Author Topic: Hainan Air to Beijing  (Read 2034 times)

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
Hainan Air to Beijing
« on: July 25, 2014, 11:30:41 pm »
Well, one of the major requirements of the China woman quest is getting to China. If you have not given that a thought then good luck if you throw caution to the wind.
It is a long flight. It is a costly flight. Most important is the cost but then your general health is influenced by your choice of air carriers. I do not suffer the 'jet lag' as I did
years ago when I decided my ventures overseas.

Anyway,
I'd like to put in a plug for my favorite air transport to China. Hainan Air is a rated 5Star air carrier. I had the pleasure of China visits on 2 of my occasions via Hainan.
http://www.hainanairlines.com/US/US/Home?gclid=CIufr6u1jL8CFURqfgodWqMAng And, as of this very moment, Hainan Air tickets are steeply discounted because they
have added non- stop flights from a host of airports everywhere. I referenced Seattle below where I depart from.
In addition Chicago, Boston, & our neighbors to the north, Toronto. All flights non-stop. All flights 3 months out or so. All flights new Boeing 787s (Seattle post 1Sept).

Seattle- Beijing, 27Oct- 10Nov, $789.

Chicago- Beijing, 28Oct- 11Nov, $859.

Boston- Beijing, 27Oct-10Nov, $1059.

Toronto- Beijing, 27Oct- 10Nov, $964.
                           (28Oct- 9Nov, $874.) 

As a point of curiosity, an Orbitz inquiry notes Hainan the cheapest cost usually matched to the penny by a couple of the American flagged air carriers.
The thing is American flag loyalty gets you an older airplane & lousy/ or marginal service.
Or 1- stop service that delays your arrival to China. Please check the 'flight details' & especially the 'seat map' occupancies for ticket availability. Hainan is a popular choice.
http://www.orbitz.com/shop/airsearch?type=air&ar.type=roundTrip&strm=true&ar.rt.leaveSlice.orig.key=sea&_ar.rt.leaveSlice.originRadius=0&ar.rt.leaveSlice.dest.key=PEK&_ar.rt.leaveSlice.destinationRadius=0&ar.rt.leaveSlice.date=10%2F27%2F14&ar.rt.leaveSlice.time=Anytime&ar.rt.returnSlice.date=11%2F10%2F14&ar.rt.returnSlice.time=Anytime&_ar.rt.flexAirSearch=0&ar.rt.numAdult=1&ar.rt.numSenior=0&ar.rt.numChild=0&ar.rt.child%5B0%5D=&ar.rt.child%5B1%5D=&ar.rt.child%5B2%5D=&ar.rt.child%5B3%5D=&ar.rt.child%5B4%5D=&ar.rt.child%5B5%5D=&ar.rt.child%5B6%5D=&ar.rt.child%5B7%5D=&search=Search+Flights&_ar.rt.nonStop=0&_ar.rt.narrowSel=0&ar.rt.narrow=airlines&ar.rt.carriers%5B0%5D=&ar.rt.carriers%5B1%5D=&ar.rt.carriers%5B2%5D=&ar.rt.cabin=C

Be advised, I do not receive any financial or any other considerations from any one or more airlines.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 01:25:25 am by JohnB »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
Re: Hainan Air to Beijing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 12:42:53 am »
Well it looks like I might be making a trip end of Nov. or 1st week Dec. with my wife from Calgary to either Hong Kong or Shenzhen. I checked the Hainan air and it would first take me from Calgary to Toronto - wrong direction. Also the price is higher.

Use to be it was easy to get a trip that flew from Calgary - Vancover (or San Fran) - Hong Kong. But now, since its been 3 years since last I flew, it seems that to get the same price, we are forced to make another stop before our final destination. The cheapest > $1000 would require Delta with two USA stops then on to Hong Kong, but since by default, my wife would need to get a USA visa just to transit through the states that cost $190 with no refund if not accepted, I will be needing to pay anywhere from $1150 - $1250 a ticket. From Vancover to Hong Kong was always many choices, but now it seems they have more routes that 1st go through Beijing before heading to Hong Kong, or Shanghai before heading to Shenzhen.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 04:52:17 am »
The problem with Hong Kong is that the airport is running at almost full capacity for landings at the two runways.  They are have problems with locals in wanting to increase the size of the land it sits on so they can add a third runway.

Out of interest just how far is Toronto to Hong Kong? Direct flights by Cathay Pacific Hong Kong to London cost about 1300 US Dollars a ticket (return) if you travel economy.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:08:15 pm »
Willy,
looked up direct flights for Cathay- Pacific on Orbitz as a point of reference.

Toronto
Cathay Pacific 829
Economy
Boeing 777
7,794 mi  15hr 35min

London
Cathay Pacific 252
Economy
Boeing 777
5,981 mi  11hr 35min

Rhonald,
I did the orbitz thing 11/22- 12/8 and found the cheapest fix is around 1,060$, Calgory-  Shenzhen, approx 20 hrs. flight time.
Delta is cheaper via Seattle but it entails the U.S. transit visa as you indicated.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:08:18 pm by JohnB »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 12:26:06 pm »
I just finished using Travelmath.com and get very similar answer but still more of a difference then I thought.

7,814 mi Toronto - Hong Kong     
5,994 mi London - Hong Kong
6,386 mi Vancouver - Hong Kong
6,910 mi San Fran - Hong Kong
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:28:17 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances