42:47 pm »
If this swine flu thing messes up my trip in mid July, I am gonna be pissed!

Offline China Shark

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 09:10:59 pm »
Martin, don't sweat it man. Hysteria is starting to die down because the last few days I haven't been thermal scanned upon entry into my school. I think the worst is past and you guys can breathe a sigh of relief.
Shark
Like I just said the hysteria is seemingly dying down in Shenzhen. Only real concern about being quareteened{spelling} should be if you arrive in Hong Kong or mainland China with a fever. If you get past the thermal scan I would think no issue at all.
Shark
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:14:57 pm by China Shark »

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 12:11:35 am »
Guys, I just talked to Angel tonight.  She is saying it is getting worse.  She actually has a case in her small hospital. Definitely Swine flu. They have him in isolation.  She knew of 5 new cases.  Hope fully this is the end of it.  If not. I do not want to think of the consequences.  I do not want to worry anyone.  Maybe it will all be over soon.  Just be thinking of contingency plans.  She has not heard of anything changing in travel yet.  I would seriously think of getting a flu shot before going though.  Just to be on the safe side.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Martin

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 12:14:15 am »
Just a question...and I am not trying to panic anyone...is there any chance the borders get closed?

Offline China Shark

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 01:14:01 am »
Martin I think the chances are highly unlikely that they would close the borders. It would kill travel and tourism business coming into China. Too many rich business men pay the government huge fees and bribes to keep the cash flowing. Health is an important issue yet making the almighty dollar will always take precedent. It would not be in China's best interest to make such a drastic move. First it makes them appeared frightened {lose face issue} second it appears to look like they do not have control of this thing. Realize men are running China therefore the decisions are going to be logical and not emotion based. The only thing I would suggest for you guys to do as a prevenative measure is to stock up and start dosing up on antioxidants as well supplimenting diet with zinc. If you are generally a healthy guy you should be fine here and not have to worry about getting stuck in a hospital. The majority of the flu going around here is you average run of the mill variety. How do you think I feel probably teach around 600 students a week. Imagine the exposure of bugs I must encounter on a daily basis. Get proper amount of rest, eat right and you should be able to stave off whatever is going around here.
China Shark Mike