Expats in Asia > Housing and Food in Asia

Roast Duck you say?

(1/2) > >>

shaun:
Well for Thanksgiving I am doing something a little different.  The traditional thing is that I will be getting up early to smoke a turkey but along with that I will be roasting my first duck Canton style.

I've had quite a time talking with my wife on how to do this.  First my wife was horrified that I can't buy a duck with it's head and neck still attached.  I told her you can't buy any dead animal in America with its head attached, even a fish in most places.

She wanted me to put the stuffing inside the duck and sew up it's back side.  Then she wanted me to put the hose of a bicycle pump into it's mouth and blow up the abdomen.  Well I found way too much humor in this and I was severely rebuked for it.

I told her that I would do everything but apply the air.  She didn't like the idea.  I asked her, if a duck is missing its head and neck how is one to tie it off to keep the air inside?"  I told her that I would speak for 2 hours while I cooked it and that should be sufficient hot air for the subject at hand.  She didn't understand as usual.

Needless to say I will be roasting a duck tomorrow morning minus the air.  ;D

Willy The Londoner:

--- Quote from: shaun on November 26, 2014, 06:49:32 pm ---  I told her you can't buy any dead animal in America with its head attached, even a fish in most places.

--- End quote ---

Not that fresh then ??? You mean that chicken, ducks etc are not running around your kitchen moments before they give their last cluck or quack!!!! Oops sorry I lived here to long I think. ;D 

But even so  I still cannot get used to the head staring at me as it is stood up on the serving platter before the fight for its brains take place.

Willy

shaun:
Yes I remember the first time my wife sucked the brains out of the skull of a bird.  A pigeon no less.  I just about threw up right there.  After I recovered a little I told her I would not be kissing her that night.  It got quite a chuckle from every Chinese person at the table.

Willy The Londoner:

--- Quote from: shaun on November 26, 2014, 09:34:18 pm ---Yes I remember the first time my wife sucked the brains out of the skull of a bird.  A pigeon no less.  I just about threw up right there.  After I recovered a little I told her I would not be kissing her that night.  It got quite a chuckle from every Chinese person at the table.

--- End quote ---

A Pigeon brain eh!

Was she cooing all night? Or did it help help find her way home ok?

Willy

Pineau:
Hey Shaun, We can get duck here in the Denver area with the head still attached. Pacific ocean seafood market has them hanging on hooks in the window.  Maybe its just a local thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version