Author Topic: Beer Wars  (Read 1649 times)

Offline shaun

Beer Wars
« on: August 28, 2014, 06:19:13 pm »
I thought it might be nice to stir things up a little.

What is the best beer you've drank.   What beer do you normally drink.   What is the worst beer you've ever drank.

For me the best beer I've drank was a home made brew a friend made.   Right now, when I drink I'll drink a Black Crown.   The worst beer is Texas Pride.  It is worse than Coors but not much worse.

Offline maxx

Re: Beer Wars
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:47:56 pm »
Heinekin is what I drink when I drink beer. Pilsner club is about the worst. Closely followed by flat tire.

Coors is the second best selling beer in the United states. It has always been popular in Ark,NM,Tx,CO, brewed with pure rocky mountain spring water. I think it is all right. I will drink it if there is nothing else to drink. When I was a long haul driver we would haul Coors 2 to 3 times a month. Out of Golden CO. Or Denver CO.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:40:52 pm »
Stella Artois is the one for me.

First found Stella in Belgium in 1962 and now it is all over Europe.  I used to take my car on the ferry or on the Chunnel train and and pick up us many 'stubbies' as I could get in my car.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:59:12 pm »
I Don't Ever Drink Beer.

But if I did It would taste like cherry limeade

When I did drink it was Michelob ULTRA, or Miller genuine draft.  Ice Cold.
The worst beer on earth is Sam Miguel after it sits on the loading dock in Shenzhen in the middle of June.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:19:45 pm by Pineau »
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:35:38 pm »
Back in my drinking days!   Best " Michelob " or " Corona "   Worst " Cruz Campo from Spain, Budweiser from the EM Club in Guantanamo Bay Cuba, Miller from Diego Garcia and last but not least some swill (dark stout beer) I got from a club called the Crusaders in Dunoon, Scotland.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 05:19:26 pm »
Best beer is my home brew India Pale Ale....I have some which I am now drinking which is 8 years old...just gets better and better. ;D ;D

Most memorably good was a single bottle of Crown Vintage Lager which I managed to get last year...it is so rare that almost never gets to be available.

Worst beer ever is/was Fosters Lager...gnats pi##  :-\ :-\

But ANY beer must be drunk icy cold..............sorry all you Poms...couldn't resist !!!

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 06:44:50 pm »
Best beer is my home brew India Pale Ale....I have some which I am now drinking which is 8 years old...just gets better and better. ;D ;D

Most memorably good was a single bottle of Crown Vintage Lager which I managed to get last year...it is so rare that almost never gets to be available.

Worst beer ever is/was Fosters Lager...gnats pi##  :-\ :-\

But ANY beer must be drunk icy cold..............sorry all you Poms...couldn't resist !!!
Home brewing is my next hobby, I am still honing my wine-making skills and recipes. :)

Offline shaun

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:13:48 pm »
Ah David!!!!   You hit the nail right on the head.  Beer must be drunk icy cold.  There isn't any better way.  When I drink it I like to fill a cooler full of ice and water and put glass bottle beer in it.  Cans won't do.  Must be bottles.

I understand how the "Poms" as you call them like to drink it warm as I have tried it and it just doesn't rate.  Of course if you drink Guinness Stout cold ye shall surely die.  Warm it is like a syrup but cold it becomes solid and sets up in your bones.

I didn't think about Lone Star Beer.  When I lived in Texas and Oklahoma it was the only beer I drank.   Wish I could get it here in Georgia.  Next time I drive back home I should load up.

I drink a little now days; a few beers a week mainly on the weekend.   Who knows when I will choose that dry spell again.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 01:15:31 am »
I would have to admit Shaun that a real quality, genuine boutique brewed English bitter in a pint glass is a beautiful drink at room temperaure....but it is not available here in Aus (it wont travel well and I cant get the Kentish hops to brew it myself). The lighter Lager style beers that are easier to home brew MUST be drunk icy cold !!, and a home-made English Bitter with the wrong hops is a pale shadow of the original, The closest I can come is the India Pale Ale style. This beer was invented by the Poms when they took over India. Their older "Porter" or "Guiness" style beers would not travel and the Indian climate precluded successful heavy beer brewing...hence they invented a lighter style that would better brew in the warm climate and not be such a "heavy" beer....a noble compromise !!!

Sadly, my capacity for ANY alcohol decreases as I get older, so I'm with you...a couple of gallons good beers on a weekend is about what I can manage these days !!!

Robt S....you should definitely have a go at beer brewing, it is not diffcult to get some fantastic results, especially as you know the tricks and traps through your wine "manufacturing". I find that the secret to great, lng lasting beer is the quality of the original sterilisation process for your botles and equipment. Get that wrong and the whole thing is marginal.

Offline JustJim

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 09:27:35 pm »

Dammit David.... now I want a beer...   Your pale ale sounds great.  I like a good (COLD) pale ale.

Okay, the best beer I ever drank....

I was stationed in Germany in the late 70's  and our post was right next to a monastery that was a good two maybe three mile hike up a mountain.  At the top of the mountain was their monastery and they had a small dining area where you could get a beer and some bread and cold cuts.  The beer was so dark that I could not see the bottom of the mug, and I got to keep the mug too.   Someone told me that is had been rated #2 in the world, but that it was only available right there at the monastery.  You could not get it anywhere else.

I still remember the taste of that beer, and I don't know if it was so good because it was at the end of a beautiful hike, or because I was so thirsty, or because it was just that good.  But I still remember that beer, so it must have been real good.

The worst beer is anything too warm...  is it true that in England they drink it warm?  I can't imagine that, and I hope I got that wrong.

Offline shaun

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 10:40:52 am »
David I would like to brew my own but time prevents me from doing so.  Maybe after I retire from the school system.  I will be, at the end of this school year, able to retire and I'm thinking of taking it one year at a time as long as they meet my requirements.

I never developed the taste for heavy beers.  I tried but just didn't like them.  I don't care much for ale's but I am partial to lagers.  Tried a Fosters a few months back and you're right.  Yuk!!!!!!

Later in the fall a lot of the local home brewers are having a festival am I am hoping I will be able to attend.

Offline JohnB

• the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 12:19:54 pm »
 "Cheers" back in the 1980s. Cliff explained to Norm:

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.
In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

The big exception, Cliff, being Alaska's own beverly hillbilly's...the Palin family.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2802290/palin-family-brawl-photos-guests-open-wounds-raw-knuckles-blood-soaked-pavement-just-moments-family-got-drunken-fight-alaskan-birthday-party.html
I am thinking it must have been the Alaska Pale Ale.