Author Topic: No Granny Dancing Allowed  (Read 953 times)

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
No Granny Dancing Allowed
« on: October 12, 2014, 08:02:11 pm »

CHANGCHUN - A forest of lockable bollards, designed to protect parking spaces, has sprung on a vacant lot in northeast China's Jilin province, in an effort to stop unruly elders from dancing the night away.
The 50 anti-parking devices have been strewn almost randomly across an open space in the Yongchangmeiyu Community of Changchun city, the provincial capital.
Chinese square dancing is very popular with the elderly. Dances can be launched anywhere at anytime; all you need is a ghetto-blaster and some friends, though passers-by often stop and join in. Groups of dancing elderly ladies are a common site at dusk all over China. Aging flashmobs take over subway exits, parking lots, shopping malls and even rain carriages or the expressway.
Yongchangmeiyu residents say the loudspeakers disturb their lives, but the dancers refuse to turn down the volume or find a new place.
"They dance from 6 pm to 10 pm every night. The music is so loud that we can still hear it even when we close our windows," Qu, community resident, told Xinhua, adding that he had failed sleep well for the past year.
Qu said calling the police was no use. The noise is so bad that some people who could not bear it had sold up and left.
Conflicts caused by dancing have caught plenty of people's attention in recent years.
A man in Beijing's Changping district allegedly fired a shotgun in the air and unleashed three Tibetan mastiffs to scare away a group of women whose dancing annoyed him. The man was arrested, said a Beijing newspaper last October.
According to the Ministry of Civil Affairs, people age 60 and over account for around15 percent of China's population, higher than the United Nations 10 percent threshold for an "aging country".
In an urbanizing China, it is not easy for so many retirees to find entertainment venues without affecting others.
"Dancing is good for you, of course. If they would shorten the time and turn down the volume, most people in the neighborhood would accept it," said Li, another resident.
Many places including Hefei city, Anhui province and Shaoxing city, Zhejiang province have already issued regulations to allow dancing for a limited time, in non-residential areas and at a proper volume.
http://www.chinadailyasia.com/chinafocus/2014-10/10/content_15176437.html

Looks like the elders were rocking the night away too loud for the youngsters to sleep! ;D

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: No Granny Dancing Allowed
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:35:12 pm »
My wife loves the opportunity of taking part in the evening dancing sessions.  The favourite at the moment is on the forecourt of the new complex we will be moving to when the decoration etc is completed in a couple of months.  That one operates from 8pm to 9pm every night.

I quite like watching as well (as some taking part are a lot younger than Grannies,) but then I like to see women moving in unison!  ::):P

Willy

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 08:46:07 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 09:34:37 pm »
A man in Beijing's Changping district allegedly fired a shotgun in the air and unleashed three Tibetan mastiffs to scare away a group of women whose dancing annoyed him. The man was arrested, said a Beijing newspaper last October.

An individual in China shooting a shotgun?   I didn't think the average citizen could own a firearm.  Enlighten me wise ones!

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 10:28:05 pm »

An individual in China shooting a shotgun?   I didn't think the average citizen could own a firearm.  Enlighten me wise ones!
unleashed three Tibetan mastiffs, If you can afford 3 of these dogs you are most likely not the average citizen! Many people have guns in China some are smuggled in and some are handmade, but you are right about it being illegal for the average citizen to own guns.  http://www.chinasmack.com/2014/stories/large-gunfight-in-guangxi-manipulated-online-comments.html
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:31:25 pm by Robertt S »

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:03:25 pm »
Here is a new opening act for your block parties Willy!

Offline shaun

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 07:06:03 pm »
If you own three dogs in China you either have a butcher's shop or a restaurant.  ;D