Author Topic: The sirens are sounding  (Read 761 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
The sirens are sounding
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:10:03 pm »
10am this morning the sirens are sounding all over this City and I imagine over every other city in China. To commemorate this day is 1931.

On Sept. 18, 1931, Japanese troops blew up a section of the railway under its control near Shenyang, then accused Chinese troops of sabotage as a pretext for war. They bombarded the barracks of Chinese troops near Shenyang the same evening, thus starting a large-scale armed invasion of northeast China.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline JustJim

Re: The sirens are sounding
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:27:14 pm »
on one of my trips to CHina I spent the days while Mei was at work reading about the Chinese experience during WW2.

The Japanese treated the Chinese worse than the Germans treated the Jews.  I don't remember the numbers of Chinese killed by the Japanese but the numbers were astronomical.  A quick Google search says that the number was around 15 million, mostly civilians.

I believe that the area around where Mei lives was one of the ones hit hard, but not as hard as others. 

Anyways, it is no wonder that the Chinese generally do not like the Japanese.  It helped me to know the history, because that helps me to understand the mentality.